💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

MNEK - Language

OliverViennese

Featured Posts

OliverViennese

MNEK is this music genius that started from a very early age to write and produce music. He scored a high profile job at a music production company, when he was still only 17 years old(!). Since then he has written and produced songs for artists such as, Kylie Minogue, Dua Lipa, MØ, Madonna and he has also a writing credit on Beyoncé's "Hold Up".

After scoring a hit with Zara Larsson, Never Forget You (peaked at #5 in the UK and #12 in the US; Top 5 in Australia, Denmark, Finland and Norway; peaking at #1 in Sweden), he started working on his debut album. And he really had a capital BOP as his Lead Single: Tongue. Listen for yourself and watch this video, that gives big pop girl teas. 

After numerous other singles that sadly didn't land chart wise, his debut album is out now and it is SO MUCH FUN.He's serving music, he's serving lyrics, he's serving camp - he's the whole package and it is just so awesome to have this wunderkind black queer artist releasing. 

If you're not yet aware of his music; here are the music video from this era:

Spoiler

And with no further ado: This is his Debut Album: Language.

https://www.last.fm/user/derOlliM

OliverViennese

Language really does feel like this introduction to him and I love it. I really crave these one-track-flowing-into-the-next concept albums and he created a really accessible body of work with it.

First Track Background is a kii and works so nicely as an intro for Correct, which is a very strong opener. He really did come correct and M-N-E-K is how you say it and now you know.

Well, there was this NME review, that claimed Colour and Tongue supposedly worked better in the context of this album. Concerning Tongue - how could a perfect pop song work any better than it already does when being - perfect? (It really is THAT pop anthem of the year really, and facts are facts). But with Colour I actually have to agree. I was never hating on it, honest, but it just never really clicked with me. In the context of the album however it was a cute little track that I even found myself bopping to a teeny tiny little bit. 

[Sidenote on the Gibberish (Interlude) when that someone says his favourite part of Tongue were that "to the tu to the ti to the tatata"? Bitch me too, the ****.]

Phone is a very solid above average album track; not single material though - at least not for me, as it felt little too low key for that, but still really truly enjoyable. Body, to me, is the best out of the songs we had not yet heard from the album. It just feels pretty instant as it flows so naturally. Also that middle 8... like... c'mon, amazing! The R&B influences really do come through specifically in the second part of the album and in my opinion Honeymoon Phaze is one of the tracks where this works best. 

At this point it might be obvious that I have not detected any low points on this album, but it is the very short title-track Language that I had to relisten a few times to wrap my head around as it felt like a bit of a downer at first. What it does well (as does the Hearsay (Interlude)), is contributing to this little narrative MNEK is telling on this album, which at this point goes into this love affair with a (not so) straight man. Musically I'm not 100% feeling Girlfriend, but especially thematically I support it; keeping in mind how this really feels like a try to bring queer themes to a larger mainstream audience and doing it quite explicitly on tracks like this. Oh, and also "Neither you, nor your story's straight" is a good line, and I'll use it.

With Ultra Natés track Free, Paradise samples my favourite LGBTIQ*-anthem ever. I was not sure if that were an advantage or a disadvantage, but I really do love it afterall. He really makes this melody sample his own and I would go to paradise with him (just so you know). The fact that he comes back to sing the original lyrics for the last couple of seconds of the song is a big plus. Crazy World is definetly one of the best songs on this album as it has probably the best lyrics on this album. I feel like he succeeded in talking about social issues in this, while not coming off as too preachy and also while preserving a captivating musical quality. Especially the line "But you won't believe that it's true 'til that somebody's you", I find spot on, as so many people seem to struggle to understand social issues when not being personally affected - or at least when they don't see how they would be personally affected by it. I love how he expands these themes, talking about of how social norms can be imprisoning and that letting people be who they want to be should be the goal in Be (Interlude) and Free

He certainly went all out with Touched By You as an album closer. It feels the most grand, out of all the songs. Him closing it with his deeeep ASMR speaking voice is a nice touch, as it is his signature style of singing on this album - switching from singing to speaking in seconds. "Understood"? 

What an album, you guys. I'm obsessed. He did THAT.

JustHMLover

I didn't have the chance to listen to the album in full yet, maybe I will do it tonight :D BUT I'm sure it's some dope stuff! MNEK is great vocalist and lyricist - he serves and produces bop after bop :D 

OMG

I just realized it, i thought he was the one that wrote "young blood". I had two moments, in this thread. :applause: for the tag, :icega: for my ignorance and inner :huntyga:, the geys lost again,

i know, im off :nooo:

BlondeKingOfGGD

Loving this album so much at the moment 😍

Tongue,Correct.Phone,Colour,honeymoon phase, crazy world, girlfriend, body..

So good

OliverViennese
19 hours ago, isMusic said:

I just got back from the woods and I'M SO EXCITED TO CHECK THIS OUT MNEK IS MY QUEERN 

You're so hot. :ohwell:

And I'm so happy for you, that you'll get to experience this excellent album. :wub:
Share your thoughts, lovelies

Archived