Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

'A Star Is Born' Discussion

Admin

Featured Posts

BlingNotTheMusic
On 10/19/2018 at 12:36 AM, doppelganger said:

he two key songs anchoring the beginning and end of the relationship ; Shallow written by Ally and completed by Jack, and INLA written by Jack and completed by Ally. 

W I G (and I’ve seen the movie 3 times) :excited2:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gaga4stef

I joined just so I could talk about this movie. I've been a casual Gaga fan since 2008. After watching a documentary about her a few months ago I haven't been able to stop gushing about her, learning all I can about her, listening to her music. It's also how I learned about her upcoming movie. I knew it was going to be huge, I knew she was going to be perfect for the role. But I also had no intention of seeing it because I hate movies with sad endings. All the hype finally wore me down, as did listening to the soundtrack on repeat since it came out. I needed the total experience.

This movie wrecked me. It took a week to finally shake off the heaviness in my heart. It was better than I expected. The musical performances are incredible. Those alone make this movie exceptional. I took my mother who is afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease and she burst into spontaneous applause at the conclusion of one of Ally's performances on screen. The ballads are breathtaking. Is That Alright is better than any of those already released. I can't listen without crying. If it's not a hit something is wrong with the world. All of the actors hit it out of the park - especially Bradley Cooper. I wish I hadn't seen all the trailers and read all the reviews beforehand, but it was still a very powerful viewing experience. The film literally takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions. The beginning is bright, beautiful, and soaring as they fall deely in love. Soon you are spiraling downward right along with them as their world unravels. I agree that the movie seems both not long enough and a tad too long. I'm not sure what could fix that. I think I would benefit from seeing it again as I'm sure I missed things especially during the last half when I was struggling to control my emotions. By the time she went to visit him at rehab I was ugly crying as she ran the last few feet of that long hallway to leap into his arms. I wanted to reach into the screen and hold onto him tightly after he told the counselor about his previous suicide attempt at 13 years old. The scene with her manager and Jack cut deep. Her deep devotion to Jack. How incredibly blessed to find love like that. The shot of his pickup truck and beloved dog outside the closed garage door had me sobbing. All so achingly beautiful and gut wrenching. There was stunned silence at the end. No one moved. I've never seen an entire theater sit thru the closing credits of a movie. 

Not enough praise has been given to the supporting cast. The actor who played her friend was terrific. All of their scenes together were a treat. Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay, Dave Chapelle all outstanding in their roles. The scenes with her father and his friends were so well done especially the YT discussion they had. Kudos to Bradley Cooper for job well done. This movie is to Lady Gaga (and vice versa) what  Purple Rain is to Prince. 

Every time we say goodbye baby it hurts

MonsterOfSpain

Just came back from my third screening and I can just confirm that making A Star Is Born was the best decision of Gaga's career :giveup:

It seriously gets better everytime, I thought I would get tired of it by now but I just want to see it over again.

I went with my cousin and I had never witnessed such a packed room, there wasn't literally a single empty seat, in fact we had to sit first row! It honestly surprised me so much, 'cause the other times I went it wasn't even half-filled. :shocked: I think the film is gonna stay for quite a long time on the cinemas, I'm hoping it crosses $500 million in total gross. 

Experiencing it from first row was actually amazing though because I felt like I was right by their side when their were performing, especially during Shallow, I keep getting chills during that scene. Also she needs to upload the Heal Me and WDYDT performances on YouTube ASAP because I was about to get up and start bopping to them tbh :giveup:

I keep noticing more and more details each time, like the ropes that appear on the LGBT sign when Jack's about to go into the bar, tbh I thought it was a bit creepy. The GRAMMYs scene hits you so much harder from that close, I think everyone could felt the embarassment and the room was in silence, it's honestly one of the most powerful scenes. By the end of the film, when *the scene* arrived though, I couldn't hear a single breath in the packed room. The silence was overwhelming, this time it was the most emotional for me, I almost cried. Both Bradley and Gaga are amazing actors and musicians, they did an incredible job, I barely see Gaga anymore, I only see Ally. Oh and there were lots of laughs in the audience in the drag bar scene too lol.

