Mariah Carey - Caution

badgirlmeat

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

My review:

In one word: Cohesive

In a second word: Chill

in a third word: Harmonious 

I was able to listen through the album twice now and it is certainly a step up from her last album. This is Mariah's most cohesive album since The Emancipation of Mimi. It had a common sound that made it easy to listen to all the way through. The Elusive Chanteuse was a jumble of so many different sounds that I thought I was in rush hour in a city. While Caution's best moment doesn't exceed the best moment on Elusive Chanteuse (#Beautiful), it delivers solid tracks through most of the album. GTFO is for sure my favorite on the album. "A No No"'s sample of "Crush on You" is BRILLIANT. The top artist of the 90s sampling a song by the biggest male and female rapper of the 90s? Artistically intelligent (even if it didn't set out to be that way). This song is my second favorite on the album. The album brings back that chill R&B vibe of the 90s, while incorporating trap beats of today. One critic's review touched upon how that makes Mariah seem like she hasn't evolved with the music industry. But what's wrong with blending the old with the new? Gunna is the best feature on the album. He adds to the sound of "Stay Long Love You". This song reminds me a lot of an Ariana Grande song from one of her first two albums. But isn't Ariana just the evolved version of Mariah anyway? I like how the album ends with "Portrait". It's a good tone to end the album on. I can just picture the lights dimming as the song ends. The piano playing is great here. 

So while this isn't the Mariah of the 90s (those vocals are gone), it demonstrates the most focused version of her in over a decade

Best Songs: GTFO, A No No

Sidenote: She was smart not to stall the album once the single failed to catch on, because that kept it from looking like a joke like the Elusive Chanteuse. It also showed that she believed in the album

Anderson123

This is actually the first time I listen to Mariah’s music and I liked the album. It’s nice, short and enjoyable. 

That J

I love this album. Quite impressed honestly as I didn't know what to expect. 

While the songs pretty much keep a similiar chill flow, the vocals and songs themselves separate just enough to where nothing sounds the same. Everything is individual here. 

The fact there are only 10 songs works this album wonders as there really is no wasted time. It's short and its sweet and that's all it needs to be.

What's most impressive here are the vocals. Finally Mariah decided to rest her voice and sing in a comfortable tone for her. Shes not wailing, shes not screaming and shes not pulling those punches she CAN still do. It was time to go easy for the protection of her voice and she has!

Highlights...Giving Me Life gives me life. I'd looooove a video for Caution which I find to be one of the best tracks of the album. 

To sum this up, this isnt the Mariah of Emotions or Emancipation of Mimi. This is the Mariah of Butterfly. It almost feels like a continuation of Butterfly. 

So if you enjoyed the Fly, you'll fly to this. 

Mariah Carey CAUTION 4/5 stars

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

I usually don't like 'chill' albums but this one is just amazing I literally can't skip any track.

I disliked GTFO when is was released but it grew on me so much :excited:

Trinity: A No No, Stay Long Love You, Giving Me Life

doppelganger

I've had some time to digest...

This is my fav album since Butterfly and E=MC2 (which is better than TEOM in my eyes). The vibe is amazing, finally a cohesive and contemporary album not pandering to what her fans expect - no WBT rehash, no choir driven piano ballad, no unnecessary belts / vocal runs, no JD. It's Mariah at her most confident in a long time.

Givin Me Life is her best song in a long time. Caution proves that no one does a R&B melodies like Mariah. A No No is a fun song that should get a single treatment. 

There's only one song that I can do without that is With You. But even that song has interesting lyrics. 

The final song "Portrait"  think speaks a lot about where Mariah is in her life: 

Where do I go from here?
How do I disappear?
Here beyond the looking glass
Somewhere off the beaten path

Archived