opinion

MEGARATE: Tapestry (Carole King)

rumours

Featured Posts

rumours

Hi Everyone! Welcome To My Next Megarate 

The album chosen for this megarate is Tapestry by Carole King

1200x630bb.jpg

Already a prominent writer in American pop music prior to 1971, Carole King released what would become her most popular album Tapestry after lukewarm reception to her debut album the year prior. Lauded by critics and listeners as a benchmark for the "singer-songwriter" archetype further popularized as the 70s progressed, the album's influence is still seen today. We'll see if y'all think the album holds up in 2018, though.

The following are some stats about the album:

~ Ranks #36 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time

~ Received Four Grammy Awards - Album of the Year, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, Record of the Year ("It's Too Late"), and Song of the Year ("You've Got a Friend")

~ Remained on the Billboard 200 for 313 weeks, a record for a female artist at the time

Tracklist:

Spoiler

1. "I Feel the Earth Move"

2. "So Far Away"

3. "It's Too Late"

4. "Home Again"

5. "Beautiful"

6. "Way Over Yonder"

7. "You've Got a Friend"

8. "Where You Lead"

9. "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?"

10. "Smackwater Jack"

11. "Tapestry"

12. "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman"

In general, here are the Criteria for participating the Megarate:

1) Re-listen to album

2) Rate each track on a scale of 1-10 and your favorite an 11. Feel free to add commentary to explain your ratings if you'd like!

3) 0's are not allowed.

4) Feel free to use decimals in the values of .25, .5, or .75

5) Please don't participate if you didn't listen to the album or if you hate it without reason. Any ratings that demonstrate this will be erased from the calculations.

6) PM me your ratings (send to @Rumours1977).

If you aren't tagged below, feel free to join in! Moreover, if you know of anyone else who may be interested, feel free to tag them.

Due Date for Ratings: July 5, 2018

Date/Time for Ceremony: To Be Determined

Participants:

Here's how you can listen to the album (Spotify):

Spoiler

YouTube (if Spotify isn’t working):

Spoiler

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pop Music

Yes Yes Yes 1000% yes. One of my favorite albums from childhood. It's so good. My stepdads all-time favorite album. I will 100% participate 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

rumours
3 minutes ago, GaGaSwift said:

Yes Yes Yes 1000% yes. One of my favorite albums from childhood. It's so good. My stepdads all-time favorite album. I will 100% participate 

Glad to hear you’ll participate. :hug:

I haven’t done a truly stripped back, singer-songwriter album for a megarate since Blue by Joni Mitchell. 

rumours
2 hours ago, PunkTheFunk said:

My rate will probably be in tonight :vegas: 

Thanks for sending your rates :hug:

blackcoffee

I missed Dolly last time (sorry!), but will definitely do this one. Classic, iconic album that, like Blue, will be SO hard to rank. 

rumours
13 minutes ago, blackcoffee said:

I missed Dolly last time (sorry!), but will definitely do this one. Classic, iconic album that, like Blue, will be SO hard to rank. 

No worries. Glad to hear from you again! :kara:

I look forward to receiving your rates :)

ChicaSkas
4 hours ago, Rumours1977 said:

No worries. Glad to hear from you again! :kara:

I look forward to receiving your rates :)

With all due respect and love to miss King, it's not as good as your username :D

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

rumours
4 hours ago, ChicaSkas said:

With all due respect and love to miss King, it's not as good as your username :D

Yay a Fleetwood Mac fan! :hug:

I personally really love Tapestry. Also, we already did a Megarate for Rumours a while back. 

Would love it if you’d join in on this megarate (if it’s something you’re interested in) :kara:

calmar

It says that the spotify tracklist is not available in the USA :huh:

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

rumours
5 minutes ago, calmar said:

It says that the spotify tracklist is not available in the USA :huh:

Huh, that’s strange. I listened to it yesterday. :O

I went through the Spotify app just now (on mobile) and searched “Tapestry”. It appears to work that way. Let me know if that works for you as well. I’m not sure why the embedded link isn’t working. :huh:

I can also post a YouTube link to the album with the songs if that’d help. :)

calmar
22 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

Huh, that’s strange. I listened to it yesterday. :O

I went through the Spotify app just now (on mobile) and searched “Tapestry”. It appears to work that way. Let me know if that works for you as well. I’m not sure why the embedded link isn’t working. :huh:

I can also post a YouTube link to the album with the songs if that’d help. :)

I'm in a hotel so it's probably just a bunch of people using the wifi alongside me. It's weird for that error to come up though in that circumstance. 

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

rumours
18 hours ago, calmar said:

I'm in a hotel so it's probably just a bunch of people using the wifi alongside me. It's weird for that error to come up though in that circumstance. 

So, I finally had a chance to open it on desktop.

It gives me the same message of not being available in my country, but if I click "Play on Spotify" it plays for me.

I'm not sure if it's a glitch via Spotify or why it's saying that... Did you end up being able to play it?

Oriane

It's weird, I have this message too, even for other albums. But it works when I open the app.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

rumours
1 minute ago, Oriane said:

It's weird, I have this message too, even for other albums. But it works when I open the app.

Glad it isn't just me and @calmar experiencing this. :hug:

Does the Youtube playlist of the album in the OT work on your end?

I tried playing it in one browser, and it didn't work. I then used a different browser, and it worked fine. I'm so confused lol :huh:

Archived