celeb

Madonna gives explanations about her VMAs 'tribute'

monketsharona

Featured Posts

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monketsharona

Well, I love you Madge, but don't try to explain anything we all know you love yourself :reductive:

Lucas

Wise words. Now that I think about it the VMAs could have done something for Madonna's birthday too. The queen of pop celebrates her 60th birthday only once

Sneaky Oliver

"I love my dress" :laughga: but she's right. It was not a tribute speech like the one she did to Michael Jackson, she was just sharing her respect for a music icon

I’m on my Legacy Act era

joanoflark

I feel weird about what she's wearing. She just came back from Morocco, with her full Berber attire, an attire that my grandmother wears, and that is a gem of Moroccan Berber culture (Berbers are the indigenous population of North Africa). This is what cultural appropriation is, it's the first time I'm experiencing it on this magnitude, and although I love Madonna, I just don't like how it feels. 

Glamourpuss
18 minutes ago, GagaInTheZone said:

Wise words. Now that I think about it the VMAs could have done something for Madonna's birthday too. The queen of pop celebrates her 60th birthday only once

I doubt she would have liked that. When most women get older they don't like to be reminded of their age. Even getting a card with your age on is a big no no and you blacklist whoever sends you one. 

We have an ageist culture at the moment. In the VMA awards thread last night people were making comments about the Backstreet Boys being too old and saying Madonna's nursing home let her out for the night. I don't think it would have gone down well.  

26 minutes ago, GagaInTheZone said:

She’s been 60 forever :triggered:

Galagala

and she tagged #POSITIVEVIBES to pretend everything from her is just that fine.:triggered:

tumblr_msf66mUewx1saucz7o1_500.gif

Lucas
37 minutes ago, PussyGlam said:

I doubt she would have liked that. When most women get older they don't like to be reminded of their age. Even getting a card with your age on is a big no no and you blacklist whoever sends you one. 

We have an ageist culture at the moment. In the VMA awards thread last night people were making comments about the Backstreet Boys being too old and saying Madonna's nursing home let her out for the night. I don't think it would have gone down well.  

Oh yeah you're 100% right, I didn't think about it that way. It's better nothing happened yet. I was already thinking Madonna wouldn't even care about it a bit after I posted that. But it's so sad that ageism etc... doesn't let us celebrate a woman

NONONONO
1 hour ago, GagaInTheZone said:

2 minutes ago, GagaInTheZone said:

Oh yeah you're 100% right, I didn't think about it that way. It's better nothing happened yet. I was already thinking Madonna wouldn't even care about it a bit after I posted that. But it's so sad that ageism etc... doesn't let us celebrate a woman

I don't think she would mind, but it wouldn't just be something that aligns itself very well with Madonna's personality.

She is not the nostalgic type, and is always looking ahead, never backwards. Despite being accused many times of having a massive ego, she really doesn't like to see herself in the past, or celebrated in that way. She is much more focused on what comes next. 

The recent Vogue Italy cover she did was supposed to be a retrospective of her career, and she just said no, and that she would prefer to talk about her life in Lisbon and where she is right now.

darkwolf
1 hour ago, fayecuntaway said:

I feel weird about what she's wearing. She just came back from Morocco, with her full Berber attire, an attire that my grandmother wears, and that is a gem of Moroccan Berber culture (Berbers are the indigenous population of North Africa). This is what cultural appropriation is, it's the first time I'm experiencing it on this magnitude, and although I love Madonna, I just don't like how it feels. 

How is that cultural appropriation?

Berbers are far from being a minority in Morocco, and Madonna happens to appreciate their culture (she's been quite a few times to Morocco btw).

joanoflark
2 minutes ago, darkwolf said:

How is that cultural appropriation?

Berbers are far from being a minority in Morocco, and Madonna happens to appreciate their culture (she's been quite a few times to Morocco btw).

I don't understand your reasoning, but I'll try to answer you. Madonna is not moroccan, so I don't know what Berbers not being a minority in Morocco has to do with the issue at hand. In the grand scheme of things, Berber Moroccan Culture is a minority culture compared to American Culture. There is no representative for Berbers when Madonna is wearing our clothes, so everybody assumes she's being weird, she's being innovative. Like the comment above where someone said "The only wrong thing she did last night was wear that thing". It becomes "a thing". It is insulting to a whole culture, these clothes are the same exact clothes that Berber women wear traditionally, it's not even taking influence from a culture, it's just taking it, point blank, but I don't blame people for making comments like this because it's not their fault, this one of many side effects of cultural appropriation. Moreover, if you appreciate a culture, care for it enough to take the good things as well as the bad things, homosexuality is still illegal in Morocco, it doesn't happen that often that a celebrated LGBT icon comes to Morocco, she could have said something, her influence could have put us on the map, gave us the existence that we, LGBT people of Morocco, so long for. And before you come at me with the regular criticisms made against cultural appropriation denigrators, I just want to say that I am Moroccan, I am Berber, so you cannot dictate how I feel and react to this issue in particular. 

darkwolf
37 minutes ago, fayecuntaway said:

I don't understand your reasoning, but I'll try to answer you. Madonna is not moroccan, so I don't know what Berbers not being a minority in Morocco has to do with the issue at hand. In the grand scheme of things, Berber Moroccan Culture is a minority culture compared to American Culture. There is no representative for Berbers when Madonna is wearing our clothes, so everybody assumes she's being weird, she's being innovative. Like the comment above where someone said "The only wrong thing she did last night was wear that thing". It becomes "a thing". It is insulting to a whole culture, these clothes are the same exact clothes that Berber women wear traditionally, it's not even taking influence from a culture, it's just taking it, point blank, but I don't blame people for making comments like this because it's not their fault, this one of many side effects of cultural appropriation. Moreover, if you appreciate a culture, care for it enough to take the good things as well as the bad things, homosexuality is still illegal in Morocco, it doesn't happen that often that a celebrated LGBT icon comes to Morocco, she could have said something, her influence could have put us on the map, gave us the existence that we, LGBT people of Morocco, so long for. And before you come at me with the regular criticisms made against cultural appropriation denigrators, I just want to say that I am Moroccan, I am Berber, so you cannot dictate how I feel and react to this issue in particular. 

Firstly, she's not responsible for what some random person might think or assume about her outfit. Secondly, she made it pretty obvious that she's wearing a traditional Moroccan outfit, she never said that she "came up" with it or pass as her own.

And I don't know what LGBT issues in Morocco have to do with her outfit....and even if she said something about that, I'm pretty sure there would still be  seventy hundred billions people outraged by that :huntyga:

Archived