celeb

Amy Winehouse biopic officially in the works

thehanyo

Featured Posts

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LateToCult

The family of Amy Winehouse has signed a deal to make a biopic about the late singer. Monumental Pictures’ Alison Owen – mother to Lily and Alfie Allen – and Debra Hayward will produce the film. Winehouse’s life story will be adapted by Kinky Boots writer Geoff Deane, and shooting is due to start in 2019.

The Winehouse family will act as executive producers. Proceeds from the film will benefit the Amy WinehouseFoundation. Winehouse’s father Mitch said the family had been repeatedly approached regarding a biopic but previously felt “the time was not right”.

“We now feel able to celebrate Amy’s extraordinary life and talent,” he said in a statement. “And we know through the Amy Winehouse Foundation that the true story of her illness can help so many others who might be experiencing similar issues.”

Owen and Hayward affirmed their commitment to telling the stories of “amazing women, both real and fictional”, such as Queen Elizabeth I, Bridget Jones, Jane Eyre and Mary Poppins author PL Travers. “We’re proud that Mitch Winehouse has entrusted us with the story of amazing Amy, an icon whose songs have provided the soundtrack to a generation,” they said in a statement.

Mitch Winehouse denied suggestions that Lady Gaga, acclaimed for her performance in the new remake of A Star Is Born, would play his daughter. “I wouldn’t mind betting it would be an unknown, young, English – London, cockney – actress who looks a bit like Amy,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/15/amy-winehouse-family-sign-multi-million-pound-deal-biopic

Well, it’s happening y’all. This is something I’m personally not excited for because I don’t think her father’s goal is to honor her.  :ohno:

[mods I don’t think this has been posted yet so let me know if it has]

highlikegaga

i'm sick of this Mitch person always banking on Amy's legacy and life. LEAVE HER ALONE.

we all know he was one of the main reasons Amy ended up where she did - pushing her to make money, not helping her and not being there for her when she needed him. And Amy (the Oscar-winning documentary) showed the truth. He can choke. :vegas:

AndrewGr
18 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

" Lady Gaga, acclaimed for her performance in the new remake of A Star Is Born"

The only part of the article that matters :vegas:

13 hours ago, Lucas said:

Lmao, just like you can get vocal coaching, same thing can be done for accents. Anyway, I think Gaga would be a good choice. She's got the vocals, she even looks like Amy.

rCT8CiJQrNbiV6MzqWa8lem7B1FIKM9YMdyl7brW

Heck even they're pretty much (near) the same height 

aaron l

Kind of don't know what to say at this point. All I know is no one can truly tell her story down to the nitty gritty besides Amy.

HausOfMark
14 hours ago, Lucas said:

Lmao, just like you can get vocal coaching, same thing can be done for accents. Anyway, I think Gaga would be a good choice. She's got the vocals, she even looks like Amy.

Gaga is the only person I can think for for this part. Not being biased but she looks just like Amy and Gaga is pretty much a chameleon and can so be Amy! 

-Mark

I think this is a poor choice for her ASIB followup solely because it's important Gaga does not pigeonhole herself into doing ONLY music movies, or movies that lean on her musical abilities.

Gaga is a phenomenal musician, yes, and ASIB is great in large part to its music, but I think it'd hurt Gaga in the long run (as an actress) if the perception arises that she's only good in musical. That's also why I'm glad they submitted ASIB to the Academy Awards as a drama. Whatever role she takes next should definitely be something WITHOUT music so that it's abundantly clear she's a top tier actor with or without her voice backing her up. 

(not saying it isn't already clear with ASIB, I just think that doing another movie wherein she's obviously going to sing might make it seem like those are the only types of movies she's going to do) 

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

In order for a biopic to be made, I truly believe only Amy's vocals should be used.  No other artist should try to sing like her.  It'd be impossible to replicate and would cheapen the experience.  

I always thought Gaga and Amy looked a lot a like, Gaga obviously looking more healthy. I thinik Gaga would play her very well. Sometimes Biopics can be a really good tribute to a person's life. Amy diserves it. 

Archived