Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

If not for British Artists, we wouldn't have had classics this decade!

Chickens in Malibu

Featured Posts

River

Excluding Rag'N'Bone

His song sounds like a song that a republican is singing to justify their shitty behavior and decisions..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Yuuri

Honestly Adele is the only artist on your list that can be considered a classic. The others are just pop songs, that any artist could have made.

SpeechIess
32 minutes ago, ARTPOPSTER said:

I feel Ed Sheeran is full of himself.  He routinely does and says things that can be taken the wrong way. How many times has he been called out for taking other people’s songs without credit? Just my opinion, but I still respect your thoughts. :huntyga:

ye, he's cocky and generic, nothing memorable. skdksk

SpeechIess
21 minutes ago, brizoda said:

UK music now is in a coma state. Look at the charts

J*ss Glynne for example, she's just awful. :madge:

Glamourpuss

I know what you're saying but UK music is still so bad. Even Kylie Minogue (Australian but popular in the UK) hasn't released a decent pop song in a while. Golden was bland in my opinion. 

We need a massive overhaul. I'm craving a catchy pop song with a killer hook so bad. 

Oh and Rock a Bye Baby is a classic? :laughga: It's absolutely abysmal. 

PlastiscGuy
1 hour ago, nicolasrumet said:

First of all I'm not british, so I'm not really biased or anything.

But seriously,

I think we can all agree that the state of music in the U.S music industry is so bad this decade, that british artists became our last beacon of hope as far as classics are concerned. Personally almost 80% of what I listen to recently are british artists. Music wouldn't be as enjoyable if not for the british artists who served us bops not only this decade but previous decades as well. And I think at this point in time, the british music industry is becoming far superior to the american industry. Even UK Charts are becoming more important in my eyes than Billboard (which became a pile of garbage). This a moment of appreciation for these recent classics. Let's just hope the garbage hip-hop trend won't reach the UK anytime soon (I'm not against hip-hop I like Kendrick Lamar because he's good at it and delivers quality music, but most hip-hop artists are garbage nowadays).

But can you really think of a classic that wasn't performed by a british artist this year? I can't think of any :laughga:

You're right :vegas:

PG.

RIPheygirl

truth if we didnt hav brits then iconic bops like dog days are over and primadonna wouldnt exist

chali xcx is the saviour of pop music aswell

Chickens in Malibu
19 hours ago, PlastiscGuy said:

You're right :vegas:

Funny how you took out Thinking Out Loud haha...

No wonder why Ed Sheeran left Twitter because of LMs the hate is real lol

jaXXXon

Thinking Out Loud is a rip-off of a classic Marvin Gaye song called "Let's Get It On" and "Stay With Me" has the exact same melody as "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty to the point where Sam's team had to credit Petty for co-writing the song. Pretty much just like Ed's team had to credit TLC in Shape Of You because he ripped-off their song No Scrubs.

I agree Adele's Hello is a future classic, but Ed is nothing but a copycat. So it's REALLY ironic you claim American music is in the gutter when half of those British "classics" you listed are rip-offs of American songs lmfao :ladyhaha:

StrawberryBlond

If you mean "classics" as in "music I personally like," then I wouldn't necessarily agree with you. But if you mean "classics" as in "the general public have really taken this song to heart and will remember it fondly for a long time," then I do agree. There has been a big case of the British Invasion for a few years now. On the one hand, it's great as a Brit to see my people do so well, but at the same time, it tends to be because they take such a pedestrian direction. The last British artist who made it truly big in the US that I truly enjoyed was Amy Winehouse. Everyone else can credit their fame over there to being generic, taking advantage of trends and giving the public exactly what they want.

In terms of who Britain are making successful in general, I tend to be at a loss. We support so much mediocrity and I can't help but think that we do it because they're from our country and we've got a bit of that national bias. Most of the top 40 bestselling albums every year in our country are by British acts. It's like you don't stand a chance to have a big successful album in our country these days if you're not Beyonce or Taylor Swift. I think we really need to start expanding our tastes as most of the albums I prefer are from American artists and so many people are missing out on such awesome music!

On 8/8/2018 at 5:32 PM, River said:

Excluding Rag'N'Bone

His song sounds like a song that a republican is singing to justify their shitty behavior and decisions..

When you really look at his lyrics, his meaning could be so ambiguous. Initially, I thought it was just a song about feeling down on your luck, but then I wondered if it was about feeling annoyed at being criticised for being a straight white male in today's society. But then his video features people of all genders, races and looks and they mouth the words too, so it's hard to say. I actually kinda appreciated the message a bit more when I thought it was more a case of "stop blaming innocent, decent, non-racist white people for things they can't control and have no power over" because that's something that I've really been feeling lately. But again, it could be a song for anybody who's down on their luck and feels they get perceived negatively for their gender, race or looks. Either way, it works.

Archived