Oh and I think I'll Never Love Again should definitely win the Oscar over Shallow. That performance will go down as one of the best and most iconic scenes of all time. Watching it live, her gestures, her movements, her sweet delicate voice in the beggining and the powerful vocals when the second chorus hits, and then the end with Jack and that look she gives... :nooo:ugh I can't stop thinking about it, I'm so ****ing proud of her. It really stays with you once you've left the room.

I think most people in the crowd left with a great impression, it was mostly groups of girl teens but also some boys (very surprising though) and lots of middle-aged women and young couples. My cousin loved it too, although she thought the movie was autobiographical on Gaga's life lmao :deadbanana: (she didn't know about the other ASIB films). I explained it to her and she said Gaga is a great actress.

And btw when I was waiting for my cousin at the door of the cinema I heard The Cure blasting through the mall, I had never heard it in public and it felt so good hearing Ally right before seeing the film. :woohoo:

Anyways tomorrow I've got an exam but as soon as I got home I couldn't resist posting this impression. Thank you Bradley and Gaga for A Star Is Born, I truly think we are witnessing one of the most important eras in her career. I can't be prouder of how far she's come, I'm so proud to still be a Monster after all these years. We truly made the good decision uh :applause:

Sorry for the essay lmao

MonsterOfSpain

By the way, I noticed Jackson rehearses Diggin' My Grave before he performs with Ally for the first time. Did they write DMG the same night they wrote Shallow? Was it originally a Jackson song but they decided to do a duet version? Is it a continuity error? :huh:

Oh and I wish Ally's performance of Is That Alright? was shown in the film, the raw version played during the credits is so good I need to see it, I hope a director's cut with some extra scenes and all the performances is included on the DVD

Just rewatched it this weekend, the whole cinema cried. Felt the same way as the first time. Watched it with my father who doesn't really like Gaga, thought he was going to hate it. He almost cried. I swear I never in a trillion years imagined it would happen because he is not an emotive person. He's really into 60s-70s rock music but somehow loved the soundtracked and even downloaded it.

maggieschneider

Hey guys  My name is Maggie Schneider and I'm a singer/songwriter in Atlanta. I just covered "I'll Never Love Again" and it would mean so much if you checked it out and share it if you like it. It'd be a dream come true if Gaga saw it, and I hope I did the song justice. Thank you so much and I'm excited to finally be a member of GagaDaily (I should've been ten years ago lol)

Cover Link: https://www.facebook.com/1503760213177656/posts/2264780313742305/ 

MelbHawker

It's times like these I wish I wasn't a Gaga fan, so I could watch the movie from an 'outsiders' perspective.

This version of ASIB will go down as a modern classic; it was so raw, deep and honest. The music was incredible and told the story as much as the dialogue - credit to Brad Cooper for his direction here. His acting was incredible. That scene where he breaks down in front of her whilst in rehab left me absolutely broken. 

I was so impressed with Gaga's acting in it as well - she can act & sing at the same time which not every actress is capable of doing (I'm looking at you goddesses Glenn Close and Toni Collette :heart:). The final scene will become an iconic moment in film as the movie ages. I was stunned at her performance here. The cut to Jackson singing was brutal - he wrote that song because he thought he was losing her and never intended for her to have to sing it, but in the end it was a song that she had to sing because Jackson lost himself, and couldn't. It was heartbreaking and I can't congratulate her enough on pulling this off. It's legendary. 

Sam Elliot is a shoe in for an Oscar. In my dreams Gaga/Cooper win for this film but the Academy will award G. Close this year - she's overdue and been nominated a heap of times where she probably should have won over her competition. Cooper's a chance. 

So Star had a delayed release in Australia. Came out about a week ago (I think) but I've been super busy with work and haven't had a chance to see it. I just saw it today. I took my mother along with me after we had a bite to eat, thought it would be a lovely chance to catch up. I had been purposely avoiding any spoilers of the movie, I listened to the soundtrack but skipped "Never love again" as I didn't want to spoil it. Based on that song and people saying it was very sad I had guessed Jackson would pass away. What I didn't realise it would be by his own hand. 

