Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Straight actor to play first gay character in Disney film, faces backlash

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

Jack Whitehall has received backlash online after news broke that he'd been cast as Disney's first major gay character in Jungle Cruise.

The comedian wrote that he was "honoured" to be a part of the 2019 film, and it was later reported that he would be playing an openly gay man.

The news has led some people to ask why a gay actor wasn't cast for the role.

"Could they seriously not pick someone actually gay?" one person tweeted.

Others have argued that hiring gay actors to exclusively play gay roles is "typecasting".

Jungle Cruise, which is based on a Disney theme park ride of the same name, is due to be released in October 2019.

Jack announced that he'd be joining co-stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Emily Blunt on Instagram.

Jack's role is rumoured to be "hugely effete, very camp and very funny" and some people have argued that having a straight man act like this is "perpetuating stereotypes".

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45171052

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gladys622

This is so dumb. After years of oppression and no representation at all besides being the butt of a joke these people are mad that the actor is straight. Why can’t people be thankful?

boom boom cherry

ryanripley

oh my god please no, NO, not jack whitehall :grr: 

i can't stand him and i do NOT want him to play disney's first gay character and tbh, there's plenty of openly LGBT actors in hollywood :madge: 

recast the role or i will... do nothing

tumblr_inline_oaraidirGF1tpwy2m_500.gif

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

LUO YI

Really? :triggered: he’s an actor after all, if he can do the character it’s fine. 

There's people with way worse problems and to complain about this...

The night sky tells all

Scathach
4 minutes ago, LittleLocoCoco said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jack-whitehall-disney-jungle-cruise-gay-role-straight-actor-ruby-rose-batwoman-a8489686.html

Headline:

Spare me your manufactured outrage about Jack Whitehall playing Disney's first gay character – actors are actors

But the problem remains that openly gay actors struggle to get roles, and almost impossible for some to get straight ones. It’s a fact. That’s why so many are closeted.

Yuuri

What I said was a joke. Sorry if anyone got offended, I was merely referncing a video. It is a problem that Hollywood has, but at the end of the day actors are actors. They lie, it's part of the job to tell a story, yes I'm mad that they didn't cast someone that can relate to the role better.

Reality

I have very mixed opinion when it comes to certain actors playing certain characters. On one hand, this isn't a huge problem for me. I mean, Nick Robinson played the lead in Love, Simon and Timothée Chalamet played the lead for Call Me By Your Name, and I had no issue with it. However, on the other hand, I do find it offensive—depending on the character and circumstance—when a character is white-washed (i.e. Scarlett Johansson in Ghost In The Shell). 

I guess it's because race is a much more visible trait than sexuality, but it's interesting that double standard when it comes to race.

EDIT - I think the more important issue with this is writing for this movie. The character is said to be very "effete." That could cause a lot of issues in regards to proper representation.

🖤👹

RepentingSinner
Just now, Scathach said:

But the problem remains that openly gay actors struggle to get roles, and almost impossible for some to get straight ones. It’s a fact. That’s why so many are closeted.

Has any study been conducted? If i were to make a movie i would go with the best actor regardless of sexuality or gender, but thats my 2 cents.

Evan Peters

twitter was also crying about ruby rose, whose lgbt, not being the right 'lesbian' to play batgirl, so what's ya'll's point 

emma roberts is an abuser

Scathach
Just now, LittleLocoCoco said:

Has any study been conducted? If i were to make a movie i would go with the best actor regardless of sexuality or gender, but thats my 2 cents.

No need for a study to be conducted. You can see for yourself how many openly gay actors are leads or even act in Hollywood blockbusters. 

LordEnigma

“Could they seriously not pick someone actually gay?” :huntyga:

Are journalists really quoting irrelevant accounts on Twitter now? 

LordEnigma
1 minute ago, Scathach said:

No need for a study to be conducted. You can see for yourself how many openly gay actors are leads or even act in Hollywood blockbusters. 

I completely get it and I do think more LGBT needs to represented in the media - but we do only make up a very small percentage of the population. I’d find it strange to see the majority of roles to go to us.

Archived