Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

US Pop Radio Refusing to Spin Shallow - “Doesn’t sound like top 40”

Stef

Featured Posts

ArtGagaPop
8 minutes ago, Levels said:

Radios shoud be ERASED from the Hot 100 formula.

Agree, i mean the charts pretty much everywhere else in the world is streaming based+sales or streaming only. Why should radio still count in the US :oops:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schizophonic

but we should mention that shallow is currently at its top 40 peak

US Pop Radio #31 (=) (Peak)

it might still climb

Itsbrenda
3 hours ago, BadMonster said:

Kinda a non argument, it's cuz it's Gaga, not cuz of the music. We all know they'd eat this up if Rihanna or Beyonce released this

Being real.. Beyonce hasn’t had a hit for YEARS, I think the last one was Single ladies/telephone? 

I think it’s more an age thing 😅

Didn't they initially have the same reservation about playing Just Dance? Look how that turned out. You'd think they would learn...

Im blonde, I'm skinny, I'm rich, and I'm a little bit of a bitch.

crushedlemonice
1 hour ago, Levels said:

Radios shoud be ERASED from the Hot 100 formula.

Exactly. Sales and streaming really shows the demand for a song. What's the point of having such a heavy emphasis on Hot 100 charting if DJs can just decide to not play a certain song even if it's popular, just because it's not what sounds like everything else on the radio?

derpmonster
5 hours ago, Admin said:

Yes because if Adele sang it, it would have a much more radio-friendly vocals, production, and structure.

I'm sorry, did you call Adele's vocals radio friendly? :air:

It's one of the harshest voices ever and Gaga's ASIB voice is among the GP's favorites

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

derpmonster

Can we please do a mass request or something from major stations? It's worth a try. Please?

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Arturo
50 minutes ago, Schizophonic said:

but we should mention that shallow is currently at its top 40 peak

US Pop Radio #31 (=) (Peak)

it might still climb

It will climb. Should be #30 tomorrow and maybe even #29 if Back To You by Selena finally goes recurrent and disappears due to Mediabase rules

6 hours ago, Pantera said:

This is why radio is trash. Why would you want 40 songs to all sound the same?

Coherence

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

giskardsb
3 hours ago, AStarIsBorn21 said:

I think pop is much more technical when it comes to genre. Obviously Kendrick Lamar isn’t pop music, despite his music being very popular. I think it has more to do with how solidified a genre is based off it’s popularity. Hip-Hop has been popular for decades, so it’s able to be its own genre apart from “pop” music, same with rock. When I think of pop I think of recent/modern-esq. If it sounds like a song that woud never have been made, let’s say, 20 years ago, it’s pop. Shallow honestly could’ve been a song from the 70s or anytime after that. The sounds aren’t new or fresh, they’re very classic. An easy genre it fits into, that has been solidified with other popular music, is country-rock. I hope you get what I mean. Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood was a huge hit. Doesn’t mean it was pop because of that. Stressed Out by TOP is still Alternative despite it’s popularity.

Pop is not inventive, it sanitizes movements being made outside the pop sphere.  True musical invention happens elsewhere, usually an underground "not popular" scene.   Of course some minor trends show up in pop that don't elsewhere, ex, the rent-a-rapper, but true musical invention... not so much.  That doesn't mean good music doesn't come from the pop realm, of course it does.   And pop used to be where really good songwriting could occur and be accepted, although thats not the case for the vast majority of what gets played on top 40 these days.  

KatieJudasGaga4
1 hour ago, crushedlemonice said:

What's the point of having such a heavy emphasis on Hot 100 charting if DJs can just decide to not play a certain song even if it's popular,

This is how I heard Just Dance for the first time in June 2008! The DJ loved the song and introduced Colby O' Donis first, then said the newcomer "Lady Gaga" and then said I jam to this song!

More proof that Gaga should leave pop music behind. I don't want her to lower herself to make more generic songs like The Cure to try to get played on radio. Pop music limits her talent and she should move on. Make an amazing record with Lukas Nelson and let the younger girls play that silly game.

Archived