💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

US Pop Radio Refusing to Spin Shallow - “Doesn’t sound like top 40”

Stef

Featured Posts

Rolling in the Deep didn't sound like anything else either.

But she became so big they had to play it.

These programmers should be forced to play Shallow too because the movie is so big.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
evgenigerm2

Doesn't sound like Top 40? What the hell is that supposed to mean? The album is literally #1 for a third week on Billboard 200 and the song reigns on iTunes (30+ days at #1), Spotify (Top 10) and Billboard 100 (Top 20). :excuseu:

„I allow myself to fail. I allow myself to break. I'm not afraid of my flaws.“

Andrea B

Shallow is slaying EVERYWHERE in the world except for the US. Here in Mexico, I hear shallow in every store, every radio station, etc. I don't get why they don't want to play it, their excuse is stup*d 

freebit

I remember it took them forever to finally start playing Bodak Yellow - like was already a Billboard hit from high streaming, sales & hip hop/rap formats before pop radio finally dragged their heels to play it. I don't think this will happen with Shallow (I doubt the label will be able to push it much further), but it's just such a shame that US pop radio basically lives in its own world and ignores obvious popular hits because of their sound (and crazy since the format was much more diverse 20 years ago). 

Reality
1 hour ago, TwerkinLurkin said:

I don’t think this is the problem though I think the problem is they never give not only gaga but anyone that doesn’t release a song that sound like everything on top 40 a chance I mean Gaga’s first 3 singles sounded like nothing on top 40 for an example. It just seems like now their to afraid to take chances with different sounds or to play artists that aren’t considered “hip” anymore thinking they’ll lose listeners to “streaming services” to hear what they want

Well, that's cause it's a business though. I don't agree with it, but that's how it's run. If it doesn't meet up with what people want (the demand), then it's not worth their time trying to implement it. 

🖤👹

ssslyboy

Reminds me a tad of "Hung Up".  It could only muster #7 on Hot 100, despite being #1 on iTunes for several weeks, I believe, since radio wouldn't play it.  Although "Hung Up" is a completely different kind of song than "Shallow," it was similar in that it was too "different" sounding for radio to bother with it, and also radio was just boycotting her at the time, apparently. However, "Hung Up" was #1 everywhere else in the world, and became one of her biggest worldwide hits.  Seems "Shallow" may have a similar fate.

TEANUS
1 hour ago, LateToCult said:

At least she didn’t say that they refuse to play it just because it’s Gaga. It kind of gives me hope that if Gaga actually makes a true pop record with her own stamp on it and promotes it like a proper single they’ll still play her.  :cryga:

Kinda agree with this but at the same time any person with any knowledge of the entertainment industry knows not to publicly talk down on Gaga because of us :rip:

Poor Ed. Poor Chainsmokers. Poor Pigrez.

Spoiler

On a side note though all this really means is that Interscope didn't send over any checks yet :huntyga:

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

goldenrealm

Let's campaigning #FiredPopRadioProgrammer then, It's because of them all top 40 sounds the same, stay the same, to the point it can become boring

LeJudas

All these people in the top 40 and none of them are as highly regarded and decorated as Gaga. Not one one of them has the talent, success, beauty, or power that Gaga has. These people struggle to do what she does and they're considered good? 

2 hours ago, Admin said:

I wish Gaga all the success in the world and obviously want "Shallow" to smash, but I don't really see anything wrong with it? I mean, it's not really a pop song?

it is pop in the sense that it is POPular. it has been #1 on itunes for over a month now. remember some of the biggest pop songs ever don’t necessarily sound “pop”. think of the beatles, queen, even gaga herself! rah rah ah ah ah ah!

2 hours ago, Admin said:

It's not very radio friendly. The vocals and production are still very raw. You can't really compare it to those polished Adele songs.

Everybody on this site seems to think they have a good understanding of what “radio friendly” means. 

Bohemian Rhapsody is quite possibly the least radio friendly song, yet is still frequently spun to this day. If a radio station chooses to play the song, it’s a radio song. Plain and simple. 

Look how many Gaga songs that this fanbase claimed were super radio friendly, yet performed like ****. 

“Radio friendly” is not an excuse. 

HEARTSTOP

I think there's this idea that liking Gaga is "cheesy" and "uncool", so they don't play her songs BECAUSE THEY STILL LIVE IN HIGH SCHOOL INSIDE THEIR HEADS. They wanna be "popular, edgy and cool" and they think being associated with Gaga will ruin their chances for acceptance.

Spoiler

Basic bitches...:madge:

IDGAF

Arturo
2 hours ago, MisterDeDe said:

I just checked top40.... so Drake and Travis Scott are pop, right? 

Sicko Mode is 28 and Dont Matter to Me is 29. Shallow is 31 with very similar spins.

https://kworb.net/radio/

Pop Radio is hesitant to play anything that goes beyond what they consider radio friendly but at least it should enter the 20’s in the next couple of days

Archived