💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why was Shallow not included in new NOW! hits compilation?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

On the new NOW! compilation, the last numbered one due to be released this year, I was totally expecting to see Shallow on the tracklisting, considering that the song was #1 for 2 consecutive weeks in the UK and has remained a solid top 2 hit ever since and has currently returned to #1 on itunes. I even wondered if it was going to contain IWNLA or ARUTW seeing as both songs charted at #27 and #25 in the UK respectively and are still in the upper echelons of the top 20 itunes. The compilations have so many spots to fill that they can totally fill up the reamining spaces with top 40 hits, you understand. Colour me surprised when I clicked on the site to discover the official tracklisting today and found that Shallow is not there, nor are any of the ASIB songs. Bizarrely, there are songs included that have barely cracked the top 40 and a song that was literally just released last Friday and therefore hasn't even debuted on the chart yet for us to know if it's a hit yet, so its inclusion on a hits compilation is clearly pre-emptive and they called it wrong. Just so you know, NOW! has always been supportive of Gaga, including all her #1's and top 10's on previous compilations. They even included PI on NOW! 95 despite it only going #12 in the UK! They even put Pokerface in their exclusive landmark edition of the compilations. So, why have they not put her on this? The album has included Clean Bandit's Baby (#33) and Cheryl's Love Made Me Do It (literally released this week and hasn't debuted on the chart yet) and Panic! At The Disco's High Hopes (a literal cover!) but won't include Shallow?

However, I have some potential reasoning for this. Seeing as there's a cover song from the Mamma Mia 2 soundtrack on there and that movie's currently out on DVD, perhaps the compilation has a rule that you can't include a song on a compilation until its finished its run in cinemas? Mamma Mia 2 came out in the summer, so by rights, that song should have been featured on an earlier compilation, so waiting until now suggests that it wasn't eligible until it had finished screening? Which means that ASIB's songs might have to wait until the first 2019 compilation (February?) before inclusion. It's also worth noting that Ariana's recent #1 hit, Thank U, Next was not included on the tracklist (yet GIAW was? Wth?) I also think the compilation is playing catch-up as they made one disc consisting of current hits plus a second disc of the biggest hits from the last 100 NOW's to celebrate NOW! 100, which means they didn't feature as many new hits as they could have but wanted to shove out the anniversary edition before Christmas plus a new one. Maybe they're waiting until after Christmas to give a few bigger hits a proper airing.

I know it's not that big of a deal but NOW! albums still sell (you can buy them digitally, you know) and to see their exclusion of a clear #1 hit in a compilation when they're supposed to be all about chronicalling records of hits of the last few months seems like it needs to be called into question.

androiduser

most likely Gaga's team didn't want the song on the compilation and preferred to keep it off so anyone interested can buy the single or the soundtrack.

They can't even if Gaga wanted.. it's rights issue, I think it comes from WB and not Interscope, as long as the movie is still screening, any original song of the soundtrack is exclusive to the soundtrack..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

StrawberryBlond
4 minutes ago, River said:

They can't even if Gaga wanted.. it's rights issue, I think it comes from WB and not Interscope, as long as the movie is still screening, any original song of the soundtrack is exclusive to the soundtrack..

Do you think the rights will come through, eventually, in that case? I just want to see a new Gaga song that was a #1 hit featured on a hit compilation! It's great for exposure!

2 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Do you think the rights will come through, eventually, in that case? I just want to see a new Gaga song that was a #1 hit featured on a hit compilation! It's great for exposure!

It took My Heart Will Go On a few years to be on NOW, before that it was none or the dance mix, depends on the country..

I think only from mid 2020.. in 2019 we will see the awards show run + the dvd run..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Catnikko

You answered your own question with the still in cinema part and also thank u next is her most recent and pretty sure these CD's don't release a song on their own album so soon after something's come out

Archived