💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

Hollywood News's Oscar predictions for A Star Is Born

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

So far I have read a lot of Oscar predictions and I made threads for most of them. Most of them include A Star Is Born in their predictions. Among those are AwardsCircuit, IndieWire, EntertainmentWeekly, HollywoodReporter, NextBigPicture, BBC, TheFilmExperience, IMDB.

This is another list made by hollywoodnews.com, and it's made in August.

BEST PICTURE

1. First Man
2. If Beale Street Could Talk
3. BlackKklansman
4. A Star is Born
5. Untitled **** Cheney Biopic
6. The Front Runner
7. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
8. The Favourite
9. Mary Queen of Scots
10. On the Basis of Sex

BEST DIRECTOR

1. Barry Jenkins – If Beale Street Could Talk
2. Damien Chazelle – First Man
3. Spike Lee – BlackKklansman
4. Adam McKay – Untitled **** Cheney Biopic
5. Bradley Cooper – A Star is Born

For Best Actor, Bradley is placed at #7 in their prediction.

BEST ACTRESS

1. Felicity Jones – On the Basis of Sex
2. Saoirse Ronan – Mary Queen of Scots
3. Stefani Germanotta (Lady Gaga) – A Star is Born
4. Melissa McCarthy – Can You Ever Forgive Me?
5. Olivia Colman – The Favourite

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. Sam Elliott – A Star is Born
2. Timothee Chalamet – Beautiful Boy (Could Go Lead)
3. Richard E. Grant – Can You Ever Forgive Me?
4. Sam Rockwell – Untitled **** Cheney Biopic
5. Bruce Dern – White Boy Rick

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

1. A Star is Born
2. If Beale Street Could Talk
3. First Man
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5. The Favourite

BEST SOUND MIXING

1. Avengers: Infinity War
2. A Star is Born
3. Bohemian Rhapsody
4. A Quiet Place
5. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

BEST SOUND EDITING

1. Avengers: Infinity War
2. A Star is Born
3. Bohemian Rhapsody
4. A Quiet Place
5. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

1. A Star is Born
2. Hearts Beat Loud
3. Boy Erased
4. Black Panther
5. Mary Poppins Returns

http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2018/08/10/an-early-august-update-to-academy-award-predictions/

The Venice Film Festival and Toronto International Film Festival premieres will likely affect the predictions made in the future, depending on the reviews. A Star Is Born (the film) in itself is a very strong contender in Best Picture, Best Cinematography and Best Original Song, most predictions think the film will win the latter two. Most predictions also think ASIB will be nominated for Sound Mixing and Sound Editing. The predictions regarding these technical categories will likely not change.

What the premieres and second trailer can do is to strengthen Bradley and Gaga's acting nominations by pushing them upward since some sites place them at #5 or below (but which are top 10). However we know that acting categories only consist of five nominees, so if more predictors could place them at #2 or #3, then it would be better.

The release of the movie and its reception are crucial to Bradley and Gaga's acting nominations, I am honestly quite nervous for Gaga as I don't know how well her acting performance is going to receive. Bradley's performance is likely to be received well but Gaga's is still ambiguous to me.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley
1 minute ago, Rifek said:

Do we know which song is considered as 'Best Original Song'?

No. Hopefully the Venice Film Festival premiere will give us some information on that.

Early reviews are positive, but who knows how the public will react to it. Ally is Gaga's biggest role so far, and very few actors and actresses won an Oscar for their debut performance, so I highly doubt she'll win, I still hope she does, but a nomination is fine.

I really love the cinematography. This twitter user analyzed the use of colors in the film (Based on the trailer) and you should read this too.

They better give A Star is Born the Oscar for Best original song after that 2016 mess. Still waiting for them to release The Shallow.

Bradley

Ok I just found this fun fact regarding how they announce nominees.

I've been watching the videos of the announcement of nominations for past years, and I realise for Best Picture, they invariably announce the films in alphabetical order. Considering A Star Is Born starts with an 'A', it should be one of the first films announced, should it be nominated.

For actors they mix it up and do not follow alphabetical order.

:emma:

plasticalice
13 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Ok I just found this fun fact regarding how they announce nominees.

I've been watching the videos of the announcement of nominations for past years, and I realise for Best Picture, they invariably announce the films in alphabetical order. Considering A Star Is Born starts with an 'A', it should be one of the first films announced, should it be nominated.

For actors they mix it up and do not follow alphabetical order.

:emma:

Crickets. Absolute crickets!

TropicOfCANCER

The trailers for “on the basis of sex” and “Mary queen of scots” actually made me lose hype for both of the lead female performances. I’m not really feeling like saoirse and felicity are front runners 

Galagala
5 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

The trailers for “on the basis of sex” and “Mary queen of scots” actually made me lose hype for both of the lead female performances. I’m not really feeling like saoirse and felicity are front runners 

I just googled them about the plot/cast and thought that they will definitely in the short list. Okay, let me go see the trailers.:vegas:

Do these people make this predictions based on trailers or they really see the whole movie before us? if they did see and make these predictions its a big thing... awards are coming

nerdfacekillah

@Bradley i just wanna say thank you for the work you do by collecting and summarizing all this info.:golfclap:

If you don’t have any shadows, you’re not standing in the light.

PunkTheFunk

While it's highly unlikely, can you imagine if Gaga won 2 Oscars in the same night? :air:

I think the best actress category is going to go something like this:

1. Glenn Close - The Wife

2. Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born

3. Toni Collette - Hereditary  

4. Olivia Colman or Rachel Weisz - The Favourite 

5. Nicole Kidman - The Destroyer 

Glenn Close has been nominated for an oscar SIX times and she's already receiving rave reviews for her performance in 'The Wife' -I don't think the academy are going to snub her again. 

I also think GAGA has a good shot at possibly winning best actress as ASIB is already gaining/generating positive hype and momentum. I think if ASIB is received well by the GP as well as the critics, she could bag at least an oscar nom or maybe even have a similar awards-season trajectory and win just like Emma Stone did back in 2017 for La La Land. Gaga is definitely a shoe-in for Best Original Song though and she's most likely the frontrunner. If she doesn't win for Best Actress, she'll win for BOS that's what I hope. *fingers crossed* 

Saoirse's 'Mary, Queen of Scots' and Felicity Jones' 'On the Basis of Sex' have already started receiving mixed reviews based on the trailer's alone so I highly doubt they'll be frontrunners in this category - although they could possibly be golden globe nominated but won't win. 

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

The Z

EVERY prediction so far predicted GAGA to be nominated for BEST ACTRESS (top 3) and EVERY prediction predicted GAGA TO WIN BEST ORIGINAL SONG. I'm shook.

Bradley
45 minutes ago, nerdfacekillah said:

@Bradley i just wanna say thank you for the work you do by collecting and summarizing all this info.:golfclap:

It just began with my obsession for her to be recognised by the Academy. :huntyga:

Thanks for your kind words nonetheless.

Bradley
23 minutes ago, mamo said:

Saoirse's 'Mary, Queen of Scots' and Felicity Jones' 'On the Basis of Sex' have already started receiving mixed reviews based on the trailer's alone so I highly doubt they'll be frontrunners in this category - although they could possibly be golden globe nominated but won't win. 

Whose reviews? Like professional reviews or?

Archived