💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's Dreads?

Suspiria

Featured Posts

PartySick
6 hours ago, KleinGa said:

Im from the Caribbean where the Rastafari culture was invented and we generally laugh at the obsession that you westerners put on “dreads” being cultural appropriation

That's another thing I've noticed. 99% of the people that complain about white people/Americans/Europeans "appropriating" are white Americans/Europeans. These groups that are apparently being stolen from could not give less of a f*ck. Probably because they, like most people, have real concerns and real responsibilities that require more attention than what pop stars do with their wigs.

đŸ–€

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SKANK
8 hours ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

it is a black hairstyle. it's dreadlocks, regardless of whether or not the wig is made from "african hair"....like wtf. "white people dreads" aren't a thing, it's a white person appropriating a traditionally black hairstyle.

and the whole 'they were made to look dirty, wild etc..."

THATS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM!

black people who wear dreadlocks aren't deliberately seeking to look dirty/wild. Gaga is stealing a look from another culture, and completely changing what this hairstyle represents, which she has the power to do as a. white and b. wealthy woman. But as as a white wealthy women, she doesn't have to deal with a stigma or consequence of having this hairstyle, even though she is the one who is contributing to the viewpoint that dreads are "dirty," "unkempt," or "animalistic" when they are anything but that.

image.jpg

220px-Irataba.jpg

Every single continent on Earth has a history of humans matting their hair in stylized locks. To suggest that dreadlocks are only a "black hairstyle" is wrong.

While we may predominantly associate dreadlocks with Rastafarian culture, the earliest recorded history of dreadlocks are Indian in origin. In Europe there are pre-Christian frescoes depicting Ancient Greeks with dreadlocks. Romans noted that the Celts wore their hair matted "like snakes." There are references to dreadlocks in the Bible and in ancient Vedic scriptures. In South America Aztec priests wore dreadlocks in the 12th century, and there are Peruvian dreadlock clad mummies dating back to 200 AD. The Indigenous people of North America and Australia both have long cultural ties to dreadlocks, as you can see from the image above of the Mohave Cheif Irataba, who was rocking dreadlocks in the 1860s.

I disagree with you on basic ideas of culture and how we share it, but I just thought I'd offer some clarity on the factually incorrect statement that dreads are a "black hairstyle." :)

I loved the platinum dreadlocks and anyone who doesn’t can suck my d*ck :huntyga:

Chickens in Malibu

God I hated these looks.

Hopefully she never revisits them again.

She should just stick with her post 2015 fashion (Joanne era)

Queen Gloria

She'll probably never do them again because everyone has to chime in about how "racist" it is

I really love them tbh lmao

they’re so long and idk look artistic 

PSYCHOSHTICK
17 hours ago, Suspiria said:

So what was the general reaction to them at the time? I feel like there was probably a lot of cultural appropriation complaints.

Darling, cultural appropriation is another social trend that really started to take off like three/two years ago.

Nobody ever cared before that, not even back then. 

Guillaume Hamon
On 8/17/2018 at 6:46 PM, ShayCristoforo said:

True but at the same time, nothing great about it either lol. Although she's always trying different things so I get it.

Well it made her happy to get this look so that's great in my book lol.

Regina George

Ammm they never looked good on her in my opinion. You could always tell that’s a wig. IDK.. I just don’t think they fit her. 

Regina George
On 8/17/2018 at 9:48 PM, TropicOfCANCER said:

it is a black hairstyle. it's dreadlocks, regardless of whether or not the wig is made from "african hair"....like wtf. "white people dreads" aren't a thing, it's a white person appropriating a traditionally black hairstyle.

and the whole 'they were made to look dirty, wild etc..."

THATS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM!

black people who wear dreadlocks aren't deliberately seeking to look dirty/wild. Gaga is stealing a look from another culture, and completely changing what this hairstyle represents, which she has the power to do as a. white and b. wealthy woman. But as as a white wealthy women, she doesn't have to deal with a stigma or consequence of having this hairstyle, even though she is the one who is contributing to the viewpoint that dreads are "dirty," "unkempt," or "animalistic" when they are anything but that.

Ammm no. There is no white/black/indian/muslim/etc hairstyle. Dreads have been used in many non black countries long time ago and for you to say that some hairstyle is exclusive to only one race is just out of this world. It’s like I would say “braids are oy for black people” when in reality it is traditional hairstyle in Scandinavia and has been for ages or for me to say “straight hair is only for white girls”. Just drop those words “cultural appropriation”. If you can naturally make it with your hair then you should do it and no one can say “you can’t do it it’s a black/white thing.” 

Archived