series

The Haunting of Hill House

Coop

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince
On 10/23/2018 at 6:06 PM, Coop said:

A question for all of you who have finished the show:

Reveal hidden contents

in the last scene of the last episode we can see the family celebrating Luke's two years of being clean. Steven's wife is also there and she is pregnant. How is she pregnant if he had a vasectomy? Were they maybe still in the Red Room?

tenor.gif 

Vasectomies are reversible 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mirrion Rizzons

I loved it, and

Spoiler

iI knew the bent neck lady would be nell once we learnt how nell died, but I still gasped and screamed when she kept falling through the ceiling and little nell saw her.

Spoiler

I thought the whole time until the end that the house maybe wasn't haunted, but the family was, but it was revealed thatboth were to an extent lol

Spoiler

the shirley's was a BRILLIANT casting, lulu and Elizabeth look so similar

Spoiler

adult luke and steven were DADS

Spoiler

Young luke and nell were so adorable

Spoiler

I was shook about the treehouse, dance room, play room etc link

Spoiler

my favorite character was theo, her scene when she broke down crying and begged for shirley's forgiveness was SO GOOD. Also the lesbian representation was spot on in this show

highly recommend to anyone

avalon x
On 10/21/2018 at 6:34 AM, PlastiscGuy said:

I couldn't even finish the first episode, the first half seemed eternal and I got bored :neyde:

:ladyhaha: I thought I was the only one. I wouldn't have watched past episode one either if I didn't get my family involved and make it a thing. I'm trapped till it's over now. :neyde:

The plot is interesting at times but as a horror show it does nothing for me. It's even kinda repetitive of movies I've seen before and predictable at times. The cast and the visuals aren't particularly stunning for me either.

I'm only seven episodes in and I'm yet to be scared or have my mind blown. Like you keep hoping something big will happen like a major twist in the plot or like a massive care but womp womp. (I know it's not like that for everyone though.)

But I do like the hidden things in the background and the easter eggs, along with some aspects of the story.

AHS has ruined me, tbh. :laughga: Everything else feels so bland and inside the box compared to it.

avalon x

<Spoilers ahead> <Spoilers ahead> <Spoilers ahead>

Omg, I just finished it and there were barely any plot twist past episode 5. :awkney: And even then it was so obvious who the bent neck lady was. The second half of the season was so dull and the last 10 minutes.. it's like it suddenly turned into a Disney movie. :sharon: Everyone lives happily ever after, yay.

By far one of the worst endings I've ever seen. And the whole show was just sooo unnecessarily long and stretched out. A movie would have been far better, tbh. I'm sure the book was miles better but the show didn't do it justice at all. The whole season it felt like they were building up to an amazing revelation (aka plot twist) but that just.. never happened. I was only startled/scared in just one scene in the whole f*cking show, the one in the car.

And the dudley's suddenly have a 2nd child as big as Luke and Leia who's actually the girl in the woods and whoops! She's dead. :ladyhaha:

(Also I found the story extremely unoriginal. I know this wasn't intentionally done but I found so many elements from other horror movies and shows.. even some horror games. That is partly my fault though because I've seen/played so many. But tbh, if fresh stories like AHS can exist.. so can others.)

I'm glad other people are enjoying but I honestly have no idea why. :laughga: Even my mom and my sister hated the way it ended.

Sorry for the huge rant, I'm just bitter that I wasted 10 hours watching something so disappointing. :awkney:

SlaeUrAnus

I loved it.

Would love a second season highlighting the other ghosts and their backgrounds. 

In my messy era.

Glittertinks

I really loved the series. It's finally some more classic horror / Gothic horror elements that I have started to miss in the horror genre lately. I especially loved how they constructed the characters and I had a lot of favorites. 

Spoiler

I loved that old man ghost!!! 

I hope Netflix will produce more horror series like this! 

tomsches

Spoilers ahead!

I've just finished it and I absolutely loved it. It's been a long time that Netflix released something that captivated me that much. I tried to only watch 2-3 episodes a week so it wouldn't end that soon.

So, I really liked that they used so many elements from the original movie and the book. I'm always a big fan of allusions and intertextuality... in the night... in the dark...

I liked the characters and the way their stories were told. Acting was great. There were definitely some scary moments, like when they are in the hidden wine room under the kitchen and the floating old man ghost. It's also technically extremely well made. Especially at Nell's funeral when there's one long one-shot scene that takes about 15 minutes or something. It's such an amazing, scene, brilliant acting and they manage to build up tension in a way that modern movies don't do anymore unfortunately.

In the end, I think the whole series is rather a family drama than a horror story. I do agree that the last night was a bit underwhelming and that the ending, while I think it's a great idea and it's a beautiful ending for the family, it felt underwhelming as well compared to what the first few episodes promised. 

Nevertheless, I loved it very much and I recommend it to anyone who likes psychological atmosphere-based horror filmy and family dramas. 

Spoiler

I thought it was really dumb how the father finally accepts that he didn't treat his kids right and then he goes and allows himself to die to be with his wife...So much character development and then it just gets wasted. I guess they can always visit him, but something tells me they aren't ever going back to that house again. 

I like the alternate ending the director had considered where the final shot where they are celebrating Luke being 2 years clean the Red Room window is in the background insinuating they never escaped. 

Glamourpuss

It was absolutely amazing. I felt that the last 2 episodes took a different turn and it was very underwhelming for me. 

But the writing, acting, cinematography, etc was absolutely brilliant and I'd give it all a 10 out of 10 if it wasn't for the ending. 

Nell's and Luke's episodes were my favourite.

And holy **** that scream in the car made me crap my pants. I was holding my cat at the time and he flew. :ladyhaha: 

The siblings represented the 5 stages of grief. Did anyone else catch that?

I'd just like to say about those who say it was slow and it dragged. You simply don't know how to enjoy a horror. It's slow on purpose to build suspense. You are supposed to allow yourself to succumb to the fear so that you're scared of what's about to happen next. It gives you a rush of adrenaline. My stomach was flipping, my heart was pounding and I screamed pretty much every time something creepy happened. If you're watching in the day time or with the lights on, playing on your phone and chatting to people at the same time you aren't creating the right atmosphere to enjoy it in and it's obviously not going to be scary. 

Archived