💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

Vanity Fair: "A Star Is Born is already the Oscar movie to beat"

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

VF praises ASIB to the heavens.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s musical has climbed to the top of the heap after a warm reception at the Toronto International Film Festival, with Green Book, Roma, and The Favourite nipping at its heels.

BEST PICTURE

Also securing its place in the firmament at that festival was A Star Is Born, Bradley Cooper’s rich musical melodrama that’s actually really good. It’s a front-runner for sure, a little bit less broadly accessible than Green Book, but thumping with a more resonant heartbeat. And the fevered, excitable mood at a Dave Chappelle-M.C.’d premiere party in Toronto only raised the film’s buzzy profile.

Ahead right now: A Star Is Born

BEST ACTRESS

Ahh ahh ahh ahh, ahhhhh ahhh . . . That was supposed to be the Lady Gaga wail from A Star Is Born, because here she comes. What was suggested in Venice was almost made manifest in Toronto: Gaga is more than a contender this year for her film debut. A confident and natural performance, Gaga’s work in the film will earn the kind of devotion that Cher’s did in Moonstruck decades ago. Which I realize is a high bar to set, but there are obvious similarities there—two consummate performers showing us another winning application for their showmanship.

Ahead right now: Lady Gaga, by an eighth note

BEST ACTOR

I’m just going to come right out and say it: Bradley Cooper is going to win this year. I know, I know, it’s early, and I haven’t seen Christian Bale’s **** Cheney, or Rami Malek’s Freddie Mercury. But Cooper is so good in A Star Is Born, and does so much of the Oscar-y stuff an actor needs to do to win, that I just can’t see anyone beating him. Plus, he directed the damn thing, and learned to sing! Who else has that kind of narrative this year? No one, that’s who.

Ahead right now: Singin’, actin’, writin’, directin’ Bradley Cooper—who’s more likely to win here than in director

BEST DIRECTOR

I think we can assume that Bradley Cooper and Alfonso Cuarón will end up with nominations. A half-step below them are Beale Street’s Barry Jenkins, First Man’s Damien Chazelle, and The Favourite’s Yorgos Lanthimos. Those could be the five.

Ahead right now: Alfonso Cuarón

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Ahead right now: Sam Elliott, by one mustache length

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/oscar-awards-season-predictions-toronto-film-festival-a-star-is-born

Bradley

There's this 'ahead right now' part at the end of every category, after a long list of other potential nominees, and apart from Best Director, all other categories are led by A Star Is Born.

Infinity Wave

I'm scalped

I'm deceased

I'm slayed

Nothing could exactly explain how proud of her and Brad I am right now :nick:

Colourful

Sorcerer
1 minute ago, Bio said:

I'm scared this overhyping is gonna get the movie hated until the Oscars.

I agree. I don't want ASIB to peak in the awards race early because it might suffer the backlash of La La Land and Three Billboards. I just hope it stays its momentum.

Nevertheless, GET THAT ACCLAIM ASIB!!! :giveup:

sethrb101

This of course hypes me up even more and makes me happy, but I'm starting to worry about backlash or not getting the outcome we want/expect :sweat: kinda like 2016 election polls versus what we got 

#Gaga2020

Mulholland
12 minutes ago, Bio said:

I'm scared this overhyping is gonna get the movie hated until the Oscars.

There will be a backlash, of course. There always is for a frontrunner. But usually there is a backlash to the backlash. If that timing works out, the backlash to the backlash will be happening when nominating/voting is going on, which is ideal.

MonsterOfficial

nnnnnnnnnnnlet's not overhype :saladga: 

i'm just imagining the people going to watch this with high expectations and it doesn't meet it.

and they'll be like, "that's it? all this oscar hype?"

i hope i am wrong :messga:  please let me be wrong

exorcise my mind

Bradley
1 minute ago, Mulholland said:

There will be a backlash, of course. There always is for a frontrunner. But usually there is a backlash to the backlash. If that timing works out, the backlash to the backlash will be happening when nominating/voting is going on, which is ideal.

what kind of reverse backlashean experience this is

Bradley
1 minute ago, MonsterOfficial said:

nnnnnnnnnnnlet's not overhype :saladga: 

i'm just imagining the people going to watch this with high expectations and it doesn't meet it.

and they'll be like, "that's it? all this oscar hype?"

i hope i am wrong :messga:  please let me be wrong

Well most critics went in to the theatre after hearing about the acclaim and hype, but still went on to praise the movie even further and saying that all the hype is real. Some people with a prejudice against Bradley even apologised for doubting the movie. :air:

Also Gaga's excellence roots in 'naturalism' and 'vulnerability', that's a very subtle way of showing an actor's brilliance, it's very different from the wildly dramatic performances where actors can show very extreme emotions in their acting performances. So I expect just that, an ordinary girl who has dreams of becoming a star and who falls in love and then suffers from a tremendous heartbreak. I'm surprised she's able to deliver (and get acclaimed for) a performance requiring such nuances to be executed.

djBuffoon

For those who are concerned about overhyping: the movie isn't just receiving great reviews, it is getting unanimous raves. You understand it's very rare for a movie to connect with audiences as this has. Even skeptics who went in with their arms folded have admitted defeat.

Granted none of us have seen it, but there is clearly a genuine, disarming quality to the movie. I don't think we have to worry about a group (namely the Academy) watching it and saying "that's it?"

ARTPOPNick
5 minutes ago, Bradley said:

what kind of reverse backlashean experience this is

3 minutes ago, Mulholland said:

Welcome to Oscar season!

yeah indeed, this tbh... The big oscar movies always get a lot of praise in the beginning, then a period of backlash starts when everyone starts dragging the movie, and in the end everyone starts to love the movie again and the oscar winning chances get quit likely..

It's 99% of the times like that: praise - backlash - praise - oscars...

Archived