My father committed suicide back in 2013 after my mother left him. He was an alcoholic, struggled with PTSD from the war. A gentle soul, but a broken man. He didn't want to burden us with his depression and in his eyes didn't want to be a burden to my mothers happiness. He took his own life in the garage and my mother found him when she came home from work. As Jackson prepared to die all I could think of was how my father did the same. 

The movie was spectacular, and heartbreaking on its own. But it added another dimension to it based on our experience, and I imagine other peoples experience too. I think it should have a suicide warning or perhaps something in the rating to let people know it deals with suicide. I know it's a spoiler. But... I just wish I knew. I would have seen it regardless but I would have been prepared. But I feel so guilty I brought my mother to see it and I'm sure it brought back a lot of memories for her. 

It was just an incredible movie. Bradly and Gaga. Amazing. But tears are still flowing down my cheeks and I'm truely heartbroken and feeling so depressed. 

Edit; Gaga deserves an Oscar. So does Bradley. Hell so does the movie. Don't take my post as being angry at the movie or it's marketing. I might be overly sensitive. Not sure. I know it just hit me hard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, MonsterOfSpain said:

:"Just came back from my third screening and I can just confirm that making A Star Is Born was the best decision of Gaga's career [ ...] quote shortened for brevity  Sorry for the essay lmao"

I loved your 'essay". Every day I want to write one, I am so overwhelmed with emotion on the topic. Suffice to say, I am still trying to learn how to navigate on this forum respectfully and effectively. It is unlike any other forum I have visited regularly. I hope to read more of what you wrote, you write beautifully.

Watch As I Dive In

MonsterOfSpain
18 hours ago, Gagally said:

Welcome! I loved your 'essay". Every day I want to write one, I am so overwhelmed with emotion on the topic. Suffice to say, I am still trying to learn how to navigate on this forum respectfully and effectively. It is unlike any other forum I have visited regularly. I hope to read more of what you wrote, you write beautifully.

Well thank you so much, you're really sweet :heart: I encourage you to share your impressions on the film here too. Welcome to GGD! :hug: And yeah, I also reckon this place is unlike any other, for worse or for better lmao

@MonsterOfSpain Pls forgive my "Welcome", I started reading Gaga4Stef's post first, was distracted and finished by reading yours. I love what you wrote though. I am just ....well, you know. I will try to be more cognizant when quoting.

@Gaga4stef Welcome to the Forum!

Watch As I Dive In

freebit

Ok, I feel like barely anyone is going to see this, but I have to point out that after seeing this yet again, in the scene after Shallow is performed and Ally is getting on Jackson's tour bus, there's a group waiting by the bus that just stop and stare at her for a moment, and I think her future manager Rez Gavron is among them (excuse the bad quality pic):

tumblr_pigyaoHX3n1t7zxfno1_540.png

^Like, do my eyes deceive me and I'm mixing him up with some other dark haired white guy...or is this him? It's hard to tell because it's kind of brief. To my eyes this is the same ear shape and haircut, so I think it's him. I mean, why else would they plant this somewhat weird scene in there when they could have just jumped to them getting on the tour bus after Jackson's brother comments about the concert to them?

Yeah, In my subsequent viewings, this puzzled me too. But each time I see it, I realize there are “extras”in the film that are not extra at all. For instance, in the all-night photo shoot scene where Dev tells Ally she has been nominated for Grammys, Libatique is in the scene.

Watch As I Dive In

• 5 weeks later...
deactivated
On 11/19/2018 at 9:02 PM, freebit said:

Ok, I feel like barely anyone is going to see this, but I have to point out that after seeing this yet again, in the scene after Shallow is performed and Ally is getting on Jackson's tour bus, there's a group waiting by the bus that just stop and stare at her for a moment, and I think her future manager Rez Gavron is among them (excuse the bad quality pic):

tumblr_pigyaoHX3n1t7zxfno1_540.png

^Like, do my eyes deceive me and I'm mixing him up with some other dark haired white guy...or is this him? It's hard to tell because it's kind of brief. To my eyes this is the same ear shape and haircut, so I think it's him. I mean, why else would they plant this somewhat weird scene in there when they could have just jumped to them getting on the tour bus after Jackson's brother comments about the concert to them?

I saw that too! Its definitely Rez 

• Haroon unpinned this topic

Archived