Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

U.S. Senate passes Music Modernization Act Bill

RAMROD

Featured Posts

The Senate has unanimously passed the Music Modernization Act, a piece of legislation designed to update—or modernize—the way songwriting royalties work in today’s stream-heavy world. 

The legislation has been renamed the Orrin G. Hatch Music Modernization Act in honor of the Republican senior senator from Utah -- a songwriter himself -- who will retire at the end of his term this year. 

Now the Senate version of the bill will go back to the House where it needs approval due to all the changes made to the bill in order to get it passed in the Senate. If the House approves the new version of the bill, it will need to be signed by President Donald Trump before it can become law. 

The Music Modernization Act combines three pieces of music rights-related legislation, including one that makes it easier for rights holders to get paid when songs are streamed online, one that allows songwriters to collect royalties on pre-1972 recordings, and one that allows producers and engineers to be paid royalties when their songs are streamed. Basically, it all just means that the people who make music will still be able to collect royalties as streaming services continue to render all other forms of music distribution obsolete.

full articles at sources:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8475876/music-modernization-act-passes-senate-unanimous-support

https://news.avclub.com/senate-passes-music-modernization-act-paving-the-way-f-1829155740

This is big and great news for musicians, producers, song writers and such :applause:

Let's hope this will be approved quickly!  

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Just now, Blue Madonna said:

If Trump f**ks this one I up I swear- :messga:

Honestly truly,

I am expecting he will approve this though. :pray:

3 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Honestly truly,

I am expecting he will approve this though. :pray:

Yeah same lol but I've learnt never to trust Trump :messga:

Spoiler

ever :messga:

Just now, Blue Madonna said:

Yeah same lol but I've learnt never to trust Trump :messga:

Hide contents

ever :messga:

That is also true :giggle:

Just now, FATCAT said:

****. This is gonna raise prices on streaming services. Prepare y'alls asses.

:sis:  since Day1

When there are 5+ songwriters for one song, I don't see how they expect to gain more the 1 cent per stream..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Just now, River said:

When there are 5+ songwriters for one song, I don't see how they expect to gain more the 1 cent per stream..

This law may enable musicians etc to raise their royalty as needed, I guess that is implied :poot:

Gagaloo911

Lemme get ready to say goodbye to my student discount from Spotify for just $5 per month 

This is good... Streaming is basically stealing money from the music creators ... I hate Spotify and other streaming services 

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

6 hours ago, FATCAT said:

****. This is gonna raise prices on streaming services. Prepare y'alls asses.

Wow, our monthly subscription of 9.99 a month will to up to 10.99 a month, for 40 million songs when u usually don’t even get 1 album for that price :noparty: :poot: 

Archived