💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's Dreads?

Suspiria

Featured Posts

Suspiria

I'd say I've been a stan since pre-ARTPOP, but I didn't start reading GGD until last year, and as such, I've missed out on reading the general consensus on many of Gaga's looks, such as the dreadlocks from 2012-14.

Sometimes they were really tasteful and fresh looking (these are 2 of my all time favourite looks), giving off a sophisticated "contemporary powdered wig" regal vibe:

454303613.jpg

article-0-19FAB04200000578-513_634x1039.

I also think they worked well when she was going for the full on filthy, drug-crazed, desperate, nothing-left-to-lose swine thing at SXSW:

lady-gaga-sxsw-2014-650a.jpg

However, they just screamed "white girl trying to be ghetto" when she was going through her Bangerz pre-ARTPOP Princess High phase:awkney:

gagadread.jpg

And I won't even show those messy af ropey ones she wore out a few times:toofunny:

So what was the general reaction to them at the time? I feel like there was probably a lot of cultural appropriation complaints.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember there being much backlash for the Jingle Bell Ball look (first one) or the second, I'm pretty sure everyone was just gagged by how good she looked.

Ryusei

Did anyone care 4 years ago? :selena: 

Either way I don't remember it ever being brought up tbqh

Musery

ShayCristoforo

I think they look fine but also corny when it's on someone who's not in hip hop/reggae or Rastafari culture 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Killa

I like but its ridiculous

She changed so much those days and was a low popularity phae. No one gave a damn

Just abother desperate attempt from gaga

AshIey

I don’t remember any backlash. That was before there was a huge focus on cultural appropriation. 

BornSimon
8 minutes ago, Killa said:

I like but its ridiculous

She changed so much those days and was a low popularity phae. No one gave a damn

Just abother desperate attempt from gaga

Excuse me? An attempt at what exactly?

Anyway, luckily no one cared and no one thought it was offensive. Do you have any idea how many people here in Europe have dreads and no one bats an eyelid? 

Killa
37 minutes ago, BornSimon said:

Excuse me? An attempt at what exactly?

Anyway, luckily no one cared and no one thought it was offensive. Do you have any idea how many people here in Europe have dreads and no one bats an eyelid? 

Calm down its not my opinion. After btw anything gaga would do was just attempt for attention

Thats what i meant.

I live in portugal. Dreads are fairly common. At my job obe guy has big dreadlocks and hes not really rastafari. 

kabirartfling

These were iconic. So pretty and God like. However she ruined the whole surprise factor by wearing them in 2012, almost a year before ARTPOP came out, thus killing the surprise element

Give your love to me

Aglaya
27 minutes ago, Killa said:

After btw anything gaga would do was just attempt for attention

GagaDaily 2018

could mean anything

Killa
2 minutes ago, Aglaya said:

GagaDaily 2018

What? Are you telling me thats not the public perception from 2012 to 2013 and even in 2011..

Irrelevant
2 hours ago, Suspiria said:

article-0-19FAB04200000578-513_634x1039.

this look is my fav :giveup:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Archived