💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Cosmopolitan: Ariana is our only hope for pop this year

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

4c281ca3-a386-44f9-817c-f61ec304082f.jpg

We need a savior. Someone to deliver us salvation from an overstock of forgettable singles delivered by artists who don’t seem to be striving for more than a bit of radio play; from a landscape completely devoid of big declarations and real divas. We need an artist whose work will “bring light to a situation or someone’s life,” and who’ll use the talents of Max Martin and Pharrell Williams to help them take bigger lyrical risks and to get kind of weird—while also singing about the importance of self-love and care in the wake of trauma and transition. We need a short interlude inspired by Pete Davidson. (Called “Pete Davidson.”)

We need Ariana Grande. In fact: she is our only hope for pop this year. 

It’s a big statement, but it’s also true. First of all, the woman can sing. Like, capital S sing. (Which anyone who’s ever tried singing along to “No Tears Left To Cry” knows by now. And apologies to my neighbors.)

And fine, OK, maybe asking her to save pop this year is an unfair ask. But damn it, Ariana Grande is a force. Especially since her new album Sweetener, which dropped today, is not simply a vehicle for her talents, but her capacity to go down roads less travelled and to, as she’s put it before, “get weird.” (Here’s to her cover of that ‘00s-era Imogen Heap classic, “Goodnight n Go.”) She packs the multi-faceted nature of what it means to be a person into a record that helps articulate the pain, complications, joy, freedom, and strength that it takes to be alive. And she does it her way. Like a true diva.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/music/a22757255/ariana-grande-sweetener-album-review/

TheAlpha

She did pretty good with NTLTC and breathin could be another pop hit in a Trap music world.. So whether some of you like her or not, I agree. She’s the only pop girl this year doing something for pop. Not everyone in pop music is avant-garde. In fact, most aren’t. Stop trying to find the new Gaga. 

Also, in an album like Sweetener (which I didn’t like) where she’s rapping on almost every single song, it’s interesting that breathin is the one getting mad love.

You know this is just my opinion, right?

PunkTheFunk

Ariana makes cute bops but that's it. She doesn't push the envelope at all. Her music can keep us occupied for now but we need a truly groundbreaking artist to come through soon :poot:

Matangi
Just now, PunkTheFunk said:

Ariana makes cute bops but that's it. She doesn't push the envelope at all. Her music can keep us occupied for now but we need a truly groundbreaking artist to come through soon :poot:

Dis a greeeee. she isn't avant garde in any way, but she doesnt need to be. she has the raw talent to do it

baptism

oh good grief. her album isn't even good. she's a good pop star. but her music's out already and we've not been saved. also this article is SO basic lmfao they literally said that her covering imogen heap was "getting weird". give me a break. 

PunkTheFunk
1 minute ago, Matangi said:

Dis a greeeee. she isn't avant garde in any way, but she doesnt need to be. she has the raw talent to do it

Don't get me wrong -- I like Ariana's music and think she's very talented. But nothing about her is 'exciting' :selena: I don't sit at the edge of my seat wondering what direction she's going to go in next because I know it's just going to be her in a ponytail and an over sized sweater singing about love with a few whistle notes thrown in.

Othon

All of Sweetener's reviews really highlight how little the music actually means to music critics. So much of it revolves around the star's image and the narrative they've carefully constructed and disseminated throughout the press over the course of the album's promotional cycle. Every review I've read has included lengthy paragraphs about the Manchester bombing and her relationships and her internet persona. It's less about whether the songs are any good individually or whether they coalesce into a cohesive album and more about the story they want to tell about her life.

This time, Ariana's a liberated woman who's overcome trauma and found love, and therefore the album is good because that story is compelling. Back when ARTPOP was released, the narrative was that Gaga was a pretentious, conceited, unlikable diva who had started taking herself too seriously, and because that story didn't work for them, they spent 3/4ths of their reviews bashing her personally only to tack on a couple of sentences flippantly dismissing the music at the end, which is ultimately what they were supposed to be reviewing.

This review claims that she's "pushing back at standard pop norms." :saladga:What?! Most of this album is super generic! Pharrell's been making the same beats for the past half-decade and his production sounds the same on every one of the tracks he messed with! The only songs worth anything are the ones he didn't touch. 

This sort of thing is so frustrating. I don't know, #JusticeforARTPOP I guess.

PunkTheFunk
5 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

All of Sweetener's reviews really highlight how little the music actually means to music critics. So much of it revolves around the star's image and the narrative they've carefully constructed and disseminated throughout the press over the course of the album's promotional cycle. Every review I've read has included lengthy paragraphs about  the Manchester bombing and her relationships and her internet persona. It's less about whether the songs are any good individually or whether they coalesce into a cohesive album and more about the story they want to tell about her life.

This time, Ariana's a liberated woman who's overcome trauma and found love, and therefore the album is good because that story is compelling. Back when ARTPOP was released, the narrative was that Gaga was a pretentious, conceited, unlikable diva who had started taking herself too seriously, and because that story didn't work for them, they spent 3/4ths of their reviews bashing her personally only to tack on a couple of sentences flippantly dismissing the music at the end, which is ultimately what they were supposed to be reviewing.

This review claims that she's "pushing back and standard pop norms." :saladga: What?! Most of this album is super generic! Pharrell's been making the same beats for the past half-decade and his production sounds the same on every one of the tracks he messed with! The only songs worth anything are the ones he didn't touch. 

This sort of thing is so frustrating. I don't know, #JusticeforARTPOP I guess.

large.jpg

sipthistea
24 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Punk The Truth, always keeping it real. :applause:

We need more groundbreaking and interesting artists these days.

Mister Gaga

I mean, it's sad that the best thing (pop music wise) happening this year is Ariana Grande, who is more basic than Katy Perry. She has AMAZING bops, no one denies it, but she isn't anywhere near to push boundaries or do something risky (don't tell me GIAW is risky or edgy, please don't). 

ThisGuyTony

No Tears Left To Cry is a pop classic but this entire album is not gonna "save" pop music. 

Have they heard Sweetener?

Breathin is the only hope this year :poot: 

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

Lana Del Gay

We don't need a new pop saviour because Gaga is still alive and in the works of LG6 :ohwell:

That rah rah bitch

Archived