Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Madonna and M.I.A. never spoke again after SB controversy

yxi

Featured Posts

lost in limbo
32 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I'm not surprised. What MIA did cast a bad light over Madonna's performance. Madonna, being as controversial as she is, has risked her career more than a few times in different ways. But now she's at an age where getting controversial could actually be the end of her career for good because ageism is alive and well. Her team obviously didn't want another Janet scenario and wanted to keep things safe. MIA choosing to give the finger (which was her decision, she didn't run it past anybody) could have had, to a lesser extent, been just as controversial and resulted in a backlash. MIA was fined $16.6 million for what she did (though claims that a "confidential agreement was reached" with no further details sounds like that exact amount likely wasn't paid out) and Madonna was lucky that she wasn't either, for technically being seen as a co-conspirator. The thing is, MIA had the cheek to say this was a sexist move from the NFL because it was "ok for me to promote being sexually exploited as a female, than to display empowerment, female empowerment, through being punk rock. That's what it boils down to, and I'm being sued for it" and even tried to say that it was the show's fault for not blurring her finger in time (how were they supposed to have lightning quick reflexes when they didn't know what you were going to do?). She knows full well that a man would get fined for the same reason. The SB is no small fry. Rules are tight. It's like, get over yourself. MIA's always come off as so up herself and entitled. Remember she slammed Gaga way back in 2010. A lot of people have forgotten that, but I haven't. You can't pretend to be punk rock when you collab with Madonna and Nicki Minaj on a generic song that you're performing at the SB. Let's be honest here, MIA, you just wanted money and exposure with this gig. I doubt you actually liked either of these women or you would have collabed with them earlier and afterwards.

Well, yeah, considering that it's the most-watched tv event in the America calendar watched by all the family. You can't just do controversial stuff and expect everyone to accept it or not care. I'm all for a bit of controversial performance, but there's a time and place for that and it's not at a family-friendly tv broadcast watched by hundreds of millions. You wouldn't start throwing around swearwords over Christmas dinner in front of your parents, grandparents and children, right? And for the record, I was surprised to find that the original Nipplegate incident only generated 540k complaints to the FCC and this was with an audience of 143.6 million. Very low, all things considered. The MIA incident only garnered 222 complaints with an audience of 114 million. So, as you can see, the actual viewers aren't as outraged as the media would have you believe. The media's reaction tend to make you think more people were offended than there actually were.

Honestly, this reasoning is so predictable and far off the mark. White people are called out for doing inappropriate things on tv all the time. Don't know how it is in America but on British tv, presenters and voiceovers always apologise for any swearwords, obscene gestures or anything remotely inappropriate that a reality tv judge, contestant, etc. say/do. They do this live if they can manage it. And bear in mind, this can be really mild stuff, they don't have to say the f word for this to happen. And most of the time, this happens to white people. Tv is big business and family shows run a tight ship in regards to inappropriate content. Everyone's head is on the chopping block with this stuff. There's a big difference between an actual accident like say, a female's skirt sliding down unexpectantly vs. a bra top forcibly being removed almost like a planned publicity stunt. There's also a big difference between someone accidentially putting the wrong finger in the air vs. someone purposely giving the finger. These specific instances were why these women got targeted. Being white wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference. Hello, if any woman makes the wrong move, her entire career can be over, it isn't limited to women of colour.

There you go dismissing women of color's problems, like usual. We know your racist agenda by now.

this is the state of grace, this is the worthwhile fight

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lost in limbo
2 minutes ago, Frankenstein said:

Madonna is so lame for inviting a young and progressive artist to get street and urban cred and then getting upset because she upset the uptight old people at Superbowl.

Especially after all the **** she's pulled and continues to pull.

A hypocrite. It's sad what she's become. 

lmao u do know that it was Madge's manager who was rude to M.I.A, right?

It's not like they were gonna talk much anyways. They wrote two (horrible) songs together and that's it. And then when controversy sparks, it's gonna get awkward.

Don't you guys feel a lil' tired of getting excuses to attack Madge? 

4 minutes ago, Frankenstein said:

Madonna is so lame for inviting a young and progressive artist to get street and urban cred and then getting upset because she upset the uptight old people at Superbowl.

Especially after all the **** she's pulled and continues to pull.

A hypocrite. It's sad what she's become. 

You are taking the opportunity to attack Madonna when in fact hasn't said or done anything against M.I.A. The comments are from her manager, as you can read in the original post.

Adampervez

M.I.A. is one of the greatest artists of our generation. With the release of Matangi and AIM, for me personally, shes replaced gaga as my favourite artist. Furthermore, her activism against racism and xenophobia as well as bringing light to stuggles faced by south Asians since the beginning of her career is so inspiring to me. Its so rare for me to have one of my own people in the mainstream who is clearly so proud of her culture. The fact that she was almost sued for 16 million dollars for putting her middle finger up makes no sense to me: but of course the minute a female POC makes a mistake the entire industry will try to tear her down. The NFL were able to censor the middle finger, especially because theres a few seconds delay in the livestream for these sorts of events but they did it too slowly. At the end of the day, M.I.A. won: Bad Girls garnered wayyyy more attention than gimme all your luvin eventhough the videos were released the exact same day, Matangi got rave reviews and during the promotional tour of her new film she stated that the NFL ended up dropping all the charges. 

