new video

Charli XCX, Troye Sivan - 1999

monsterdino

Featured Posts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Well, yes it does. Because ripping off songs is a big deal, especially if the rip-off gets more success. Theft of art is a serious matter in this business and it can result in lawsuits. Let's put it this way - would you have this flippant attitude if one of Gaga's songs was blatantly ripped off? Especially if it got acclaim across the board, commercial success and considered to be an original idea? I don't know about you but I think the cardinal sin of being an artist is stealing another artist's work and passing it off as your idea. It doesn't matter if the person you stole it from is "untalented," artists shouldn't do this to each other.

But it's better if it's genuine and autobiographical. I don't like to see artists jump on a trend or popular concept just to get a hit, to me it's not what making music is all about. While, yes, it's not the first time we've heard a Baby One More Time and NYNSC reference, it's less likely to be a coincidence when it both instances occured in two songs that were made in roughly the same time frame and released mere months apart. I can get behind the fun aspect, don't get me wrong, but I've never been one to subscribe to the notion that "pop is just mindless fun, it doesn't need to be meaningful, groundbreaking or original." I think pop can be so much more than that and perhaps if pop's own fans treated the genre with more respect, perhaps the public and critics would respect it more and we'd get better pop songs into the bargain.

So what you're saying is that they should stick with their own generation? Then Gaga shouldn't have covered all those songs with Tony and "I Want Your Love."

I don't get your comments at all. Basically you're saying is that they can't revisit a point in time, you don't know about their upbrinings, maybe their parents loved the 90s and made them listen to it. And if you're talking about rip-offs let's not forget that Gaga isn't 100% original.

22 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Can't anyone see that this is a blatant rip-off of Anne Marie's 2002 song, which only got released a few months ago? I mean, it's only a difference of 3 years before, it deals with nostalgic references to songs and is about wishing to go back to that time? It deals with the same stuff only its beat isn't as good. It's alright, but listen to 2002 for the clearly superior song. Oh, well, at least we know this rip-off definitely won't go top ten like 2002 did.

I mean, besides some references to 90s songs, the two songs aren't remotely similar enough to call them rip offs?   2002 is a love song, and 1999 is just about nostalgia.  They're not even remotely similar on any level other than superficial

StrawberryBlond
4 hours ago, Sharyu said:

So what you're saying is that they should stick with their own generation? Then Gaga shouldn't have covered all those songs with Tony and "I Want Your Love."

I don't get your comments at all. Basically you're saying is that they can't revisit a point in time, you don't know about their upbrinings, maybe their parents loved the 90s and made them listen to it. And if you're talking about rip-offs let's not forget that Gaga isn't 100% original.

I didn't say they had to stick to their generation genre-wise, I'm talking about subject matter. Just keep it realistic when it comes to what they're singing about. I love The Pretty Reckless but on one of their songs, a then 16-year-old Taylor Momsen sang "I was 19, you were 29," so it loses the song a bit of credibility when you tell an outright lie or exaggerate. Hearing these boderline millenials singing about being nostalgic for 1999 when I'm older than them and have limited memories of the 90's just doesn't connect. And there's being inspired and then there's ripping off. Don't bring Gaga into this. She doesn't steal songs.

4 hours ago, Grace said:

I mean, besides some references to 90s songs, the two songs aren't remotely similar enough to call them rip offs?   2002 is a love song, and 1999 is just about nostalgia.  They're not even remotely similar on any level other than superficial

They're both dealing with the same nostalgia just a few years apart. They are hugely similar. I don't know why no one else is agreeing with me. Or why no one's sueing yet. Oh, well, as someone who remembers 1999 and 2002, I know which song actually makes me feel nostalgic and it's the one written by the person who was actually old enough to properly remember those years.

