đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The downfall of the VMAs was when...

tomsches

Featured Posts

tomsches

...they allowed the viewers to decide who wins the awards. In the early days, the awards were really about the quality of the music videos no matter how popular the songs were. I don't know how many people know Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, which still holds the record for most wins in 1 night. I don't think nowadays people even know that they are supposed to vote for the best VIDEO. In 2006, the VMAs became a popularity contest. You could see that in 2008 especially when Piece of me won video of the year. Everybody was rooting for Britney to get back on track, especially after her 2007 performance and so they voted for her, but no one can tell me that video deserved to win VOY. Or in 2011, when Fireworks won, but yeah that was when Katy Perry was immensely popular. 

In 2006, it became an award show that honored the most popular songs and artist, when earlier it was a platform for artistic expression also for lesser known bands and artists. But still, they were able to draw in A-list celebrities as performers, because it meant something to win a moonman and so it also meant something to perform and even attend. 12 years later, people don't really watch music videos anymore because everybody uses spotify or whatever and streams random playlists. And so, people vote for the songs they've heard before. And that's why you can spend ages making a meaningful and impactful video that's full of symbolism like This Is America but still lose to a girl dancing in a bar. They lost their credibility and that's why no one bothers to pay attention anymore.

TheodoreRx

Sadly, even the Oscars is down this path now too. As soon as this happens it's only a matter of time before the award show loses all credibility and prestige. 

Karolina
1 minute ago, tomsches said:

And that's why you can spend ages making a meaningful and impactful video that's full of symbolism like This Is America but still lose to a girl dancing in a bar. They lost their credibility and that's why no one bothers to pay attention anymore.

This!

Also the fact that such an important and moving song as 1-800-273-8255 by Logic lost in best collab category to Dinero. Ughhh :bye:

hankhatesyouall

Why exactly do you pinpoint 2006? They picked one of the best videos of all times as VOTY in 2006. 

Yes, this song was a hit (peaking at #7 on BB100), but it wasn't THAT big. A pure work of art.  This, along with Bad Romance, are my favorite VOTY winners.  

tomsches
2 minutes ago, hankhatesyouall said:

Why exactly do you pinpoint 2006? They picked one of the best videos of all times as VOTY in 2006. 

Because that's when the decision to let the viewers vote was made.

hankhatesyouall
Just now, tomsches said:

Because that's when the decision to let the viewers vote was made.

The viewers have taste then. 
Check out pre-2006 nominees - these are also popular songs. I don't see any drastic difference. 
2003 - Missy Elliott "Work It":rip:

RabbitHeart
6 minutes ago, hankhatesyouall said:

Check out pre-2006 nominees - these are also popular songs. I don't see any drastic difference. 

what are you saying about the video for Work It? I saw just as many people say Missy deserved the Vanguard award this year as I saw ppl say Gaga & the Billboard list that ranked Bad Romance the #1 video of the century listed Work It as #2. it deserved the win in 2003 

tomsches
11 minutes ago, hankhatesyouall said:

People had taste then. And 2006 was also when being Emo was a thing. And of course there are also good popular videos. Work it is an iconic video. 

aaronyoji

well also, we have to consider the platform its being aired on; Mtv, which is literally not about the music anymore. i remember when they did their 40th anniversary or something and reran all their old promos, interviews, fashion spotlights, original broadcast shows, spring break, you know what channel i saw it on? Vh1. it was so cool yet filled me with so much sadness and "fomo" cuz i did not get to live through most of that. MTV through to the 90s and early 2000s was kinda the ****. now its just ****. they are culturally irrelevant. 

Bradley
2 hours ago, TheodoreRx said:

Sadly, even the Oscars is down this path now too. As soon as this happens it's only a matter of time before the award show loses all credibility and prestige. 

How can you compare the VMAs and the Oscars? The Oscars are voted by professionals and you don't see The Avengers or Captain America winning Best Picture.

Yes they added that stupid category Best Popular Film but still the other categories have a lot of credibility.

And they are not voted by fans.

Bradley

I actually think the Best Music Film and Best Music Video Grammys have more credibility than the VMAs in terms of honoring quality music videos.

GlitterAndGrease

The VMA downfall started after Kanye's 2009 "moment". From 2010 and on they started focusing on feuds and the actually good performances were becoming less and less in number.

Archived