Pacify Him
8 hours ago, symphonia said:

M.I.A.: I was like ‘the drunk person at the wedding who crashed the wedding’

A homage to Black Mirror’s Nosedive episode, I see :applause: 

life imitates art :applause: 

I’m getting on your nerves

Adampervez
5 hours ago, StarlightSeiya said:

Sucks that Madonna threw her under the Bus. MIA has been slacking since then(music wise). Though I'm glad they came together because the created a song thats in my top 10 of all time.

A WORK OF ART

M.I.A..... slacking?? Not when Matangi and AIM exist.

StrawberryBlond
15 minutes ago, HausOfAmericano said:

There you go dismissing women of color's problems, like usual. We know your racist agenda by now.

I am not dismissing their problems. I am pointing out that some of their problems are not as racially specific as they claim to be. I have a problem with people putting a unique claim on a struggle that is, in actuality, an extremely general experience across all groups. I actually think people such as yourself have more anger for the idea that the struggle is not unique as opposed to reserving the most anger for the actual struggle itself. And have we ever actually spoken? Everything you've heard about my "racist agenda" is untrue and unfounded. You'd know that if you actually got to know me.

lost in limbo
1 minute ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I am not dismissing their problems. I am pointing out that some of their problems are not as racially specific as they claim to be. I have a problem with people putting a unique claim on a struggle that is, in actuality, an extremely general experience across all groups. I actually think people such as yourself have more anger for the idea that the struggle is not unique as opposed to reserving the most anger for the actual struggle itself. And have we ever actually spoken? Everything you've heard about my "racist agenda" is untrue and unfounded. You'd know that if you actually got to know me.

yeah sure girl, sure

i would actually believe you if i didn't know your racist agenda. Don't try to convince me they're lies, you're just a small little racist. Sorry to break it down to you. 

StrawberryBlond
1 minute ago, HausOfAmericano said:

yeah sure girl, sure

i would actually believe you if i didn't know your racist agenda. Don't try to convince me they're lies, you're just a small little racist. Sorry to break it down to you. 

Yes, sure.

You shouldn't listen to the false rumours spread about me. It makes you look really foolish to the actual people who know me. Perhaps you'd believe me if you saw all the times I have actually defended people of colour. I was into all the same racial agenda your average SJW is into today (called out stereotypes, lack of representation, blackface, all that stuff) with the only difference being that I didn't blame all white people for the struggles of people of colour and didn't have white guilt for something I didn't do. When the idea of racial equality took an unfair turn for the worse (claiming unique struggle for general experiences, asking for over-representation, demanding awards, supporting black supremacy), I suddenly became a lot more critical of the intentions of those who I once aligned myself to. I want racial equality just as much as you do, I just want it to be true equality, as in, you can freely criticise a person of colour for something bad they said/did without being called a racist in the same way that you can do the same for a white person without anyone batting an eyelid. No one ever even called me a racist until about 2016 when people became unreasonable with claims of racism. I believe that no one is above criticism (including me), regardless of their race. Unless you have a different idea of equality?

lost in limbo
2 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Yes, sure.

You shouldn't listen to the false rumours spread about me. It makes you look really foolish to the actual people who know me. Perhaps you'd believe me if you saw all the times I have actually defended people of colour. I was into all the same racial agenda your average SJW is into today (called out stereotypes, lack of representation, blackface, all that stuff) with the only difference being that I didn't blame all white people for the struggles of people of colour and didn't have white guilt for something I didn't do. When the idea of racial equality took an unfair turn for the worse (claiming unique struggle for general experiences, asking for over-representation, demanding awards, supporting black supremacy), I suddenly became a lot more critical of the intentions of those who I once aligned myself to. I want racial equality just as much as you do, I just want it to be true equality, as in, you can freely criticise a person of colour for something bad they said/did without being called a racist in the same way that you can do the same for a white person without anyone batting an eyelid. No one ever even called me a racist until about 2016 when people became unreasonable with claims of racism. I believe that no one is above criticism (including me), regardless of their race. Unless you have a different idea of equality?

are you done or you gonna keep shiting through text?

that wall of text you just sent me has no value to me. you're just whining about how you're such a great ally of people of color, that you're a victim and that's about it.

elijahfan
8 hours ago, ryanripley said:

that was really rude of her manager imo, they could have just said "we didn't like that you did that"

no need to insult her

Right, especially from someone representing Madonna..... :laughga: A bit rich to be calling people out for being problematic onstage

StrawberryBlond
2 minutes ago, HausOfAmericano said:

are you done or you gonna keep shiting through text?

that wall of text you just sent me has no value to me. you're just whining about how you're such a great ally of people of color, that you're a victim and that's about it.

Wow, it's always when I pull out the best arguments that my detractors always bail. Because they know they're wrong and anxiously backtrack under the pretense of taking the high road as admitting defeat is too embarassing. You weren't even accurate. I said nothing about being a victim. Pray tell, what would have value to you? What do I have to do to prove to you that I'm not racist? No one who accuse me racism ever answers this question. Because they have their minds made up and nothing's ever good enough for them.

lost in limbo
Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

Wow, it's always when I pull out the best arguments that my detractors always bail. