Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

US Pop Radio Refusing to Spin Shallow - “Doesn’t sound like top 40”

Stef

Featured Posts

What is most discouraging about what the programmer said is that there seems to be a reluctance to play Gaga in general since Joanne. and we know that if you are out of radio for too long not smashing that format then it is harder in general to obtain a future radio hit. Oh well. Luckily we have amazing sales and streams on our side thanks to Gaga's amazing talent. Radio is the most politicized component of the charts honestly. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Admin said:

It's not very radio friendly. The vocals and production are still very raw. You can't really compare it to those polished Adele songs.

I'd have to disagree - yes the production and vocals are raw but it still is a catchy pop ballad. 

If we're talking truth, there is a stigma against Gaga within the GP and music industry. Luckily 'A Star Is Born' is proving to be quite popular amongst everyone.

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

Radio should honestly be taken out of charts. This is proof that it only reflects what DJs want to spoon feed, not what’s actually popular in the country. 

Jonathanholland

This is exactly why the charts shouldn't take radio into account. imo the radio should be free to choose which song they play but the bias of these people shouldn't influence chart performances since the song is obvious doing great on both streaming and sales..  

6 minutes ago, Admin said:

Eh, I just know that if I were in a car with my friends I'd rather bop to "Taki Taki" than wait two minutes for the chorus of "Shallow" to even begin, even though "Shallow" is obviously the better song and I like it a lot.

Shallow isn't exactly a song people put on to bop to tho. 

Before there was love, there was silence

TwerkinLurkin
10 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

I mean, it's not like that's new information or anything. I said this before in a previous post: I don't envision Shallow becoming a huge hit. Now obviously, it's doing well right now. People know the song, people like the song, and it's her first #1 in a long time, but I don't see it becoming a mega hit. 

The structure of the song is just so unorthodox that, to me, I have difficulty seeing how it'll do well on pop radio. It' not structured like a normal song "should" (i.e. verse --> chorus --> verse --> chorus --> bridge --> final chorus). The structure is more like verse --> verse --> chorus --> bridge --> final chorus, and in my opinion, that is just too long to get into the "meat" of the song.

I'm not trying to downplay Shallow or anything. I love the song, and I know there are a lot of people out there (not just fans) who feel the same way. The problem is is that it just doesn't sound like anything else in the Top 40. That's an objective fact.

One final note, this isn't me praising the Top 40 either. I hate it. 

I don’t think this is the problem though I think the problem is they never give not only gaga but anyone that doesn’t release a song that sound like everything on top 40 a chance I mean Gaga’s first 3 singles sounded like nothing on top 40 for an example. It just seems like now their to afraid to take chances with different sounds or to play artists that aren’t considered “hip” anymore thinking they’ll lose listeners to “streaming services” to hear what they want

Blackwillow
3 minutes ago, JonathanHolland1 said:

This is exactly why the charts shouldn't take radio into account. imo the radio should be free to choose which song they play but the bias of these people shouldn't influence chart performances since the song is obvious doing great on both streaming and sales..  

Shallow isn't exactly a song people put on to bop to tho. 

This sum  up everything :vegas:

my question is what can we do to make it happen?

Just now, SevenWonder said:

And Always should be put out next. That is radio friendly.

Like it’ll even matter :madge: 

Signature loading… 👹🖤

crisTEAne

it is the song that every friend of mine remembers and likes the most. it's literally stuck in their heads. that's one of the hallmarks of a pop song—and a good pop song at that. europe remains superior once again. 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

2 minutes ago, Stef said:

Like it’ll even matter :madge: 

At this point Interscope could even sent out the pop songs of ASIB, which are bops and very contempoary, and get paid dust :madge:

I am glad that Europe is behind Gaga once again.

43 minutes ago, Admin said:

I wish Gaga all the success in the world and obviously want "Shallow" to smash, but I don't really see anything wrong with it? I mean, it's not really a pop song?

but it is pop when its the #1 song in the uk. its the most POPular thing out. here anyway. plus it has a great catchy chorus like traditional pop songs have. 

Archived