💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Biggest Gaga "Copy" reaches

Xoxo Adriana

Featured Posts

Xoxo Adriana

In this article, I wanted to explore the many times Gaga was accused of plagiarism, and of course, the ones that became extreme reaches. You are all obviously aware of the infamous Born This Way / Express Yourself drama, however these copy accusations/deemed reaches you may have not ever heard of, and if you have, you'd know they didn't make it that far in the public eye as much as the Express Yourself one did. 

DISMCLAIMER: I am not making this thread to bash anyone, not even Madonna. My intentions of making this thread are to show how stupid plagiarism accusations can get. And how over the past few months I've really thought hard about this topic. Women in music constantly go through this, in fact more than male artists do. So I wanted to make a thread discussing it. 

1. "Applause sounds like Girl Gone Wild"

Ok so I came across this article, accusing Gaga of "copying" Madonna's iconic 'Girl Gone Wild' in ARTPOP's lead single "Applause". 

https://www.gigwise.com/news/83571/

"Lady Gaga has been accused of 'ripping off' Madonna once again, this time on her new single 'Applause'." The article reads.

This article is followed by a bunch of tweets, supposedly from Madonna fans saying the same thing.

However, I'm guessing everyone here has listened to both songs religiously by now, and despite listening to the two together I just cannot pin-point any "similarities" that both songs have. This accusation didn't make it very far to the GP though, despite this happening around the beginning of the supposed feud between Gaga and Madonna.

2. "Perfect Illusion sounds like Papa Don't Preach"

Again, more Madonna plagiarism bull. This happened around the same day as the 'Joanne' lead single released. Twitter stans went into a frenzy when Gaga released Perfect Illusion, and they couldn't help but compare it to Madonna's 1986 hit 'Papa Don't Preach' from her album 'True Blue'. 

https://www.glamour.com/story/lady-gaga-new-song-perfect-illusion

"But not everyone is pleased with Mother Monster's mainstream return. It didn't take long for Twitter users to draw sonic comparisons between "Perfect Illusion" and - you guessed it - Madonna" (Glamour knows how this goes:sharon:)

This article however seems to praise Gaga's hit song far more than the previous article, which seemed to favour Madonna's end. 

3. Gaga "stole" Azealia Banks' mermaid look

This one became a little more known to the public the the previous two. In 2013, Gaga debuted the seashell bikini and garden panty in her "Applause" music video, as well as her 'Venus' song. When a feud ignited between the two artists in 2014, after two of their collaborations were cancelled off her 'ARTPOP' album, Azealia accused Gaga of copying her whole mermaid look that she has been using since 2012. However, what makes this the biggest reach ever is that other artists have been using Azealia's self-entitled "mermaid look" way before Azealia started her career:

Mariah-Carey-real-life-mermaid-Halloween

Mariah Carey - Halloween costume (2003)

7821549c5898b4fd38322a5139883653.jpg

Madonna - 'Cherish' music video (1989)

b10bea192b41466f4f5a0746cc9b6b6d.jpg

Katy Perry - Hair ad (2011)

and of course, the most ironic part of Azealia's claim? Gaga debuted a mermaid look of her own in 2011, a YEAR before Azealia debuted it.

4b83dcb0eca0d38f330bb7669538261b.jpg

Lady Gaga - 'You & I' Music Video / Inez + Vinoodh photoshoot (2011)

I am not implying that any of these artists copied each other. Mermaids are not owned by any of these artists, they have been around for centuries. My thoughts? Any artist can use a mermaid look, and it shouldn't be that they are accused of copying just for using it, hence why Azealia's accusation is a mega reach. 

4. Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' Horns copyright claim

Remember when French artist, Orlan, sued Gaga for her horns from the Born This Way era? 

