Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

WDYDT is not shallow (minor spoilers)

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

RadioIsOurs

To all that thinks that WDYDT is just a shallow pop song with cringy lyrics...well your thoughts are kinda justified.

But do you ever stop and consider to look at the lyrics in the context of the film? Yes, on the surface it's about being turned on by an ass in some jeans, but if you look at it from Ally's perspective, it does have another meaning.

The performance of this song happens at a point in the movie when Ally felt like her identity as an artist is lost, like she's turned into someone she isn't. Maybe she eventually accepts the route her image is taking, but still, her manager is very controlling of her.

When she sings 'this is not like me', 'I'm the kind of girl that always needs to be free', she's very clearly singing it to her manager. It's like a desperate plea for help, disguised as a catchy pop song, because that is the only way she could express it. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9IlWMMIZkQXp4qNhVv6m

I assume everyone got that when they watched that scene? Even my mother got it...

Spoiler

And even if you're not convinced...how can you not enjoy it? It's such a bop :triggered:

DaftFameMonster

this is why I should pay more attention to lyrics :selena:

Quartz

Regardless of meaning, this song issa bop. Fight me.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

doppelganger
1 hour ago, RadioIsOurs said:

'this is not like me', 'I'm the kind of girl that always needs to be free'

This! 

zakariah

noah fence but I thought it was kinda obvious when watching the movie :shrug:

Spoiler

also once I started typing my reply, WDYDT came on shuffle :firega:

RadioIsOurs
6 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

noah fence but I thought it was kinda obvious when watching the movie :shrug:

Hide contents

also once I started typing my reply, WDYDT came on shuffle :firega:

I haven't seen anyone make mention of it when talking about how it is shallow.

YeehawKylie

Eh, I don’t get why an artist can’t sing about texting and being turned on by a nice ass? I totally get why Jackson as a character would see it as vapid but so many critics say Ally’s pop music was made to be purposefully bad. I just don’t see it....

RadioIsOurs
Just now, IndieKylie said:

Eh, I don’t get why an artist can’t sing about texting and being turned on by a nice ass? I totally get why Jackson as a character would see it as vapid but so many critics say Ally’s pop music was made to be purposefully bad. I just don’t see it....

Maybe because it's too direct? I do think the lyrics are a bit too on the nose, like it's purposely trying to make the sexual part very obvious. I prefer sex songs that have more playfulness and poetry. 

Shipper

Even Diane Warren,  the cowriter of  WDYDT said it wasn't supposed to be a bad pop song.  Just something fun and catchy. 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

39 minutes ago, Shipper said:

Even Diane Warren,  the cowriter of  WDYDT said it wasn't supposed to be a bad pop song.  Just something fun and catchy. 

Queen of confirming bops

Archived