Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why did Gaga decide to do the Vegas residency?

YourEvilTwin

Featured Posts

YourEvilTwin

I'm not against the idea of a Vegas residency, especially one with a limited number of dates like Enigma, but the timing just doesn't make any sense. Why did she make such a decision when she knew she had a big studio movie coming up and the promotional duties that would come with it, not to mention a new album expected next year?

She promoted the film in the weeks leading up to the release, and has all but disappeared since, presumably to rehearse for Vegas. She's already missed an academy screening in LA and a bunch of high profile interviews. She could be performing songs from the film on any TV show she wants, which would undoubtedly boost the box office and soundtrack sales, and raise her profile and reputation among the GP even further - just think what one live performance (Someone Like You at the BRIT Awards) of the right song did for Adele's career, and Gaga's got a bunch of right songs on the soundtrack.

With the award season coming up, the rehearsals and the show dates will continue to get in the way. She may have to skip key events that no award contender should ever miss, just like the academy screening. The very fact that she's doing a Vegas residency may work her against as well - sure, we stans know that Enigma is different from the kind of residency that Celine, Cher, and Britney have done, but the academy voters don't. The negative connotation of a Vegas residency associated with the industry standing and general relevance of a star could really be used by haters or even award competitors to their advantage.

Even if Gaga and her team didn't anticipate that ASIB would turn out to become such a success and a potential award juggernaut at the time, it still doesn't make sense to make such a choice in this particular moment of her career. They've just made her one of the most respected musicians in America by making all the right choices in the last few years. She's still very much relevant in the public consciousness, even if her commercial performance isn't what it used to be. The Super Bowl set her up really nicely for the next album cycle, and she's in a great position to return to the top of the pop game if she plays her cards right. I just don't understand why she would follow up years of calculated efforts with a Vegas residency.

rumours

I think the choice to do it may be based on the the fact that she didn't finish the JWT, and she may want to be performing again (except in a more stable environment due to her fibromyalgia). Furthermore, she'll make a hell of a lot money... far more doing this vs. the money she will make off of the ASIB soundtrack/movie for example.

Awards mean nothing? She literally doesn't care about the academy? The movie itself is finished?

The thing is, after a movie is finished and airing, it's done. A finished project. Even if it fails, it's a finished project.

An album, a music era is an unfinished projects until the end of the era.

Gaga probably wants to work on a music era than play up academy awards officials.

Or a movie era. Or a book. Or literally anything.

Awards probably don't mean much to Gaga. She has a fandom. She has done good for the world. 

YourEvilTwin
8 minutes ago, Seeka said:

Awards mean nothing? She literally doesn't care about the academy? The movie itself is finished?

The thing is, after a movie is finished and airing, it's done. A finished project. Even if it fails, it's a finished project.

Gaga probably wants to work on a music era than play up academy awards officials.

Awards probably don't mean much to Gaga. She has a fandom. She has done good for the world. 

Um yes, she absolutely does very much care about awards, and evidently so.  She certainly did when she won Grammys for the first time when she cried like a baby. Or the second time when she brought all the trophies to show them off on Jay Leno. Or when she won the Globe and made the worst speech of her career. Only Gods and truly eccentric weirdos don't care about awards. Gaga is neither of those things, whether you believe it or not.

And no, a finished movie != a finished product. It's only finished when you fulfill all your promotional obligations as stipulated in the contract. I'm not suggesting that Gaga is not fulfilling her contractual obligations, just saying that promotion and award campaigning is part of the game that no professional entertainer can avoid.

The only answer is because she wants to and think of it like a part time job while she's creating music. :vegas:

giskardsb

Everything in your post is predicated on the stan based assumption that Gaga should be trying to "maximize" her position and that awards and acclaim or being considered #1 are the most important thing to her. It's also only a Stan based narrative that Vegas is for washed up stars.  Nobody in the true Gp that's sees Gaga in Vegas will be thinking that.   Stans invented that thinking simply to denigrate other pop stars, and now it's coming back on Gaga stans. Karmas a bitch.

52 minutes ago, YourEvilTwin said:

Um yes, she absolutely does very much care about awards, and evidently so.  She certainly did when she won Grammys for the first time when she cried like a baby. Or the second time when she brought all the trophies to show them off on Jay Leno. Or when she won the Globe and made the worst speech of her career. Only Gods and truly eccentric weirdos don't care about awards. Gaga is neither of those things, whether you believe it or not.

And no, a finished movie != a finished product. It's only finished when you fulfill all your promotional obligations as stipulated in the contract. I'm not suggesting that Gaga is not fulfilling her contractual obligations, just saying that promotion and award campaigning is part of the game that no professional entertainer can avoid.

Meh. If she didn't win those awards she still be creating.

And I guess I'm a weirdo because awards really mean nothing to me. A lot of shitty things have awards. 

I don't care about the "professional entertainer" bit. I'm gazing at this more like an artist. And when a project is finished, it's finished. You do your due diligence about it and move onto you next, if you already didn't get bored during the middle of your previous project and began working on several million other things.

gypsy101
2 hours ago, Seeka said:

lol she doesn’t want the oscar? sure Jan.

also the answer is money

Well you don't know if she's missing all these events due to the residency. Maybe it's that she doesn't want to attend. Maybe it's her illness. Maybe she just missed a plane. Maybe she's busy furnishing her new mansion. I'm sure that if she wanted to attend, she could have done so. 

Kindness rules all.

derpmonster

I think the most strategic idea behind Vegas was how she was cancelling JWT and she needed something more lowkey, stable, and with breaks in between for her health. ASIB was originally gonna be May (when she planned Vegas), right after the JWT ended. Promotion for ASIB and soundtrack would go on and then by the end of the year she'd be ready with LG6 and Vegas at the same time.

Now obviously things change. But she's not going to cancel or reschedule even more shows. She can do just fine the way it is.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Archived