💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

New pop singers are unambitious nowadays

Bradley

Featured Posts

Earthling

I totally agree with you, I can hardly distinguish any of these new pop girls from each other....except for:

alice chater

This little pop-diva is literally still in her incubation phase but she is so damn exciting 

She's got the incredible vocals, insane dance moves and an enchanting look to match

*she switched baristas. ☕️

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Slayne

Agree, but I also think it might have something to do with the current climate. People aren't interested in big personas anymore, they want quick lil singles they can play on Spotify.

Also I disagree with classifying Charli XCX as not ambitious, music-wise she's one of the most ambitious if not THE most ambitious POP girl right now.

This thread is so great and well done that I couldn't desrespect you by just using a simple reaction icon.

I agree on everything you said, I was going to write a similar thread at some point but I think I couldn't write it better than you did.

BUT, I have to say something, I think that's it's not about inability but impossibility, I mean, in the first list you made, there are serveral pop singers that, other than having a good voice and catchy songs, have interesting videos and high production performances as well, but still struggle to be as big as the ones in the second list. So I wouldn't really talk about unambition or lack of starpower, because a lot of them are really talented, I think the problem is actualy in the second last word of the title, "nowadays".

Music is currently dominated by men, mostly rappers so it's really hard for a woman pop star to emerge and have a smash success. I mean, even if some of the singers you talked about had, as you said, some hits, they'll never be able to have a consistently successful career, while the girls in the second list were all over the charts in the past, it was a different time and people probably had different interests musically speaking.

I can't deny that older pop stars were (and still are) way more creative than the new ones. In the past each song instantly became a worldwide hit, every look was iconic and every performance remembered. They were more controversial and always on the news, basically everything they did was impactful, and we still remember and talk about them, while I'm sure we'll forget these new pop girls in a couple of years.

DONAJENDRO
3 hours ago, swakby said:

I'm sorry but putting Charli XCX as an unambitious artist is atrocious. She's literally the future of pop music. 

This. Her music is more experimental than Gaga's ever was and people call her unambitious? :oprah:

Mad Onna

I think there are some ambitious pop project out there, ionna lee (iamamiwhoami), grimes, janelle monaÊ marina and the diamonds, billie ellish, aurora, troye sivan, trevor something, poppy (she gives me fame vibes with her videos).... 

On the other hand it's hard to be a real big superstar, you gotta be such a trendsetter, hyper talented, and strong af... Not every artist can reach this level nor has the ambition for sane reasons. 

hello hello baby.

4 minutes ago, DONAJENDRO said:

This. Her music is more experimental than Gaga's ever was and people call her unambitious? :oprah:

People are going to come at us for this but yeah.. :ohwell:

Glamourpuss

I agree with everything you've said about those lower tier pop girls. But people know this about them and the quality of music yet they still consume it. Things won't change unless we tell the music industry that we have higher standards. Too many of us are accepting the standard they give us and then they think it's enough. I personally don't pay attention to the charts because it's all trash but many others allow the charts to dictate to them what they should be listening to. 

Eh, I don't really agree with Charli XCX being in that list. She has done A LOT for pop music, and continues to always create new music for us pop-obsessed gays. To me, she's done so much for pop and continues to do so. She might not be everywhere in the media, but that doesn't mean she isn't influential and ambitious. Look at all those underground pop raves she's been hosting. She's keeping pop music alive for damn sure.

lgaga1fan

Charli sweetie... I am SO sorry.

Charli is literally pushing the PC scene forward and revolutionizing a new sound (a sound that Gaga is copying for LG6 btw), and is both an amazing performer and creator. She does not deserve to be put in a box with those other people when she is literally more ambitious in her music than most of the artists in both of the groups you listed. 

GhettoFabulous

Hmmm agreed until Charli XCX  like imo she’s the most interesting popstar rn like she’s pushing boundaries,experimenting and switching up her sound something most of the others listed don’t  actually do tbh. 

FlopSlurper
1 hour ago, Earthling said:

I totally agree with you, I can hardly distinguish any of these new pop girls from each other....except for:

alice chater

This little pop-diva is literally still in her incubation phase but she is so damn exciting 

She's got the incredible vocals, insane dance moves and an enchanting look to match

I came here to say this, but you forgot to include the bop that is Girls X Boys. This queen is nowhere near famous as the other girls but she's far more talented, like I'm talking x738338 times.

Taken from her website:

"Pocket rocket pop newcomer alice is aiming high. We’re talking Madonna, Beyoncé and Lady GaGa levels of triple-threat superstardom, all on-point choreography, high-concept videos and attitude-laden vocals that aren’t afraid to belt. Bored of a modern pop landscape that’s rigid and way too-cool-for-school, alice is here to shake things up, with the help of some of pop’s biggest names: Max Martin’s right hand man Rami Yacoub; fellow Swede Carl Falk; Year & Years’ producer Mark Ralph; Katy Perry collaborator Bonnie McKee and Mozella, who penned Wrecking Ball."

If you she isn't an ambitious queen then I don't know who is.

Their problem is that they are too real, too human.. you can easily talk with them on Twitter like their are your best friend.. so it's destroying any star piece from their stardom..

The previous generation of singers came during the middle times, when social media didn't exist at all and you were far from the artists and also when social media was pretty new so it was super exiting when someone tweeted..

All this is gone now with the new artists.. it's not that they are lazy, the close connection with the fan cause them to do what the fans wants and to be challenge.. it's like a Singer-On-Demend

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Archived