Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ASIB Has Changed Gaga's Voice

OMonster

Featured Posts

OMonster

We have always known that Gaga has an incredible voice. It has taken time for others to realise it, but her talent has always shone. 

That said, something in her voice has dramatically changed in the past year or so. There is now a richness and depth to her voice that goes beyond power, anger and strength. Her voice now sounds warming and all-encompassing. Her voice truly feels so captivating and moving. You feel Gaga's voice and how she sings. It's harder-hitting than ever before.

Gaga has always been able to use her voice to convey emotion. She mostly used it, in my opinion, to portray a lot of her passion and frustration. ARTPOP is a good example of this, and a lot of Joanne is too. Her voice, in her past two albums, has portrayed a feeling of pain and anger. And I don't mean that negatively. Anger doesn't have to be shouty and aggressive. She expressed a nuanced anger - often even in a very soft way. 

Anyway, since Joanne, Gaga's voice has progressed even further. We could hear it happening on the JWT (with Edge of Glory particularly) and on her cover of 'Your Song'. Her voice tells a story now. It sounds like such a cliche comment but it's true. Her voice speaks more than a lot of the lyrics do. When she sings, you feel whatever she is feeling - or how she is meant to feel as a character.

I really think the experience of ASIB has taken Gaga's voice and talent to the next level. Writing, singing and performing as a character who is far removed from herself has enabled Gaga to express stories and emotion through her voice like never before. Perhaps she needed a detachment from herself to fully find this. Don't get me wrong, this expressiveness has always been there. But when you hear 'The Shallow' and 'Is That Alright?', you can feel the difference. Beyond ASIB, you can feel it in some of JWT performances and 'Your Song', too. It's no coincidence that those moments have come after ASIB.

Damn, I never intended to write an essay :cryga: but there we go... I think ASIB has really transformed Gaga's voice for the better. And I really can't wait to hear how she uses this voice for some of her own material as Gaga, not Ally. 

subtext / fantasy

Mulholland

I don't disagree, and I think this era (or what I've heard from it) has helped really hone and define her voice.

BUT, I will say, I think the greatest change to her voice (power, tone, versatility, consistency, etc.) grew out of Cheek to Cheek and particularly all the vocal training she did for the Sound of Music tribute in 2015. From that point on, her voice has been just lightyears ahead of what it was before (and it was good before). This era seems like an outgrowth of that.

Wow you're 100% right! I've been thinking this recently and you described it perfectly. She has always put emotion in her songs, but the past year or so, and especially with the song snippets we've heard from ASIB, her singing conveys SO MUCH PASSION. Like I'm not an emotional person and songs don't usually make me cry, but anytime she sings a ballad now it hits me right in the gut and I really feel the song. 

OMonster
2 minutes ago, Mulholland said:

I don't disagree, and I think this era (or what I've heard from it) has helped really hone and define her voice.

BUT, I will say, I think the greatest change to her voice (power, tone, versatility, consistency, etc.) grew out of Cheek to Cheek and particularly all the vocal training she did for the Sound of Music tribute in 2015. From that point on, her voice has been just lightyears ahead of what it was before (and it was good before). This era seems like an outgrowth of that.

For sure. Cheek to Cheek was the catalyst for all of this - for the Sound of Music, for Joanne and for ASIB. 

But, I would consider ASIB as a new 'benchmark'. 

Born This Way/ARTPOP developed Gaga's identity and tone, Cheek to Cheek took her voice to a new, more technical level and ASIB has gifted Gaga with an expression, deepness and character to her voice.

They're all defining moments for sure. 

subtext / fantasy

Lextyr97

adri.gif

hunny, why do you think we Stan?

Gaga is one of the few artists who really seems to care about improving her singing talents. I haven’t seen a SINGLE artist improve as much as she did, and Gaga was already a good singer from the beginning! She is an incredible talent with incredible drive. I’m proud to be a fan. 

Mulholland
1 minute ago, OMonster said:

For sure. Cheek to Cheek was the catalyst for all of this - for the Sound of Music, for Joanne and for ASIB. 

But, I would consider ASIB as a new 'benchmark'. 

Born This Way/ARTPOP developed Gaga's identity and tone, Cheek to Cheek took her voice to a new, more technical level and ASIB has gifted Gaga with an expression, deepness and character to her voice.

They're all defining moments for sure. 

I agree, particularly that it's a new benchmark.

It's been an evolution, and this is the latest peak.

It's been really exciting to behold. Even paying attention to how she sang old hits during the Joanne tour, you see how much her skill has deepened over the years. And I imagine hearing the ASIB songs live will be quite the treat.

Panchecco

it all comes down to her work on C2C and The Sound Of Music Tribute 

without those experiences (+ constant smoking) her voice would have probably ended up changing in a bad way 

I remember when she sang MR at the AMAs I was so disappointed that her voice sounded ~different~ and I blame it all on her taking up smoking...it was so much raspier than usual. Isn't "not-smoking" the number one rule for singers? Why would she hurt her vocals like that :giveup:

But anyway OP, I'm really glad you wrote this essay tbh, it gives me a new perspective. And I do love her voice now. I wonder if she's cooled it on the cigarettes though.

Guest ARTPOPSlays

To all of you tha thought the “original LG5” was dark and inspired by AHS, read this. When she said AHS inspired her new album, she meant through her voice. Since she has learned more about acting, it has helped her tell stories through her tone of voice. That’s what she meant.

and yes, I agree with the OP 100%

I think her voice has for sure evolved for the better since around 2014 onwards. I think over the last few years she has ditched the pitch that she used to sing in and opted for a lower tone that is more natural to her. If you listen to live performances from like 2011 you can tell she struggled a lot more and I think it was because she was forcing her voice to sing too highly,  the last time I heard her sing to that pitch was her Stevie Wonder tribute in 2015. 

Archived