Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Will ASIB pit against Bohemian Rhapsody?

_Lam

Featured Posts

As many of you know, A Star is Born is coming out on October 5th.
What you should also know it that there's also Bohemian Rhapsody, which is a Queen biopic, coming out on Novembre 2nd, only one month later.
The second trailer dropped few days ago and the famous and talented Youtuber Grace from "Beyond the Trailer" posted an incredibly enthusiastic reaction video and even started to draw similarities with ASIB. Have a look here : 

I was reading the comments and I started noticing a small but still worrying trend that people would start to compare both movies. Almost as if it was a Queen vs. Gaga music movie fall. As we know, Gaga is used to be pitted against other people. I hate this social trend of always comparing everything and I was wondering if it might not be damageable for the movie reputation. So let's try to stay ahead of the medias and compare both movies : 

- Both movies are music related and seems to take place in the concerts environnement with many scene featuring "live performances" in front of an audience. 
- Both movies are heavily star related. 
- Both movies will be backed by fans. 
- BR is more of a niche movie unlike ASIB that could attract a broader audience.
- So far, ASIB cast and media coverage scores stronger "Oscar buzz" than BR.
- BR trailers are less popular on Youtube than ASIB.
- Will BR also release a soundtrack?
- ASIB have the chance of being released first so it won't be compared immediately to BR.
- Both movies will be eligible for this year Oscars. 

So, could Bohemian Rhapsody steal ASIB thunder?
Worse, could it start a competition between both movies (Fox VS. Warner Bros.) like we see often with Marvel VS. DC superheroes movies?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VOLANTIS

Well it's a great marketing scheme for Warner to pound on the fact that Gaga's name is inspired by Queen. :vegas: 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

mister max

Are they both running in the same year tho?

If Gaga (hopefully) decides to release the soundtrack a week before the premiere if the movie, she will be eligible for Grammys 2019 but if she releases it togheter with the movie it will be for grammys 2020 (togheter with the bohemian rapsody soundtrack)

I dont know what the deadline for Oscars 2019 is tho...

Edit: Oscars' deadline is Nov 15th so it will be competing togheter at the Oscars :vegas:

Buy ARTPOP on itunes or smth?

Guest Adarsh

Both are musicals but the genres are poles apart, one is a romantic drama while the other one is a biopic. Bohemian Rhapsody will most likely only have Queen songs/covers so there won't be any competition in the original song category, plus they don't have a female lead, so Gaga is safe in that category as well.

When it comes to the box office, ASIB comes out a month before BR so i dont think there is a clash of any sorts. :party:

Lets enjoy both without comparing them :vegas:

Guest Adarsh
Just now, mister max said:

Are they both running in the same year tho?

If Gaga (hopefully) decides to release the soundtrack a week before the premiere if the movie, she will be eligible for Grammys 2019 but if she releases it togheter with the movie it will be for grammys 2020 (togheter with the bohemian rapsody soundtrack)

I dont know what the deadline for Oscars 2019 is tho...

The ASIB soundtrack will most likely come in time for the Grammy consideration. Its just one week before the movie release. They obviously want it to win this year since Grammy noms/wins=promo.

Next year will be too late and irrelevant. :vegas:

mister max
Just now, Adarsh Soni said:

The ASIB soundtrack will most likely come in time for the Grammy consideration. Its just one week before the movie release. They obviously want it to win this year since Grammy noms/wins=promo.

Next year will be too late and irrelevant. :vegas:

We all know that 

Lets hope Gaga's team knows it too :vegas:

Buy ARTPOP on itunes or smth?

DonnieDarko

Bohemian Rapsody is a major threat in everything excluding the gross at the Box Office since they are released at different dates. In everything else the Bohemian movie will be a big rival. 

S0436

No bad thing as by the time it comes out the publicity of them being rival movies will help bring in more punters for ASIB 

PlanetChromatica

How is the Queen movie a niche? They are literally one of the biggest rock bands of ALL time, the movie is going to be a success.

ASIB is only really known amongst the fanbase but the first trailer did help the movie be known amongst more GP but it seems Warner Bros are going for promo closer to release. I expect we will get heavy promo from mid september.

3 minutes ago, ArtyRoberto said:

How is the Queen movie a niche? They are literally one of the biggest rock bands of ALL time, the movie is going to be a success.

ASIB is only really known amongst the fanbase but the first trailer did help the movie be known amongst more GP but it seems Warner Bros are going for promo closer to release. I expect we will get heavy promo from mid september.

You are right, Queen is huge. But still, it's about a precise music band history, almost like a documentary. I don't see people that are not fans or that didn't grow up with the band seing this movie in theatres. I might be wrong though. 

Monsterish

A Star Is Born has a hard competition in the movie and music categories :emma:

Movie: Venom and Bohemian Rhapsody (box office hits)

Music: Kendrick Lamar, Celine Dion, Mary Poppins and I think someone else (Oscar's nominations)

:messga:

2 minutes ago, Yvi Monster said:

A Star Is Born has a hard competition in the movie and music categories :emma:

Movie: Venom and Bohemian Rhapsody (box office hits)

Music: Kendrick Lamar, Celine Dion, Mary Poppins and I think someone else (Oscar's nominations)

:messga:

I wouldn't worry to much about Celine Dion if you're talking about Ashes. I cannot see that song winning anything it's just way too caricatural, almost a parody of Celine. 

And just so the Oscar can score those ratings I'm pretty sure it's on lock that Gaga is going to be nominated so she can perform at the show. 

PlanetChromatica
12 minutes ago, _Lam said:

You are right, Queen is huge. But still, it's about a precise music band history, almost like a documentary. I don't see people that are not fans or that didn't grow up with the band seing this movie in theatres. I might be wrong though. 

Well in the UK, the movie will be huge no doubt, pretty much everyone in the UK loves Queen.

zakariah

Bohemian Rhapsody is probably gonna dominate in the European regions when it comes out cos Queen is really popular there.

Apart from both being musical drama films, I think they're pretty different though. Like, there probably won't be any new Queen songs featured in the movie, but ASIB is literally made up of new songs. My guess is that ASIB's soundtrack will do better than BR's soundtrack, but BR will definitely earn more money at the box office. 

As for the awards, it's pretty fair game, except the fact that BR had issues behind the scenes with the director and casting of Freddie Mercury.

Archived