Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga as Auteur

Othon

Featured Posts

Hello, Gagadailysters. :vegas: 

I've been thinking about Gaga's career and her overall artistic M.O. after another user recently asked whether there was a coherent theme to ARTPOP or if it was just a formless mess and I stumbled across this old essay that was recently updated online that echos a lot of what I've felt over the years. 

https://moviescene.wordpress.com/2018/10/02/find-your-jesus-find-your-kubrick-lady-gaga-as-auteur/

"Lady Gaga was like a smack in the face at her career peak, from about 2008 to 2010. As if a Phoenix risen from the ashes of the global economic recession, she embodied the voyeuristic, post-reality show pleasures of an audience gaze and intentionally cobbled herself together, seemingly, from the consumerist detritus that got us into this mess in the first place. She was late capitalist performance art, all the garbage and joy, validation and indictment of the early 21st century as one pop singer, daring enough to let the audience hang her on live TV, and bring her back from the dead, a cycle of life and death she keeps repeating throughout her work. Though live performance is crucial for Gaga’s act, music videos are her medium. Gaga, née Stefani Germanotta, through her videos presents a vision, often of powerful women and the deconstruction of fame, through each of her music videos. For Gaga’s videos, the delineation between film art and music video threatens to disappear, but her auteurial hand is always present."

Let me know what you think, hunties! :gaysia:

Robo Ga
1 minute ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

music videos are her medium.

I miss these days, because it certainly isn't true anymore. 

🤖⚡️

Just now, Robo Ga said:

OrdinaryFickleHyracotherium-size_restric

We have to have faith, sis. LG6 is coming. :vegas:

AStarIsBorn21
4 minutes ago, Robo Ga said:

I think her music videos fit the music. 

Miracle
22 minutes ago, Robo Ga said:

Lady Gaga's medium have been live performances since 2010. It's where she puts the most focus, artistry and talent, all at the same time. Attending a Lady Gaga concert is like entering a world made for glittery, goth, gay trans cowboys people who think beyond.

Robo Ga
54 minutes ago, Miracle said:

Lady Gaga's medium have been live performances since 2010. It's where she puts the most focus, artistry and talent, all at the same time. Attending a Lady Gaga concert is like entering a world made for glittery, goth, gay trans cowboys people who think beyond.

Yes, which I love, but her music videos made me stan. Not everyone can go to a live performance and experience that first-hand. They can watch it on youtube, but it's not the same. Music videos are a more intimate medium that is catered to a home viewer wherein the performer has complete artistic control over the audio and visual, usually with a storytelling and acting component, which Gaga THRIVES in. Let alone the fashion and choreography that can be achieved in a music video that can't be achieved live. 

LG6 better come with huge videos man. I'm talking nothing like Million Reasons or PI.

I want Paparazzi, BTW, MTN, Telephone, Judas level videos. Boris take notes 

🤖⚡️

Bradley
1 hour ago, Robo Ga said:

I mean two of her last four videos are ballads, I personally love Million Reasons and Joanne, but we can't possibly expect a Telephone-style video for Million Reasons, right?

Adele has the most simplistic videos for songs like Hello, Someone Like You, Send Your Love so why are people surprised that Million Reasons and Joanne follow a similar route?

And Perfect Illusion slays so hard, I think it's severely underrated.

AStarIsBorn21
2 hours ago, Robo Ga said:

Yes, which I love, but her music videos made me stan. Not everyone can go to a live performance and experience that first-hand. They can watch it on youtube, but it's not the same. Music videos are a more intimate medium that is catered to a home viewer wherein the performer has complete artistic control over the audio and visual, usually with a storytelling and acting component, which Gaga THRIVES in. Let alone the fashion and choreography that can be achieved in a music video that can't be achieved live. 

LG6 better come with huge videos man. I'm talking nothing like Million Reasons or PI.

I want Paparazzi, BTW, MTN, Telephone, Judas level videos. Boris take notes 

We’re really going to pretend GUY and John Wayne don’t exist? :messga: Besides, Joanne is a beautiful music video and fits the song. The only ones worth not boasting about is PI or MR, but her last two have proven she’s still amazing at making music videos. 

Robo Ga
47 minutes ago, AStarIsBorn21 said:

We’re really going to pretend GUY and John Wayne don’t exist? :messga: Besides, Joanne is a beautiful music video and fits the song. The only ones worth not boasting about is PI or MR, but her last two have proven she’s still amazing at making music videos. 

John Wayne is good but nowhere near the level she used to be for MVs. GUY is just not good. Million Reasons video was lazy. PI had a good visual but it wasn't enough, needed more settings, a storyline, etc. 

You're right though, Joanne (piano version) is BY FAR the best video of the Joanne era and I genuinely LOVE it - it fits the song perfectly and it is so beautiful and authentic. I wish she had done something similar for Million Reasons. 

🤖⚡️

Robo Ga
3 hours ago, Bradley said:

I personally love Million Reasons and Joanne, but we can't possibly expect a Telephone-style video for Million Reasons, right?

No, but we can expect much more than recycled shots from her SNL promo and a video of her singing while getting her makeup done. Just because it's a ballad doesn't mean it can't have a great video.

🤖⚡️

hoebitch11
Just now, 01Jaime said:

Care to explain?

Oh hunni, the thread is dropping in 5 minutes. get ready, find it in gagathoughts <3

RAMROD
4 hours ago, Robo Ga said:

Just because it is less complex doesn't mean she stopped using MVs as her medium. Perhaps you just don't get the simplicity. Even Million Reasons MV tells a story. You may just overlooked that fact :triggered:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Archived