LordEnigma
5 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Well, yes it does. Because ripping off songs is a big deal, especially if the rip-off gets more success. Theft of art is a serious matter in this business and it can result in lawsuits. Let's put it this way - would you have this flippant attitude if one of Gaga's songs was blatantly ripped off? Especially if it got acclaim across the board, commercial success and considered to be an original idea? I don't know about you but I think the cardinal sin of being an artist is stealing another artist's work and passing it off as your idea. It doesn't matter if the person you stole it from is "untalented," artists shouldn't do this to each other.

But it's better if it's genuine and autobiographical. I don't like to see artists jump on a trend or popular concept just to get a hit, to me it's not what making music is all about. While, yes, it's not the first time we've heard a Baby One More Time and NYNSC reference, it's less likely to be a coincidence when it both instances occured in two songs that were made in roughly the same time frame and released mere months apart. I can get behind the fun aspect, don't get me wrong, but I've never been one to subscribe to the notion that "pop is just mindless fun, it doesn't need to be meaningful, groundbreaking or original." I think pop can be so much more than that and perhaps if pop's own fans treated the genre with more respect, perhaps the public and critics would respect it more and we'd get better pop songs into the bargain.

Sometimes I just want mindless fun, I don’t care if people critique me for that...

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

They're both dealing with the same nostalgia just a few years apart. They are hugely similar. I don't know why no one else is agreeing with me. Or why no one's sueing yet. Oh, well, as someone who remembers 1999 and 2002, I know which song actually makes me feel nostalgic and it's the one written by the person who was actually old enough to properly remember those years.

They're literally not about the same thing besides some nostalgia though?  2002 is about a relationship, it's a love song that uses the time period to evoke a nostalgic feeling about childhood innocence and romance at that age. 1999 is literally just about 1999 throwing around buzzwords and references.  You're reaching so hard you're gonna break your hip honey :ohwell:

It's like saying Lana should sue Taylor because Style mentions James Dean, and Blue Jeans mentions James Dean so they must be ripping each other off

StarlightSeiya

I can't believe someone is in here writing a senior thesis about a Charli XCX song and how it's copying a COMPLETELY different song. It's...not that serious.

I have to laugh

Bone Apple Tea bebe

StrawberryBlond
16 hours ago, Grace said:

They're literally not about the same thing besides some nostalgia though?  2002 is about a relationship, it's a love song that uses the time period to evoke a nostalgic feeling about childhood innocence and romance at that age. 1999 is literally just about 1999 throwing around buzzwords and references.  You're reaching so hard you're gonna break your hip honey :ohwell:

It's like saying Lana should sue Taylor because Style mentions James Dean, and Blue Jeans mentions James Dean so they must be ripping each other off

It's about roughly the same time of nostalgia and shares some of the same references. They both definitely use buzz words. And Lana should sue Taylor for something but not the thing you think - Wildest Dreams' chorus instrumental sounds like Without Me.

14 hours ago, StarlightSeiya said:

I can't believe someone is in here writing a senior thesis about a Charli XCX song and how it's copying a COMPLETELY different song. It's...not that serious.

I have to laugh

Oh, come off it. It's not that long. And it's not completely different by any stretch.

19 hours ago, StarlightSeiya said:

I have to laugh

I know sis!!! Like seriously I read the first page, which was like normal reactions, thought I jump to the last page and then nope I was literally this gif

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It's about roughly the same time of nostalgia and shares some of the same references. They both definitely use buzz words. And Lana should sue Taylor for something but not the thing you think - Wildest Dreams' chorus instrumental sounds like Without Me.

ok, so if we're going to get that pedantic why don't we just say they both ripped off Kimbra and be done with it :ohwell: 

Stephen
On 10/13/2018 at 1:01 AM, pink sushi said:

I find this kind of an awkward song for people their age to sing. In 1999, Charli was 7 and Troye was 4. I'm about the same age as Charli and don't really remember much of the 90s, especially the pop culture references they mention in the song. This would be a better song for an artist in their 30s to sing. 

It's so funny cuz she was thinking about giving it away to another artist :air: I kind of agree

Archived