Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Billboard: Why 'A Star Is Born' Isn't Wowing Overseas Audiences

Gam

Featured Posts

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t get where they’re taking this from? All I see in here everywhere I look is praise for the film. This is astounding keeping in mind I live in a conservative latin country that can’t even relate to the movie plot or the music.

ImpossiblePrincess
39 minutes ago, Pietro said:

It's a good movie. The music is great. But the film isn't outstanding. The critics loves it but the audience not so much. It's kinda "meh" for some people. Here in my country the cinema was almost empty, only 6/7 people. 

The cinema was sold out for me and that was 3 weeks after the movie I tried booking at an earlier date and that was sold out too 

Welcome to GagaDaily, it looks like things just got messgendary.

NintendoMONSTER

I‘m from Germany and watched the film with some friends and my girlfriend... no one got emotional... I think that‘s because the German voices are kinda terrible!

Plus: The Love story wasn‘t built up very well and destroyed by the far too long  Bradley sceens... :( 

But it‘s still a good movie and the soundtrack is kinda slaying here 

CautiousLurker

1) Overseas performance doesn't equate to quality - don't forget that WoW the movie and Transformers 4 (or 5, does it matter?) were hits in China :lolga:

2) I don't mind that the movie focused more on Bradley's character - first of all, look, Gaga was fantastic, but Bradley is a professional actor, and with movie really pushing the theme of substance abuse to the forefront, it just makes more sense to focus on Jackson and give the load which is portraying a troubled individual struggling with alcoholism to Bradley... 

And sure, you can make the argument that seeing a star in the making is a more compelling narrative - I don't necessarily agree with that but I get why for some people that might be the case... but struggle with substance abuse is a more important narrative, and considering how vocal Gaga is about the importance of mental health, I think she would agree...

3) It's meant to be a more thought provoking film, not a blockbuster that appeals to the masses and ensures they have a good time, so comparing it to the likes of Venom is unfair - those are very different films with different priorities and goals in mind... 

Sassy McSass
51 minutes ago, Jaume said:

It's such an American focused story with SNL, Grammy... but for me it worked.

This. I went to see it with my family and my dad said he kind of liked it, but there were times he didn’t understand what was going on. My sister in law, on the other hand, who is not a Gaga superfan but is younger than me, loved it and keeps listening to Shallow everyday since.

Superhero and action films are easy to understand. It’s just like “let’s save the world” and stuff. But movies like ASIB are difficult for most people in a lot of countries. For an example, Americans consider the Super Bowl the biggest sport event but most people in lots of countries (including mine) don’t even know it exists.

That said, I think it’s pretty ridiculous writing an article like that when the movie did well beyond expectations, including overseas. I guess someone needed the attention. 

I’ll keep looking for Wonderland

Vitleysingur

Who cares tho

The majority of Academy members are from English spoken countries. And its not like ASIB flopping in other territories. KEEP IN MIND IT IS SLAYING IN THE STATES so overseas countries seems a little bit underperformed.

:ohwell:

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.

Daredevil

3 songs of ASIB are in the Swiss top 20 and Shallow has been #1 for over a month 

sure :ladyhaha:

but if you watch the dubbed versions, then of course it’s not gonna be great. most people in my country watch it in English anyway 

Emigrante

its still not out at my country but ton loada of my friends are really excited to see this.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

1 hour ago, gam said:

“And many criticized the film for focusing too much on the male character — Bradley Cooper's drunken country rock star Jackson — instead of the more interesting story of the female singer played by Lady Gaga."

Same

Emigrante

lol from what I see that’s not true at all. movie is really well received and is a massive hit.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

It has made over $1million in box office takings so far in 17 countries where English is not the first language.  

Who cares. It's still a brilliant masterpiece! Venom was watched by more people, so? Is it better? Hell no!

And the movie scored over 300m worldwide , with a budged of 30+M. 

I honestly find this article a little confusing. 

In my cinema in Costa Rica today is the last screening :(

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

RAMROD

They didn't lie, let's be honest. The plot although universal but also restricted. It is back to each country's culture again. 

Let's not blame other movie for it. A Star Is Born is a festival movie, if you know what I mean. People have to dig deeper to get it. Plus, it is also a musical, which always 50/50 with audience abroad. When put against a blockbuster movie, whatever it is, it will always be placed second or wven third worldwide, because block buster films are always more easier to understand. Not to mention their own local films that most locals would prefer to see. Honestly, even if Venom are not released the same date, it will be another blockbuster title that will reap the profits more. Let's say if Halloween released earlier, people would still be choosing Halloween over ASIB.

(ïŸ‰â—•ăƒźâ—•)✧*: be delulu until it becomes trululu (*Ž艞*) ♡♡♡

Archived