💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Justin Timberlake a cultural appropriator?

Queen Bitch

Featured Posts

Queen Bitch

Not to sound messy or dumb. But is he? I heard someone say so. There is allegedly an old interview where someone asks him about hijacking black culture. 

DelusionalGaga

He tapped heavily into RnB but he didn't really appropriate anything, at least not as much as some of his peers. The thing people really dislike him for is the incident with Janet Jackson. 

Mulholland

He's never, like, dressed up like a geisha or twerked on Robin Thicke's d***, if that's what you mean.

But he did wear his hair in cornrows and borrowed heavily from hip-hop fashion. He hired the biggest names in rap/urban music to completely shape his sound, for which he was celebrated in an uncomplicated way the black artists who make the same music are not.

I think it's the combination of him (somewhat politely, I will say) borrowing from black culture in his music/image with things like throwing Janet Jackson under and bus and not speaking out on important issues in general.

He's certainly taken from the culture, but what has he given back? I think that's the problem people many people have with him.

Anyway, this article goes into it a little bit more, and I would say it was around this point in 2016 that people really started to take issue with him: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a60737/justin-timberlake-cultural-appropriation/

Queen Bitch
1 hour ago, Unbeweavable said:

Is he not allowed to be inspired by things from black culture? 

I think he is. I'm just confused, where is the line between appropriation and appreciation? 

Queen Bitch
52 minutes ago, Mulholland said:

He's never, like, dressed up like a geisha or twerked on Robin Thicke's d***, if that's what you mean.

But he did wear his hair in cornrows and borrowed heavily from hip-hop fashion. He hired the biggest names in rap/urban music to completely shape his sound, for which he was celebrated in an uncomplicated way the black artists who make the same music are not.

I think it's the combination of him (somewhat politely, I will say) borrowing from black culture in his music/image with things like throwing Janet Jackson under and bus and not speaking out on important issues in general.

He's certainly taken from the culture, but what has he given back? I think that's the problem people many people have with him.

Anyway, this article goes into it a little bit more, and I would say it was around this point in 2016 that people really started to take issue with him: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a60737/justin-timberlake-cultural-appropriation/

Thx for your answer 😊 For me, as a white person, it's hard to understand appropriation sometimes but I totally get your point. 

Queen Bitch
2 minutes ago, MEM said:

Should this thread be in 'Gaga Thoughts'? :oprah:

I had no idea where to put it :poot: this is only my second thread ever, so yeah... :huntyga:

Archived