Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
brand

NYP: To save itself, Facebook must start charging users

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

181117-facebook-column.jpg?quality=80&st

First, Facebook should charge users a nominal $5-a-month fee. You can give seniors a discount so you don’t lose them.

Netflix does, Amazon does, Apple does. It would make Facebook rely less on selling user data.

While this will not totally eliminate nefarious acts on the platform, it does provide a paper trail to track bad actors.

Second, split the company in two and spin off Instagram. It’s probably worth more than the original Facebook platform anyway, and it will stop the corporate contagion from spreading and polluting that category champ.

For Facebook, it’s charge for it and/or split it. There’s no other viable option.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/17/to-save-itself-facebook-must-start-charging-users/?utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=Native&utm_campaign=NYPFacebook

Glamourpuss

I won't pay. I'm already thinking about leaving Facebook and making me pay will definitely make me leave permanently. 

I would only pay if Facebook was moderated properly. It's not even easy to report things on there. (I mean reporting serious things like animal cruelty and peados). 

GypsyBabe

I totally wouldn’t pay. I barely go on it as is. 

I miss the original days when only University students could have accounts. It was great for networking when I was in my first few years of college. Now its disgruntled soccer moms bitching about bus stops and crazy Trump supporters and trolls. 

⚯͛

RahrahWitch

Facebook is on it's last leg to be honest. It's just how it is, Just like myspace, a new supreme is rising :oops:

Honestly, good riddance. I'm ready for a new social media, Facebook's basically dead, Instagram is literally 20% advertisements and has become near impossible to build a following on unless you're already popular. I want something fresh :dry:

I will copy all my history, download all the things I shared on there,

then they can start to charge.

its 2018 people rarely use it.

LateToCult

Haven’t used Facebook since 2015. If they do that they’re just gonna drive off the remaining older people.  :awkney:

TimisaMonster

I don't use Facebook, but have it for "connections" with distant family and friends...and that's with it being free right now

Make me pay even $5 a month....:bye:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

If nobody is using Facebook anymore, what is the popular thing? Instagram? 

Asking because everyone where I live still use it. Though most of them rarely share or post but are pretty active on IG.

This is a little off topic but I have a little rant that's geared towards the comments in this thread. Facebook used to be cool. Then it was Snapchat. Now it's Instagram.  Maybe I'm just getting old but I can't help myself from rolling my eyes and cackling at how fickle humans are. It doesn't matter how you dress up social media, it's still shallow and awful for mental health and forces people to live a dishonest life. Instagram is just a popular and accessible way to wh0re out your image to the world for quick attention. Glad I got rid of it a long time ago. Tired of people mocking others for using a non trendy social media outlet when at the end of the day it's all the same thing. /endrant

freebit

That would be dumb. They should ideally try to keep all the users they can, not scam them. A lot of people use it for networking purposes and to keep up with family. Charging them would just be the final nail in a coffin. Finding a good way to fight sock accounts is better than practically throwing the whole thing away.

19 minutes ago, Logan said:

This is a little off topic but I have a little rant that's geared towards the comments in this thread. Facebook used to be cool. Then it was Snapchat. Now it's Instagram.  Maybe I'm just getting old but I can't help myself from rolling my eyes and cackling at how fickle humans are. It doesn't matter how you dress up social media, it's still shallow and awful for mental health and forces people to live a dishonest life. Instagram is just a popular and accessible way to wh0re out your image to the world for quick attention. Glad I got rid of it a long time ago. Tired of people mocking others for using a non trendy social media outlet when at the end of the day it's all the same thing. /endrant

I feel the same. People have always used the internet to flex and present an image, but it's gotten worse. I feel like social media sites have evolved to be more and more about image than communication. As a result, everything feels more superficial. For example, fandom used to basically reside on livejournal, but then everyone abandoned it for tumblr. It's hard to have an actual back and forth discussion on tumblr, so fandom became more about gifs/memes as a result IMO. It's become the same for facebook ---> twitter ----> instagram. You can type your thoughts out in the comments, but the platform is really just for images. 

Archived