Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

5 Years On: Gaga's Masterplan...

OMonster

Featured Posts

OMonster

Buckle-up, this might be pretty lengthily :vegas:

With it being confirmed that Gaga had consciously planned to bag the lead role in ASIB - and with their being some suggestion that she has wanted this role for more than just the past two years - I think it's quite clear that Gaga and her team have a masterplan, and have been working according to it for the past five years. A plan to put her back at the very top of the entertainment business. A plan that, I think, is going to ultimately redefine Gaga's career and lead her to a substantial re-peak. 

To understand this plan, we first have to go back to the era of ARTPOP. Amid commercial backlash, a messy, managerial break-up and a far-from-recovered body, it was towards the end of 2013 where Gaga and her team, I believe, sat down and spoke about the next five years ahead. I think we all know that Gaga wanted to 'cleanse' and 'detox' her image - she wanted to be known for her talent, no longer her 'gimmicks'. A great vehicle for this was Cheek to Cheek which, without question, provided the framework and foundation for everything that has happened, and is happening even today, in Gaga's career.

On the back of Cheek to Cheek, Gaga's authentic talent really came to the forefront. As a result, she was asked to tribute the Sound of Music at the 2015 Oscar Awards. Again, this was a defining moment in her 'new', 'reimagined' career. Personally, I think Gaga accepted this tribute to A) showcase her raw talent and B) begin to build a working relationship with the Academy - as we know she has always wanted to act. It might be a bit of a reach, but I would even go as far to say that 2015 is when she possibly began to really focus her attention on A Star is Born; hence wanting a connection to the Academy. We know the role had been on her radar throughout her relationship with Taylor, and so this would make some sense. 

Throughout 2015, we had a lot of hints, clues and suggestions that Gaga was going to be releasing a new pop album sometime soon. In early 2016, we were getting as close to confirmation of this as we could get; from direct interviews with RedOne, and from the 'original' Grammy performance concept / promo. So, why did this all change? Why did she instead choose to release the folksy, 'alternative' (but still legendary), Joanne record? Having established a good relationship with the Academy (in both 2015 and 2016), I believe it is because the opportunity finally arose for her to star in ASIB - and it came at a time when it could really work for her. 

Having won a Golden Globe for her acting debut in AHS: Hotel, and with a favourable Academy consensus; 2016 was the year that Gaga decided to change everything and commit to becoming a respected actress. I'm not completely sure how the dates all align as such but I think, essentially, Gaga 'dropped' the 'pop' LG5 to 'appeal' to Warner Brothers and Bradley Cooper. She wanted to present herself in a light that would shine her as an artist who could convincingly pull off the story of ASIB. A typical, Gaga pop record (boundary-breaking and unconventional) would not have done this. As such, Gaga, in early 2016, decided to 'scrap' her work with RedOne and began to plan for what eventually became 'Joanne'. 

Spoiler

Whilst I do think what drove the initial reasoning for Joanne is her involvement in ASIB, I absolutely do not think that it is what defines the record. We know that Joanne is an album that Gaga had to make, and an album she was always going to make - I just think that ASIB provided the perfect opportunity for her to finally do it in a context where she could reap the rewards from something so left-field. The reward: ASIB. 

As an opportunity to 'appease' pop-loving Little Monsters, I think Gaga took the half time gig as a moment to bring back her pop persona and to remind the world who she really is, in preparation for her eventual pop return. I mean, it was a surprising time for Gaga to do the half time show - on the back of such a folksy, less-than-mainstream record. But, in many ways, the timing made a lot of 'backwards' sense, as it ensured that Gaga was still the artist we all knew and loved; even in times of such transition. 

Now, as soon as ASIB was wrapped, we got signs that PopGa was going make a return. And I think that is no coincidence. Gaga is now ready to return to pop music. On the back of a grammy award-winning Jazz album, a golden-globe winning acting debut, a grammy-nominated 'folksy' album, a record-breaking half time show and a likely Oscar-winning film premiere... Gaga could not be in a stronger position to dominate pop culture once more. And this was all, certainly, deliberate. The world of Hollywood is not a world of coincidence - it is a world of calculation, motivation and drive. 

So, what's next for Gaga in this plan? Firstly, we know Gaga is headed for her Vegas residency, which we know is going to be a pop 'spectacle'. She is then going to release a Gaga-esque pop record (which I think has already had considerable time spent on it) on the back of said residency and her impending - and almost inevitable - Oscar win. With an Oscar to her name and a smashing, pop-record I next think Gaga is going to take on an acting role that perfectly blends together her love of pop and her new-found, film glory. I expect the role to be bold, fun and light-hearted. I think, in the middle of a pop era, she will want a role that reflects the aura of that - just as ASIB reflected the feelings and attitude of Joanne. 

Again, call it a reach, but I do wonder if she has already signed on for The Little Mermaid as Ursula. We know Gaga absolutely loves the film, and she has made frequent reference to it over the past year or so. She has wore mermaid necklaces, used mermaid emojis, tweeted about Ursula and even recently had a sea-themed photoshoot. I think Gaga's next pop album is going to have some link to oceans/water/mermaids... and I think it's all planned that the role of Ursula will perfectly complement this. I think it is too much of a coincidence that A) Gaga is going to release a pop album, B) said pop album has known links to water/mermaids/oceans and C) the role of Ursula is 'available' and rumoured to be Gaga's to lose.  

And, what's more? It has been announced that Gaga is the co-chair of 2019's 'Camp' Met Gala. Not only does this further indicate a return to pop music (pop is notoriously camp... Lady Gaga's pop especially so), but it also links in to the role of Ursula; just as the expected ocean theme of her next pop record does. And, what's camper than Ursula?

