Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Is Latin pop officially OVER?

Bambino

Featured Posts

Bambino

So the 2018 Latin AMAs nominations were announced last week and here's the pop songs category:

Carlos Vives & Sebastián Yatra - “Robarte Un Beso”
Enrique Iglesias feat. Bad Bunny - “El Baño”
Luis Fonsi & Demi Lovato - “Échame La Culpa”
Reik feat. Ozuna & Wisin - “Me Niego”
Shakira & Nicky Jam - “Perro Fiel”

Looks full of hits, except it's a pop category but none of the songs above are actually pop. They're all reggaeton as in the Despacito type songs :flop:

Paulina Rubio also returned to her pop/rock sound with her new album, Deseo, which full of pure Latin pop songs, but it charted well in the first week and then :flop:

So what's happening? I knew Latin pop was suffering but is this it for the genre?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has moved to reggaeton/tropical latin music now. Look at how Becky G flopped in the US yet found so much success in Reggaeton music. 

Even Reik is doing Reggaeton :rip: 

This is Despacito's impact tbh.

PopThatArt
12 minutes ago, ronaldyp said:

Everyone has moved to reggaeton/tropical latin music now. Look at how Becky G flopped in the US yet found so much success in Reggaeton music. 

Even Reik is doing Reggaeton :rip: 

This is Despacito's impact tbh.

Haha. CACKLING. Sorry but despacito WAS NOT and IS NOT as big as people think.It's a crap track. I didn't hear it anywhere, nor did I see it mentioned anywhere except on here.

And reggaeton/tropical is so 5 years ago. 

Go see A Star is Born

PopThatArt

It was never even in. It hasn't been in since Shakira and Whenever, Wherever. 

Go see A Star is Born

Bambino
1 minute ago, PopThatArt said:

Haha. CACKLING. Sorry but despacito WAS NOT and IS NOT as big as people think.It's a crap track. I didn't hear it anywhere, nor did I see it mentioned anywhere except on here.

It was actually pretty big. It's like the most watch video on YouTube right now.

Look at Thalia.. She's also one of the biggest latin pop singers and she released this

I think latin pop isn't done for good but it's going to be mixed with reggaeton influences for a while.

2 minutes ago, PopThatArt said:

Excuse me, Despacito is the second song to spend 16 WEEKS at No. 1 in Billboard Hot 100 history. How is that NOT BIG? 

Bambino
3 minutes ago, ronaldyp said:

Look at Thalia.. She's also one of the biggest latin pop singers and she released this

I think latin pop isn't done for good but it's going to be mixed with reggaeton influences for a while. 

Thalia is after hits. She keep an eye on the hottest artist of the moment and she runs to record a song with them to get a hit. Smart tho :flop:

tomsches

Rosalía is giving me hope for a change in sound and for Latin pop actually becoming good and interesting again.

Schizophonic
19 minutes ago, PopThatArt said:

Haha. CACKLING. Sorry but despacito WAS NOT and IS NOT as big as people think.It'srap track. I didn't hear it anywhere, nor did I see it mentioned anywhere except on here.

its bigger than any song?
even bigger than rockybye and dua lipa´s.

Scathach
25 minutes ago, PopThatArt said:

Haha. CACKLING. Sorry but despacito WAS NOT and IS NOT as big as people think.It'srap track. I didn't hear it anywhere, nor did I see it mentioned anywhere except on here.

Lol what despacito was everywhere

adamsenigma
35 minutes ago, PopThatArt said:

Where do you live? That song was playing EVERYWHERE, literally. 

bloody g

Despacito is far from reggaeton

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

Archived