She sued Gaga because she claimed Gaga "stole" the look from her that she has been using years before her. Well, lets take a look at the supposed similarity between Orlan and Gaga:

tumblr_ljytq5rXks1qjomwyo1_500.jpg

Firstly, yes, they're both wearing facial horns. BUT, they don't even look remotely the same! There are many notable differences between Gaga's facial horns and Orlan's. Because of the extreme differences, and the fact that Orlan decided to file a copyright claim towards Gaga years later, Orlan lost the case this year, and was forced to pay Gaga and Universal a huge $18,000. Yikes! 

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/06/meet-visual-artist-who-says-lady-gaga-stole-her-look/314215/

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/orlan-appeal-lady-gaga-1292408

5. 'Joanne' is a copy of Madonna's 'Music' album

universal.png

Another Madonna/Gaga thing. Sorry guys, this is the last one I promise. 

Countless amounts of "Gaga copies Madonna" reaches have been made since 2011, however out of all of them this one has to be the biggest reach. The most notable comparison, according to fans is the country themed album cover. However, if anyone here has listened to both albums, music-wise they are totally different. Madonna's 'Music' album is a far more pop oriented album with some electronic/dance vibes to it. Gaga's Joanne is more country and less pop. How is this so? Listen to some of the tracks on each album. 'Music' (the song) is very much dance pop, with no country vibes whatsoever. 'American Pie', another single off the album contains limited country vibes, and is mainly an electronic version of the original American Pie song, which is very country. Gaga's singles, from A-Yo, to Million Reasons, John Wayne incorporate mainly country vibes. The songs off this album that contain small pop vibes are very limited. The complete opposite to Madonna's album.

2 minutes ago, Kylie Jenner said:

"Perfect Illusion sounds like Papa Don't Preach"

"Applause sounds like Girl Gone Wild"

i thought Gaga sang ggw and papa dont preach?

FadMadonsterStan

I love all those songs and they all don’t sound familiar at all! And the mermaid thing is a REACH, like really? Theirs been mermaid costumes before?!

Don't go for second best, baby Put your love to the test

I don’t know so much about the songs, but fashion wise people every week kept saying Gaga copied someone else. 🙄

StarstruckIllusion

Here’s one of the monstrosities getting brave:

whore
11 minutes ago, Kylie Jenner said:

Orlan lost the case this year, and was forced to pay Gaga and Universal a huge $18,000. Yikes! 

But why did she owe Gaga?? 

Reality

If I'm gonna be honest, I have never heard the similarities between Born This Way and Express Yourself. I guess the messages are similar, but sonically, they sound completely different to me.

🖤👹

Gaga Lazuli
9 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

wasting her time basically. 

Little Monsters Torture Me

ryanripley
6 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

If I'm gonna be honest, I have never heard the similarities between Born This Way and Express Yourself. I guess the messages are similar, but sonically, they sound completely different to me.

if you play them side by side, you can hear similarities but to call the song an EY rip off is a reach tbh

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

The Child
23 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

Cause Gaga & Universal had to hire lawyers.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Sneaky Oliver
35 minutes ago, Kylie Jenner said:

3. Gaga "stole" Azealia Banks' mermaid look

And some lady sued Gaga i think for dressing as a mermaid while sitting in a wheelchair 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

The Child
2 minutes ago, Gardevoir said:

Mess it was Bette Midler :emma: and she didn’t sue she just called her out on it

https://www.advocate.com/news/daily-news/2011/07/18/bette-midler-lady-gaga-and-mermaid-war

I miss the time where Gaga was so big that she made everybody jealous.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Xoxo Adriana
47 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

Because she lost the case. She put all that effort into a case that made no sense whatsoever. There are literally so many artists apart from her and Gaga who wear prosthetics on their face. So as @LGQOP said, she pretty much wasted everyone's time with that case.

Xoxo Adriana
31 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

And some lady sued Gaga i think for dressing as a mermaid while sitting in a wheelchair 

This is true, however Gaga wasn't sued, she was simply called out, as @Gardevoir said.

425.wheelchairs.lc.071811.jpg?fit=inside

Keep in mind, I think this look was partly channeling her look from Paparazzi. Her intentions could've simply been that she was re-inventing a look she did 2 years beforehand...

Picture_3.jpg

Archived