Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

Junkee: Is ARTPOP As Bad As Everyone Says

TheAlpha

Featured Posts

TheAlpha

This week, Music Junkee is celebrating the 10th anniversary of Lady Gaga’s debut album The Fame with a retrospective on her career. Here, we reconsider ARTPOP, her much-maligned 2013 album.

By the time ARTPOP arrived, its narrative had already been etched — as The Guardian said, it read as a desperate attempt “to re-establish brand Gaga as some luridly necessary cultural force”. Subsequently, the album ‘flopped’ by selling well but not at the astronomical level we’d come to expect, merely sitting alongside Katy Perry’s Prism and Miley Cryus’ Bangerz.

Writing this feature, I listened to ARTPOP consistently for a week — it was a bumpy ride, and one which nearly derailed this article as I alternated between viscerally hating and loving the album. But even at its most obnoxious, ARTPOP encourages repeat listens, even if you’re just trying to work out what exactly is going on. That’s more than could be said for ‘The Cure’, Gaga’s standalone single from last year — a disappointing post-Joanne return which trades in pop-by numbers platitudes that seemed geared towards algorithmic tastes than star power.

Article:

https://junkee.com/ARTPOP-lady-gaga/170719

You know this is just my opinion, right?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheAlpha

“Five years later, ARTPOP‘s biggest cultural mark is its meme status. Little Monsters and ironic hashtaggers alike still to this day implore people to #BuyARTPOPOniTunes.” :messga:

I’m not even a big ARTPOP fan and this hurt because it’s true..

thierryrreiht
10 minutes ago, TheAlpha said:

“Five years later, ARTPOP‘s biggest cultural mark is its meme status. Little Monsters and ironic hashtaggers alike still to this day implore people to #BuyARTPOPOniTunes.”

@Uncle ARTPOP

16 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

was the cure shade needed tho

Yes it was. It's not a bad song but for a trendsetter artist like Gaga, it's mainstream basic trash.

People even compare the song to a chainsmoker song, that's enough shade for The Cure. And I love The Cure and I love The Chainsmokers :vegas:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

TheAlpha
4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

People even compare the song to a chainsmoker song

I remember watching Zachary Campbell’s reaction to the song and he said it sounded like a Chainsmokers song..:laughga: 

Great article :vegas:but I still can't believe this is going to be the legacy of ARTPOP :cryga: the album that "flopped", the album that had potential but lacked good promo...with so many broken promises and missed steps :smh:

I love ARTPOP and I really hope one day to see Gaga's vision for ARTPOP in another future album :firega:

2 minutes ago, TheAlpha said:

I remember watching Zachary Campbell’s reaction to the song and he said it sounded like a Chainsmokers song..:laughga: 

I know :giveup: and we all know how the majority in this site feel about them :cryga:

ryanripley
9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes it was. It's not a bad song but for a trendsetter artist like Gaga, it's mainstream basic trash.

People even compare the song to a chainsmoker song, that's enough shade for The Cure. And I love The Cure and I love The Chainsmokers :vegas:

mess, it was just a one off random single that didn't even get a video, it's not like she totally ditched joanne for mainstream pop or tried to act like it was something amazing and new

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

mess, it was just a one off random single that didn't even get a video, it's not like she totally ditched joanne for mainstream pop or tried to act like it was something amazing and new

What I hate about that time was that people started to say that she realised how bad Joanne was and that she needed to make a basic pop song to keep herself relevant :smh:

Also that we didn't get a fcking video :saladga:

DaftFameMonster

They made same points but the shade is a little much. Its been 5 years. I hope with time people will begin to acknowledge it for its potential, it's vision, not it's unfortunate downfall. It had a lot more to offer than what everyone let it. 

Tyler1992

I still like to believe that Gaga knew that people were going to trash her no matter what she was going to do, so she just went the extra mile to **** her **** up and be obnoxious with her looks and ARTPOPS sound. 

sipthistea

I still love ARTPOP for what it is, the final chapter of a wild, extravagant and flamboyant period of time for Gaga. It felt like an experiment that went the wrong way, but it left many interesting ideas for new and more amazing projects in the future. 

I don't know what's happening now, the future is uncertain. But Gaga is a talented artist so she'll be ok, and she'll deliver as she always does. 

LibraLove
21 minutes ago, Tyler1992 said:

I still like to believe that Gaga knew that people were going to trash her no matter what she was going to do, so she just went the extra mile to **** her **** up and be obnoxious with her looks and ARTPOPS sound. 

This could totally be true, because literally almost every recent pop girl's fourth album goes through a rough patch where it's just not received how they thought and the media just plays up who to shat on now.

Archived