Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did Lana Hurt Gaga's Career?

TheodoreRx

Featured Posts

TheodoreRx

This may be controversial, but I think Lana Del Rey siphoned some fans away from Gaga when she debuted. I think Lana debuting in 2012, when Gaga was on tour and not releasing new music or in the public eye as much, caused many monsters to jump ship. I think I noticed a big difference in the fan base in 2008-2011 and 2012 to present. I remember posts saying Lana stole Gaga's gays, and although they were posted as jokes I think there is a bit of truth in there. I hope people don't take this thread the wrong way, I'm just curious about what you guys think. Is this a possibility?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GagaMariaSpears

Also during 2012, there was a slight shift away from pop music. "Somebody that I used to Know" and "We are Young" were some of the biggest hits that year. I also remember "hipster" culture became mainstream. I think during that time, these changes were seen as more "authentic" than the over the top style that GaGa launched during the late 00s, and early 10s

TheAlpha

I don’t think so. However, I do believe Lana has impacted more younger artists than Gaga.

You know this is just my opinion, right?

TheodoreRx
Just now, GagaMariaSpears said:

Also during 2012, there was a slight shift away from pop music. "Somebody that I used to Know" and "We are Young" were some of the biggest hits that year. I also remember "hipster" culture became mainstream. I think during that time, these changes were seen as more "authentic" than the over the top style that GaGa launched during the late 00s, and early 10s

Yes that's another thing that hurt Gaga. She was too mainstream for hipsters and too weird for normies. But I think Marina and Lana being so huge immediately after the btw era caused a lot of Gaga fans to lose sight of her and by the time ARTPOP was released she wasn't on their radar. 

raragaga

idk about that.. i'm a huge fan of both of them

xoxo

5 minutes ago, TheodoreRx said:

How so? :wtfga:

keeping the same image/sound throughout her career to the point that the people that DID like her got bored. Plus she never really had enough talent to get back up from a rut. The GP in the US only remembers that tragic SNL stint which is still brought up on my timeline to this day. By Honeymoon it was apparent that no one outside her fanbase cared by how hard that album bombed. Same with the one after that I don't remember its name though.

You can like more than one artist at the same time, wtf? Lana's hardcore fans are not Monsters but sad teen/college white str8 girls who are slightly edgy. You might not see them on the Internet as much as the gay male fans but they definitely go to her concerts and drive her album sales.

I agree with GagaMariaSpears about the indie wave popping the bubble of some pop artists' growth. But Lana actually suffered severely (in 2011, your timeline isn't even close to right dawg) from Pitchfork/hipster/indie backlash when the indie media claimed she "tanked" on SNL and "was not authentic"/fabricated by execs and producers. So Lana suffered from the same cultural clash you are accusing her of using against Gaga. Stop pitting women against each other. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

TheAlpha
7 minutes ago, Arturo said:

keeping the same image/sound throughout her career to the point that the people that DID like her got bored. Plus she never really had enough talent to get back up from a rut. The GP in the US only remembers that tragic SNL stint which is still brought up on my timeline to this day. By Honeymoon it was apparent that no one outside her fanbase cared by how hard that album bombed. Same with the one after that I don't remember its name though.

This is true for me. I found out about her in 2013. I loved Born To Die, the album. I was obsessed with her. In fact, during that time I cared more about her than ARTPOP. And now, I haven’t heard much of her music anymore because it all sounds the same to me.

You know this is just my opinion, right?

TheodoreRx
3 minutes ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

You can like more than one artist at the same time, wtf? Lana's hardcore fans are not Monsters but sad teen/college white str8 girls who are slightly edgy. You might not see them on the Internet as much as the gay male fans but they definitely go to her concerts and drive her album sales.

I agree with GagaMariaSpears about the indie wave popping the bubble of some pop artists' growth. But Lana actually suffered severely (in 2011, your timeline isn't even close to right dawg) from Pitchfork/hipster/indie backlash when the hipster media claimed she "tanked" on SNL and "was not authentic"/fabricated by execs and producers. So Lana suffered from the same cultural clash you are accusing her of using against Gaga. Stop pitting women against each other. 

Lana didn't blow up until 2012 though. 

2 minutes ago, TheodoreRx said:

Lana didn't blow up until 2012 though. 

Oh nvm, I just looked up her performance on Wikipedia and it was in January 2012, you right dawg

Lanadelduck
23 minutes ago, TheodoreRx said:

This may be controversial, but I think Lana Del Rey siphoned some fans away from Gaga when she debuted. I think Lana debuting in 2012, when Gaga was on tour and not releasing new music or in the public eye as much, caused many monsters to jump ship. I think I noticed a big difference in the fan base in 2008-2011 and 2012 to present. I remember posts saying Lana stole Gaga's gays, and although they were posted as jokes I think there is a bit of truth in there. I hope people don't take this thread the wrong way, I'm just curious about what you guys think. Is this a possibility?

No. 

TheodoreRx
2 minutes ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

Define "blow up"

She already released her debut album and performed on national television on SNL. How much more blown up can ya get

The album was released in January of 2012

2 minutes ago, TheodoreRx said:

The album was released in January of 2012

Yeh I saw that and edited my comment, you are right about the timeline. BUT the timeline is not important to my overall point. Lana suffered from the same hipster backlash as Gaga. They both suffered from the same cultural anti-pop gurl "moment." It's pointless for you to phrase that in a way that you say Lana "hurt" Gaga as if she did something to her. 

Archived