💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Diane Warren confirms ASIB pop songs were meant to be fun not bad songs

monketsharona

Featured Posts

monketsharona

I saw someone tweet that “Why Did You Do That?” is supposed to be a “bad” pop song, and you replied, “That was not the intention, actually.”

No, it’s not the intention. I would never purposefully sit down to write a bad song, although I guess I’ve done some without trying that turned out that way. This was a fun song, and I love fun pop songs. Not everything has to be serious all the time.

Was there any sort of directive about what this song was supposed to represent for Ally?

No, the directive was just to write a fun song, something that shows she’s becoming this pop artist.

Did you know that Bradley’s character, Jackson Maine, would later make fun of the lyrics?

It surprised me when I saw it! I was sitting next to my friend and I jabbed her in the arm and went, “That’s my line he’s quoting!” I love that her character defended her music. It doesn’t have to be what he thinks music should be — music can be everything. It can be a serious song, it can be a pop song, it can be a song about an ass.

And is he any more authentic? The film points out that Jackson adopted his older brother’s voice to make it in rock. In many ways, his persona involves as much artifice as hers.

That’s true, when you look at it like that. Her character writes her own songs, and maybe that’s how she expresses herself. It doesn’t make her character less artistic than his character.

As someone who has worked with many pop stars as a songwriter, did Ally’s arc ring true to you?

I’ve seen stuff like that, where they try to push an artist — especially a female artist — into something they’re not, and then they rebel against it and try to discover what their true voice is. But by the way, maybe her true voice is being a pop star, you know? And that’s O.K., if that’s who you are.

But a lot of people think it’s less important than a good rock song. They treat it like — —

A guilty pleasure, right? But it has its revenge because it sticks in your brain. And then you end up saying, “Why did you do that, do that, do that.”

How did you feel about the movie in general, once you saw it?

I thought it was really impressive. The thing is, when Gaga was talking about acting in it, some people I know were like, “She’s not gonna be great,” but I knew she would be. I’ve spent time with her, I know how hard she works: This is someone who works with a vocal coach for hours a day. She has that discipline, that work ethic that very few people have. She has it, and Beyoncé has it. They just go that extra mile. Good isn’t good enough, so when I knew she was serious about this, I knew she would be great — and she is.

More here :

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/movies/why-did-you-do-that-a-star-is-born.html

Very interesting interview in my opinion :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hola Soraya

giphy.gif

Diane being iconic and supportive as usual. :heart:

¿Tú me estás hablando en inglés?

FullPsychotic

C'mon WDYDT lyrics about the jeans and the ass are embarassing ahah

I really like Heal me lyrics and can understand HBF even if it's not that deep...But seriously WDYDT?

Of course Jackson makes fun of her. In the parkin lot scene she creates deep lyrics about him in like 5 seconds, then again "Look what I found" lyrics in the cafe. And then she starts talking about the ass???

Ally's character had to be coherent, she defenfed her artistry, her nose etc just to become an ass lyricist?

I'm with Jackson, who else?

monketsharona
8 minutes ago, FullPsychotic said:

Camon WDYDT lyrics about the jeans and the ass are embarassing ahah

I really like Heal me lyrics and can understand HBF even if it's not that deep...But seriously WDYDT?

Of course Jackson makes fun of her. In the parkin lot scene she creates deep lyrics about him in like 5 seconds, then again "Look what I found" lyrics in the cafe. And then she starts talking about the ass???

Ally's character had to be coherent, she defenfed her artistry, her nose etc just to become an ass lyricist?

Gaga has already wrote cringeworthy lyrics all along her career and does it make it bad songs ? No... 

The point of Diane Warren is that you can make fun songs being as great as serious songs when it's the goal of it... And she's right.

Heal Me, Hair Body Face and  WDYDT are as good as ARUTW, ILNLA or ITA. They just don't have the same goal and they are just not calling the same emotions. Some are made to be fun others to be emotional. That's all...

Sneaky Oliver
7 minutes ago, FullPsychotic said:

C'mon WDYDT lyrics about the jeans and the ass are embarassing ahah

“Not everything has to be serious all the time” :trollga:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

blackpink

She’s right. Jackson is a pretentious rat. Music lyrics can mean N-E-THING-UH. He clearly didn’t listen to ARTPOP. 

Music doesn’t have to be super deep and serious all the time. If I want to sing about going to the Store with Carly Rae Jensen then I will :awkney:

GagaMyBlood95

Exactly what she says, it's far from being a bad song but it was intentionally written to be distinctive from the songs we hear at the beginning of the movie!

This was supposed to be the typical fun outgoing, not deep meaning pop song, that is still a good song, but the opposite of something like Shallow

Nicogly

idk why people say fun as if fun meant dumbed down... the song iss meant to be shallow, gaga herself says so in the beats 1 interview

Rock On and A Last One For the Road 🚬

derpmonster
41 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

someone who works with a vocal coach for hours a day

:air:

10+ years into having a career as a singer.
Probably 20 years since starting to sing. :air:
I literally started singing 2 years ago and have a once a week 50 minute session and I think I'm doing great. oh henny :messga:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Archived