💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was 'Candyman' a flop?

Mirrion Rizzons

Featured Posts

Mirrion Rizzons

This song really confuses me,

I mean everybody knows this song, so it obviously didn't flop in my opinion, yet in most markets it peaked fairly low (#25 in US) (#17 in UK)

And by me seeing everybody knows the song, literally EVERYBODY I know knows this, and most of us are 16-17. It's one of her signature songs yet it didn't reach the top 10 anywhere apart from being a chart success in australia, canada, hungary, italy, new zealand and romania??

What do you guys think? Did it flop/underperform? How come everyone knows it if it didn't peak very high?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheodoreRx

I think it just kind of became a cult hit in a way. It gained attention on YouTube and was used a lot in media. 

rumours

Candyman isn't the only example of this for the Back to Basics era.

For example, I'd say Hurt is known by the GP overall. However, it only managed to peak at #19 on the BB Hot 100.

Mulholland

I mean it certainly wasn't a smash, especially coming after "Ain't No Other Man" (which itself is far from her biggest hit). It didn't sell that much (I think it's only gold?) and it wasn't a big radio hit here.

IDK why people "know it." I don't even know if that is true? Like, pop stans probably do, but I don't think it's like... "Slave 4 U" which everyone *knows* even though it peaked at like 27.

Mirrion Rizzons
6 minutes ago, Mulholland said:

I mean it certainly wasn't a smash, especially coming after "Ain't No Other Man" (which itself is far from her biggest hit). It didn't sell that much (I think it's only gold?) and it wasn't a big radio hit here.

IDK why people "know it." I don't even know if that is true? Like, pop stans probably do, but I don't think it's like... "Slave 4 U" which everyone *knows* even though it peaked at like 27.

here in the U.K. I'm a slave reached #4 but more of my GP class mates know candyman than slave

Mirrion Rizzons
Just now, Chuckles said:

Lol we already know that chart positions is not equalt to impact. Next.

ik sis but this is a 2007 song, so it couldn't have been a viral hit, got hardly any radio play and didn't sell much, I'm guessing like @TheodoreRx said it was probably used a lot in media and kids pop hits albums or something

2 minutes ago, Mirrion Rizzons said:

here in the U.K. I'm a slave reached #4 but more of my GP class mates know candyman than slave

i'm a slave 4 u definitely deserved to peak at 4 in the uk, its just that candyman had good longevity here and was released years later. I'm A Slave 4 U is known by like all the uk public aged 20 and over who heard it on the radio in the early and mid 00s. Im only 19 but i remember hearing Slave on the radio during the 00s, it sounded naughty on fm lol.

Chuckles

I still remember this era, she had the whole old hollywood theme going on. And that figure, wonder why no one tuned in during this era of hers, her last successful one imo.

I remember it being huge when I was a kid. And catchy, too- I still remember it to this day, even if I hadn't heard it in years.

I'm surprised it charted so low!

3 points in and ready for more

TeenIdle
24 minutes ago, Mirrion Rizzons said:

Slave's low peak is because of Britney's radio ban in the USA. 

OT: Hurt is more shocking to me. That song is on every talent show ever and I hear it all the time, even now :oprah: 

Archived