If there's one thing we know about Gaga... everything is planned. And it has been right from the very start. Vegas, Met Gala, pop album and Ursula... here we go. :firega:

Spoiler

I write this topic as a lover of rock/ballad/alternative Gaga. I am not deluding myself into thinking that a pop return is coming... it's just that all the signs are there and it's almost inevitable now. Everything has been leading to a pop comeback and, of course, a career as an established actress - which I think her pop work is going to compliment in the near future. 

subtext / fantasy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JohnnyVersace

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I think once ARTPOP went down the way it did, and she turned to jazz, she really started thinking differently. She could easily have kept on releasing Gaga/pop records, but today I honestly think she would have spiraled a bit and would not be as respected. 

Seeing the movie, it's clear that Joanne was influenced by the role and the themes of the film, as you said. It's almost as if she released the album to prove to Bradley and company that she could strip back, and be raw. It's kind of like her biggest performance art piece in a way, taking on this dead aunt country persona to essentially audition for the film and prepare for the role of Ally. (Though as you said, this album was inevitable and she personally had to strip back as well)

VoldeLorde2

I would live:nooo:

The thing about the Little Mermaid and LG6 aesthetic:nooo: I would love for her to visit that. She could have killer videos and revive her YouTube status. And her spotify numbers would be through the roof:nooo:

You got me hyped for LG6:messga:

Spoiler

It's bout to be

1998 - Britney Spears

2008 - Lady Gaga 

2018 - Lady Gaga

:nooo:

WORLDofGAGA

Very interesting analysis and could very well be true, but I also remember Gaga has said in a few interviews that doing ASIB wasn’t a career move for her, was just something she believed in 

@W0RLDofGAGA

OMonster
15 minutes ago, WORLDofGAGA said:

Very interesting analysis and could very well be true, but I also remember Gaga has said in a few interviews that doing ASIB wasn’t a career move for her, was just something she believed in 

I think everything Gaga has ever done has an organic and authentic motive behind it. I don't think Gaga would ever do something solely to motivate a career peak or career transition... but I do think a lot of her decisions are taken with her career and her authenticity/enjoyment in mind.

It is clear that Gaga believes in Cheek to Cheek, Joanne, ASIB - she certainly didn't work on those projects only to elevate her own career, but whether it be directly or indirectly, they definitely all compliment the same purpose of getting her ready to return to the top again. 

subtext / fantasy

7 minutes ago, WORLDofGAGA said:

Well, did you really think she (or literally anyone else in the entertainment industry) would go on national television and say: "I'm doing this to branch out and secure a legacy." :sweat: Of course it's a career move - everything is, you just can't say it out loud. It's simply the way things work. 

2 minutes ago, OMonster said:

It is clear that Gaga believes in Cheek to Cheek, Joanne, ASIB - she certainly didn't work on those projects only to elevate her own career, but whether it be directly or indirectly, they definitely all compliment the same purpose of getting her ready to return to the top again. 

YESS!!! And this is not a bad thing at all. It's like building a business, she has to have her own strategies. You raise by cheating, then the abrupt downgrade is soon expected. But when you play the cards right by your own mind and intellect, success will obviously come, sooner or later. Not until she had hands in her every move FIRST that she let nature takes it course. A smart legend :staymad:

Delulu Rogers

Good post but gaga has said so many times that she doesn't care for commercial success and stuff. So it's hard to believe that she spent the last 5 years in preparation to dominate the pop landscape again. She could have smashed just as hard with a pop album after C2C, the oscars, the national anthem, etc but instead we're still waiting. I think she just wants to focus more on her voice and explore new projects than just get back into pop. But we'll see I guess. Also, don't forget that the woman is going on 33 and said in recent interview the only thing missing for her was a family. I wouldn't be surprised if after vegas when she'll be 35 she'' take like 3 years off and focus on her family. 

nakedidea
15 minutes ago, VoldeLorde2 said:

WAIT, remember coachella where she was swallowing the tentacle in the intro:nooo:

YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING! OMG

OMonster
2 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Good post but gaga has said so many times that she doesn't care for commercial success and stuff. So it's hard to believe that she spent the last 5 years in preparation to dominate the pop landscape again. She could have smashed just as hard with a pop album after C2C, the oscars, the national anthem, etc but instead we're still waiting. I think she just wants to focus more on her voice and explore new projects than just get back into pop. But we'll see I guess. Also, don't forget that the woman is going on 33 and said in recent interview the only thing missing for her was a family. I wouldn't be surprised if after vegas when she'll be 35 she'' take like 3 years off and focus on her family. 

I think it's more about just being back on top again - in film, in music and in pop too. I don't think it's solely for her pop music career... just her career in general. 

Whilst she could've released a pop album in place of Joanne - and it probably would've been very successful - I think, as I said, she decided to avoid the pop sound so to compliment ASIB. She clearly was very keen to star in ASIB, and I think her change from a pop record to Joanne explains that. 

And you're right about her wanting to be a mother. But maybe that plays the biggest factor in it all - she wants to fully establish herself as an actress, a talented musician and a pop icon all before she takes an extended period of time off to have a baby. 

subtext / fantasy

10 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Good post but gaga has said so many times that she doesn't care for commercial success and stuff.

But she MUST care for her own career. She did her best in every project she involved for the shake of proving her longevity, expressing her talent, securing her legacy. Gaga is not a laid back woman, she never was. The difference is that she wants to be a legend in the most glorious and respectable way and she has been working her ass off to be in history book someday, to leave the world with SOMETHING. Otherwise, she may literally be a farmer or a housewife right now taking care of her family all day long.Until that, she is still a businesswoman and doesn't come to play:oops:

Glamourpuss

I have been thinking the same thing as you. You are so right about everything. You've pieced it all together perfectly. :golfclap:

Archived