Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

If Gaga continued being Gaga during Joanne?

Quark

If Gaga continued being Gaga during Joanne?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. If Gaga continued being Gaga during Joanne?

• She would have been less successful than the Joanne era
    • She would have been as successful as the Joanne era
    • She would have been more successful than the Joanne era

Featured Posts

Quartz

The thing is ARTPOP felt like a step down in terms of 'boundary-breaking' which initially disappointed me. There were still so many controversies she could have explored post-BTW. The problem is, her imperial phase ended abruptly with MTN's underperformance. 

And it's a good thing it stopped where it did. Can you imagine Gaga being more controversial than BTW? That would be a point of no return. Few people can bounce back from such negative press (Madonna is an excellent exception).

This, I think, made ARTPOP a still 'crazy' era without the heightened controversy. That's why it felt watered down and relatively safer. Joanne was an important part of reinvention from the controversy because she can't keep on pushing as a) people will get tired of her and b) there's no way to push without completely alienating the public.

So to answer your question, I think she will not be as successful if she continued a safe crazy phase like ARTPOP. She needed a different angle for the public to view her and Joanne was a perfect vessel. If executed better, Joanne could have been leagues away from ARTPOP in terms of success.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

With all the momentum she built the previous year or so with her Oscars, AHS, etc radio was hungry for something great. If she had come back with cool, edgy, hip, music with Avant garde fashion but nothing over the too or pretentious, she would have slayed. If she had gotten daft punk before the weeknd, and come out with something like I Feel It Coming, she gets a #1. It was a missed opportunity. Having said that, Joanne was great too. Just in a different way.

Saade Baena

She would brings more visuals

Everything was so Basic (except for SB, Coachella and JWT)

Bloodyjack

Unpopular opinion but I think Gaga was gaga during Joanne. Look at the tour for god's sake. Big Elizabethan gowns, outrageous outfits, flower dancers, being killed. It was like a weird psychdelic mix of grace Jones and Madonna. Look at her airport outfits and stuff during the era as well it was pure Avant Garde

Blade

I think it'd be as successful as Joanne, but it depends on how much "Gaga" she'd be. If she wore extravagant (but not too crazy) outfits, and made an album full of fresh, radio-friendly & catchy music and collaborated with some relevant people, then I guess her music would've done better worldwide.

But on the other hand, Joanne (& C2C) helped her gain back the love of the GP. That album got her critical acclaim and older people started digging her music.

So, I guess if LG5 was more "Gaga" then the outcome would've had positive & negative aspects. Just like "Joanne" brought positive and negative things.

Pietro
36 minutes ago, Bloodyjack said:

Unpopular opinion but I think Gaga was gaga during Joanne. Look at the tour for god's sake. Big Elizabethan gowns, outrageous outfits, flower dancers, being killed. It was like a weird psychdelic mix of grace Jones and Madonna. Look at her airport outfits and stuff during the era as well it was pure Avant Garde

Can you post some photos please? :) 

Bloodyjack
6 minutes ago, Pietro said:

Can you post some photos please? :) 

I'm gonna do a thread on it later

3 hours ago, corvus albus said:

I'm very critical of this album and era but in the end the album is better than you think. It seems that you're the kind of person that sees ARTPOP as the peak of Gaga and yeah i kinda agree :sweat: (but it's only my second fav tbh). Joanne is not a danceable album which is a stark contrast to every album Gaga released before which probably irritated you and a lot of people but on Joanne you can also see her best lyrical work to date. Songs like Sinners Prayer and Angel Down represent Gagas writing skills at their peak. The most important thing that Joanne did was showing that Gaga is more than the "crazy" person in a meat dress but only in the regions of the world were the album was succesful (or at least one single). In Germany for example nothing changed about Gagas image because the album had no impact. In the US the album showed to a larger audience what Gaga already tried with C2C. If C2C would've perfomed better she wouldn't have needed Joanne.

That the era seems like a failure is because of the poorly managed lead single. PI was probably the worst single to choose as the  lead single besides JAD.

We will have our Dance Queen back one day but please cut her some slack. We know she can come back with everything (except an album like The Fame pls) and would slay Joanne to death but only because of the work Joanne did for her. Just be patient.

it's not about being a dance album or not... I also STAN Lana del Rey and her music is slow and alternative, its just that joanne had no creativity in any aspect for me and the production is very outdated and the country made it even worst 

corvus albus
1 hour ago, LG6time said:

it's not about being a dance album or not... I also STAN Lana del Rey and her music is slow and alternative, its just that joanne had no creativity in any aspect for me and the production is very outdated and the country made it even worst 

I understand this. I personally never really got into Lana for the reasons you like her. But musical taste is something very subjective. I just wanted to say that we should try not to insult the music other people make. Notice i said TRY you don't have to be always nice :trollga:

Archived