ASIB Reviews | RT: 90% | MC: 88

monsterdino

Featured Posts

monsterdino

Official 'A Star is Born' Reviews Megathread

Dl8pydIVsAEB4Zp.jpg:orig

Reviews that count toward Rotten Tomatoes / Metacritic:

The Guardian - 5/5

Outrageously watchable and colossally enjoyable... supercharged with dilithium crystals of pure melodrama.

Telegraph - 5/5

The story of A Star Is Born may be as old as show-business, but it is also electrifyingly fresh - a well-known melody given vivid, searching new force.

Variety - 5/5

"A Star Is Born" is that thing we always yearn for but so rarely get to see: a transcendent Hollywood movie.

TheWrap - 90/100

Cooper and Lady Gaga are dynamite together; this is a story that lives and dies by the central relationship and the instant chemistry that must blossom between them, and these two have it in spades.

Time - 90/100

You come away feeling something for these people, flawed individuals who are trying to hold their cracked pieces of self together-or to mend the cracks of those they love.

Star is less a story now than a myth - not so much reborn as recast, and passed on to the care of the next generation.

A Star is Born features great performances all around, but the star that is truly born here is Bradley Cooper as a director.

The real surprise here is not Cooper, but Gaga. More than a newly born star, hers never stops growing.

Indiewire - B

Credit to Cooper for delivering his best, most soulful performance while pulling double duty behind the camera, but it's his co-star whose magnetism most draws you into their world - and keeps you there even when the film hits the occasional wrong note.

This is a durable tale of romance, heady fame and crushing tragedy, retold for a new generation with heart and grit.

Time Out - 4/5

Calling the new A Star Is Born a "valentine" from its star, Lady Gaga, to her fans sounds a bit coy and delicate, so let's call it what it really is: a hot French kiss (with full-on tongue), filled with passion, tears and a staggering amount of chutzpah.

Digital Spy - 4/5

Although the path that A Star is Born treads is well worn, there's a raw honesty to the central relationship that Cooper taps into here, elevating the material far beyond the Glitters of this world by bringing out the very best in both himself and Gaga.

Us Weekly - 3/4

A Star Is Born tries very, very hard to be the most emotional movie of 2018. I'm not convinced it wins on that front, but I can say it gets the prize for most hysterical melodrama. Take it as a compliment.

As an unashamedly anachronistic attempt to muster the emotional intensity of the Hollywood melodrama tradition, Cooper's film must be at least grudgingly acknowledged as a success. And both stars, Gaga in particular, emerge with honour.

Vulture - Positive

What keeps the film from feeling like a mere rehash is the gut-level romanticism of it all.

Chicago Tribune - Positive

You won’t go to “A Star is Born” for crushing realism, or nuance. You’ll go for the vocals, and the nose-to-nose verbal altercations between Gaga and Cooper.

Roger Ebert - Positive

An example of Big Movie Studio Craft at its most well-thought out; among the many contingents of moviegoers it will please will be the 'they don't make 'em like that anymore' crowd.

Little White Lies - Positive

Cooper proves a good cover can work just as well as the original.

Independent - 3/5

Pop diva Lady Gaga gives a perfectly creditable performance opposite Bradley Cooper (who also directs) in the latest version of old Hollywood chestnut, A Star Is Born, but this still feels like an unnecessary remake.

BBC - 3/5

Gaga is appealing, open and down-to-earth in her first major role.

CineVue - 3/5

This utter ludicrousness has all the hallmarks of reality television... but Cooper is so heartfelt in his direction and performance, while [Lady Gaga] has a credibly wonderful voice, so the fairytale feels true.

The Times - 2/5

Cooper's screen chemistry with Lady Gaga is another significant problem. They're great on stage together but in scenes with dialogue they're worlds apart, in apparently different movies.

This is the fourth iteration of A Star Is Born, and even if you haven't seen the previous versions, the formula will be familiar.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

That negative one can choke! Like this is your review?

”This is the fourth iteration of A Star Is Born, and even if you haven't seen the previous versions, the formula will be familiar.”

Really?

You are disgrace to every REAL movie critic out there! Basing your opinion on previous movies is just unprofessional and even if the formulation is same.. Acting and execution is different. 

Dawson

5 positive, one negative. 

A 2/5 from the Financial Times.

This is the fourth iteration of A Star Is Born, and even if you haven't seen the previous versions, the formula will be familiar.

I mean, a 4 or even a 3 I'd accept, but there's no way a film can be so acclaimed and barely manage a 3 score. Someones just being petty or going in with bias.

TropicOfCANCER
2 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

That negative one can choke! 

right? from the blurb, it sounds like they're just annoyed its another remake.

There needs to be one megathread :cryga:

If all the mods are offline... on THIS day...

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

Phaye Monster
Just now, Dawson said:

5 positive, one negative. 

A 2/5 from the Financial Times.

I mean, a 4 or even a 3 I'd accept, but there's no way a film can be so acclaimed and barely manage a 3 score. Someones just being petty or going in with bias.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie?

OT: Coming for that 100% score

I'm an ARTPOP bitch, baby

ARTBOP

The negative one is based on the fact that this is a remake. This could've literally been written without even seeing the film. What **** journalism. :laughga:

ARTBOP

Oh, but can we also point out that the positive review is from a "top critic".
Financial Times can choke. :vegas:

TeenIdle
2 minutes ago, Bradley said:

10 FRESH

1 ROTTEN

Which is 91% so far, I think. How does this work actually

Not The Real Gaga

Don't come for the critics, guys. I'm a professional movie critic myself and the free world wherein we can express our opinions becomes smaller and smaller. People are reacting so violent and nasty towards us nowadays. Just let us do our jobs and try to live with the fact that not everybody rates a movie the same.

• Admin changed the title to ASIB Reviews | RT: 95% | MC: 87

Archived