💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

'A Star Is Born' Discussion

Admin

Featured Posts

Max Vandeburg
4 minutes ago, Der Meister said:

I just watched it on a Dolby theatre. I will be honest, I shouldn’t have watched all the trailers and clips, I felt like I already saw half of the movie online first, and it TOTALLY spoiled the experience. The movie felt like it was a waste of footages. I don’t know, they had a lot of months to put together an amazing piece but they failed. Hate me all you want, I don’t care. They messed up the pacing and it didn’t make sense how they performed Shallow without even rehearsing first?! Haha only in movies... The dialogues was so repetitive “you’re drunk” “stop drinking” “are you drinking again!?” “look I have a big nose!!” “Oh let’s sing this song that I love” “let me take another look at you” ... and the random concert clips played... are you serious they wasted that Coachella sunset!?! Wow

anyways, some people will eat it up. 

But the only thing that I love was the ending. I Will Never Love you was beautiful but again they messed up by adding  a random clip of Jackson singing the end of the song on the piano. What the ****.

By "some people" you mean "the absolute majority of the most respected film critics in the world", right? I mean, your opinion is valid, of course. But you have to see that you're the minority here.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ocean Wrist

I just saw it and was floored. The final I'll Never Love Again scene is staggeringly beautiful. The whole experience is swimming around in my brain. It was a journey that I look forward to going on again. 

The acting and cinematography are stunning, but the movie as a whole has pacing issues — it rushes though scenes you don’t want to end and slows down when you want it to be going faster. There’s a ton of time jumps that skip through Ally’s development as a star. Still, the movie is like an A-. I’m complaining about wanting more, but the truth is that even the “worst/slowest” scene in the movie is still pretty good. The movie just doesn’t reach that “movie perfection” level of quality something like Titanic or Inception has. It’s close, but has one too many time jumps that skip too much character development. It’s a really pretty, well-sung drama that still somehow needed twenty or so more minutes added to its runtime to fully flesh out some of its ideas.

giskardsb

I just have to respond to @Der Meister now deleted comment that the last song was interrupted by an “unnecessary scene of Cooper singing at the piano.”  Respectfully, that was the most important and necessary scene In The movie.  It gave the last sequence all its power. 

That one cut at the last scene was just astonishing. You know the one.

Having it go from such an intense, lush sound, full of Gaga's emoting, to an abrupt cut of them two finishing up that chorus in their home in a happier time- like, that scene? Is it.

3 points in and ready for more

59 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

I just have to respond to @Der Meister now deleted comment that the last song was interrupted by an “unnecessary scene of Cooper singing at the piano.”  Respectfully, that was the most important and necessary scene In The movie.  It gave the last sequence all its power. 

Oh man, that scene is one of the defining scenes, if not the defining scene, of the film.

3 points in and ready for more

giskardsb

I actually think fans will have the hardest time with Gaga’s acting because we know her so well it’s hard to let “Gaga” go.  It’s also difficult not to see a meta-commentary about Gaga’s own career which some Gaga pop fans may not entirely appreciate.  And Gaga fans will also be handicapped by not accepting that the movie is primarily about Jackson. 

Shipper
5 hours ago, Katie14 said:

I think I'm not even going to go tonight. Wasted $22. I dont want to ruin the movie for myself by only seeing half of it. People never ****ing order dinner this late and of course tonight they do. I should have been able to leave like 45 minutes ago. I'm so mad. They should get their own stupid dinner. 

Guess what,  I was 35 minutes late to the movie as well because of traffic,  I didn't get the lanyard and the ID thing they we're giving out and I don't have the free download for the soundtrack either. 😐

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

Ladygagalover

I saw the early showing in the US, and it was incredible. She put on an amazing performance, and I shed a lot of tears. Shallow is a great song, but Always Remember Us This Way and I’ll Never Love Again are much more impactful in the film. I like them better.

DrewPa

that editing choice for the last song is surprising and beautiful... And that Gaga's close-up at the end... the film really ends with a bang. 

I'm a real Fire CRRRACKERRR

Katie14
6 hours ago, Shipper said:

Guess what,  I was 35 minutes late to the movie as well because of traffic,  I didn't get the lanyard and the ID thing they we're giving out and I don't have the free download for the soundtrack either. 😐

**** I'm sorry. They didn't let you get a lanyard after the movie? Did you enjoy it at least?

Shipper
1 hour ago, Katie14 said:

**** I'm sorry. They didn't let you get a lanyard after the movie? Did you enjoy it at least?

No they we're all out.  I'm guessing they gave away the extra stuff.

I still enjoyed the movie though but I really do need to see it again to get the full experience. :)

I was too focused on anticipating the songs I miss some key elements in the story.  Lol. 

But Gaga's acting is great! 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

Katie14
11 minutes ago, Shipper said:

No they we're all out.  I'm guessing they gave away the extra stuff.

I still enjoyed the movie though but I really do need to see it again to get the full experience. :)

I was too focused on anticipating the songs I miss some key elements in the story.  Lol. 

But Gaga's acting is great! 

I'm happy you liked it. That's really lame that they gave away your lanyard. You should email or call amc. That's what I'm going to do.

giskardsb

Bradley deserves best actor.  He had to stretch himself farther into his character than Gaga did.  Gaga was great and natural, while Bradley was fantastic in his role which was completely different from him as a person and any of his acting roles before.   He really embedded himself in the role and became Jackson.

The reason the first act works so well is because it happens in real time.  We are there the entire time watching these two interact and fall in love, and both actors are so good that we believed every minute of it.  Bradley was fantastic delivering Jackson as "non-homophobic dude who finds himself in a drag bar", that whole sequence was amazing.  And those who say they don't believe Jackson could have come up with an arrangement for Shallow that fast.... I'll just say you've never been with musicians who have gotten obsessed with something.   Totally could happen, and even though the final result may have been a bit smoother than it would have been in real life, we have to let a little movie magic happen. :)

When I first heard of "pacing issues" I thought people were thinking it dragged... in fact the second and third acts suffer a bit from time compression and everything happened very fast, too fast to comprehend in some cases and IMO this effected the believability of the third act the most,  we didn't get enough time to really understand Jacksons psyche at tat moment. However, the end hit hard and Gaga DELIVERED.   If she gets an oscar for actress, it will be that last sequence that does it.

Great movie, needs to be a bit longer.  Another 10 minutes is all that is needed, I hope a directors cut comes out on DVD.

ARTPOPSYCHOLOGY

This isn't a movie about Gaga. This isn't Gaga's movie. Its Bradley's. He really showed me what the definition of auteur is. I don't think Gaga will get best actress, but definitely a nod. The role she played wasn't TOO dissimilar from her true self. That doesn't mean she wasn't casted perfectly and doesn't deserve immense recognition. 

When you step back and realize that Bradley DIRECTED this movie and gave that gutwrenching performance though. WOW. Seriously. I'm at my desk at work and it left a very dark and emotional tone in my body.

• Admin changed the title to 'A Star Is Born' Discussion
  • Haroon unpinned this topic

Archived