Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Poppy's Am I A Girl? is 2018's The Fame

Princess Stache

Featured Posts

Princess Stache

Now hold up before yall drag me because this is a very bold claim, I can back myself up.  Am I A Girl? is enigmatic, eccentric, and mysterious artist Poppy's 2nd studio album, following a couple EPs and singles.  While The Fame is a debut album and Am I A Girl? is not, I believe there are a lot of common themes and shared sentiments.  The albums are both intentionally vein and artificial in some areas, Poppy and Gaga are both very self-aware.  They're both experimental and GP friendly at the same time.  Some songs are more experimental or public-friendly than others, but what is ultimately brought to the table is a completely unique sound in pop.  They both pull from genres across the musical spectrum, The Fame pulled from synth-pop, glam-rock, hip-hop, etc.  Am I A Girl? pulls from rock/metal, synth-pop, EDM, electronic, etc.

My point is, I am a huge fan of Poppy's new album, and as a long-time Gaga fan, I can't help but make comparisons and connections.  I genuinely think this album is something fresh pop desperately needs, just like Gaga brought with The Fame.  Please check out this album if you haven't yet!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5QCXxPUwoOtxeZQmve6w2u?si=cwCN-IPMQaeLWziHo50rsA

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom Nook

I’ve seen videos of her concerts and I get huge Candy Warhol vibes

Uh Red Wine... Convict... Gah Gah...

beaublue

It’s not that I don’t like Poppy but I wouldn’t compare Am I a Girl? to The Fame. Conceptually, stylistically, performance wise & basically just the scope of it. The Fame was a massive album filled with commentary on pop culture, genius lyrics & perfect melodies. It worked seamlessly together to create a cohesive vision Gaga had. The Fame was only experimental in the way that it was using more stereotypical pop than what was considered popular at the time. Other than that it wasn’t very experimental. The Fame also had commentary behind its vain lyrics & thoughts on self image. There was a purpose to everything. Gaga also didn’t have someone in the background manufacturing her & telling her that what she was allowed to say through music had to tie in directly with a certain image & concept. So I don’t agree that Am I a Girl? can be compared to The Fame & it’s massive success & why it was so massive. It literally changed pop, Gaga literally changed pop forever.

2 hours ago, Stronger said:

but titanic sinclair...

That’s like her Rob Fusari :poot:

Get ready for The Poppy Monster to follow up :poot:

There could be a 1000 doves in the sky...

TheSlash
3 minutes ago, Tabasco said:

Get ready for The Poppy Monster :poot:

Inb4, it's gonna be called "Am I a Monster?" :vegas: 

OT: It sounds pretty good, but unlike Gaga Poppy doesn't change the game of music with that album. The problem is that today's music is over-saturated with EDM . Several years ago I was excited, these days it just sounds basic, so it's hard to be unique using EDM in music. Unless you're really experimental ( SOPHIE :flutter:  :lana: ), then you can impact music, again :pray: .

Ew, David!

RAMROD

Sorry, but nope. Isn't.  :giggle:

Also, Poppy will stay as gimmicky act. :diane:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Giorno Giovanna

it is more her The Fame Monster 

Poppy.Computer was her The Fame

このジョルノジョヴァンナ夢がある

RudraCNG
45 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

it's probably my favorite album released this year :giveup: 

This.

I don't think it's comparable to The Fame tho. I mean, Gaga and Poppy sure have things in common, but this is already Poppy's third album, everybody knows the "role" Poppy is playing but she's not even close to Gaga's impact. Maybe she needs to promote herself more, or not to be stucked in that "robot" role, or to be more ambitious, idk.

She's a very interesting artist and I love this last album, that's for sure.

RahrahWitch

I mean maybe it has similarities to the fame, but nothing too drastic I think. Poppys whole character is basically the manufactured industry popstar with some satanic themes. I find that concept interesting and it makes me want to like Poppy but Her monotone character is simply put, Boring. and her Songs since she took on this character have been terrible in my opinion, I loved the bubblebath EP. I think she could benefit from some new people when it comes to her music especially a songwriter because my god those lyrics are cringe. 

But back on topic, as someone else said, It's more her The Fame.

A Hybrid
5 hours ago, lovedillon said:

The Fame was a massive album filled with commentary on pop culture, genius lyrics

:ladyhaha:

No family’s safe when I sashay

Archived