opinion

The contradiction of 'Born This Way'

NIGHTCRAWLER

Featured Posts

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is interesting. 

Interestingly, the ever-enigmatic Lady Gaga's own view of identity is actually a lot more complicated than the "born this way" argument she has associated herself with: "It's a process of living and it's also not ultimately a goal. It's something ever-changing. Something you can ignite at any moment. [...] My fashion is part of who I am, and though I was not born with these clothes on, I was born this way," she told Billboard in 2011. (Source)

Gaga, in other words, believes in being "born this way," but she also believes in being born again, another way. Identity is as mutable as what outfit we choose to wear, something that constantly changes. What we are born with is something more elemental, not a sexual orientation so much as an essential self. Key in Gaga's self-proclaimed worldview is the idea that the self we are born with is mutable, changeable, and—this part is key to understanding Gaga-land—performable.

For example, asked about the differences between Stefanie Germanotta—her given name—and Lady Gaga, here's how she responded: 

"I don't create any separation between my birth name and my subsequent birth name-Lady Gaga. That's the point of what I'm trying to say. Gaga is not manufactured...it is not artificial. I wish I could give that gift to everyone on the planet—the ability for you to create an idea and perceive of something, whether it be a name or a vision for yourself, and just choose to become it. The world, and I base this on the music industry, is obsessed with artists and glamour and creativity and fashion. And artistry has become something that people believe is artificial. For myself, it is my reality. I exist at all times halfway ‹between reality and fantasy. That's the way I was born." (Source)

In other words, when Lady Gaga goes all popping-out-of-the-egg on us, or when she births "a new race of humans" in the "Born This Way" music video, or when she shifts from high femininity to high androgyny in her performances, the point is not that she has some innate identity reflected in performance. Her only innate identity, she seems to say, is her ability to engage with and embody fantasy.

"The nexus of 'Born This Way' and the soul of the record reside in this idea that you were not necessarily born in one moment," Lady Gaga told Billboard. "You have your entire life to birth yourself into becoming the ultimate potential vision that you see for you. Who you are when you come out of your mother's womb is not necessarily who you will become. 'Born This Way' says your birth is not finite, your birth is infinite." 

source:https://www.shmoop.com/born-this-way/meaning.html

I'm new here but I wanted to chime is. 

As a fellow nonbeliever, I suggest remembering that GaGa's religiosity isn't terribly traditional. Furthermore, she takes quite the apologist approach to her version of Christianity. She doesn't interpret the Bible literally, but rather, interprets it to fit her needs. 

It also doesn't matter anyway because the New Testament, the Old Testament, the Kuran, etc. were all written by men. In essence, she's just playing their game. 

That said, I have a hard time with Born This Way for a different reason: it doesn't matter if we were "born" LGBT or "chose" to be, because, it doesn't fvcking matter anyway. 

That said, BTW is still one of my favorites. 

Gagafordope
8 hours ago, NIGHTCRAWLER said:

ï»ż thinking about it I realize now that I interpreted the song as a "self-acceptance" song while it's probably also about the acceptance of the others

ï»żHide contents   Hide contents

took me 7 pages to have an answer and realize that thank you so much lol

ï»ż thinking about it I realize now that I interpreted the song as a "self-acceptance" song while it's probably also about the acceptance of the others

ï»żHide contents   Hide contents

took me 7 pages to have an answer and realize that thank you so much lol

No problem! And I really think it can be interpreted either way-- whatever makes sense and connects with each listener!

Andrea B
9 hours ago, mcddaengbang said:

This is why I prefer listening to the love yourself albums that BTS did. I feel like it's less about a musical phase (obviously not in speeches though. Gaga still does want us to realize we're born this way)  but musically...wow the LY albums are more...literal. and I really like that. I love born this way too though. I just dont believe in God and sometimes it is annoying having to hear "God makes no mistakes"

:ladyhaha: stop promoting them 

Gagafordope

ï»ż Well I totally get it now I don't know how I missed it honestly lol I feel stupid but I think that was clearly the idea thank you! 

No worries! Sometimes it helps just to talk it out! I'm looking at the song in a whole new way! Now I'll be jamming to it for the next few days! :excited::vegas:

moonboywow
5 minutes ago, Andree said:

:ladyhaha: stop promoting them 

I didn't know I couldn't give my opinion here. 

Judas Society

The root of all the arguments here is due to the fact the religion has been ambiguous and contradictory after centuries of reintepretation from different cultural values set by different generations. For example, back then, women were supposed to be quiet and cover their heads during service, which was derived from a certain part of the Bible and was used by our ancestors to justify keeping women inferior in the world of men. So at the end of the day, nobody really knows what to believe anymore because humans twist and turn the Bible and use it to their convenience and advantage.

TopazBlue
11 hours ago, Miky said:

I don't really think it's that deep. Gaga wanted to make a feel-good song and that's how it turned out :) BTW (the song) is actually no lyrical masterpiece tbh.

From the Uncertainty Race today to this being the top thread and this being the first post I see

tumblr_omvz49ocir1rzlfxxo2_250.gif

Wow I'm really being tested today huh :koons:

@Rumours1977

🌈 Born this way, baby! 🌈 | JWT 💙 Aug 21 ⚡ ENIGMA 💙 Oct 19

LordEnigma

“It doesn’t matter if you love him or capital H-I-M.”

God is just a name for whatever you want to believe in or lack thereof.

JazzGa

The mistake you make, friend, is assuming the God Gaga sings about in BTW is the Christian biblical God. There are unlimited nonbiblical ways to interpret, worship, and be inspired by God or a godlike spirit. :) 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with BrianđŸŽș and SteveđŸŽ·

joannesrats

The original translation says that a man shall not lie with child as he does woman. 

I appreciate the effort of trying to have a good conversation, but please research what you're saying

Monster7
12 hours ago, NIGHTCRAWLER said:

the Bible isn't God's wordsï»żï»żï»żï»ż

The Bible (especially the segments you're refering about homosexuality and sins) was written more than two thousand years ago by some old supersticious men in a close minded society whose people would have believed whatever they were told because they were ignorant and didn't know how to read. Moreover, this book has been constantly changed before and after Jesuschrist with the pass of centuries. Changing it to be ok with whatever the rulers of that moment interests were (Romans, church, kings...)

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic

Archived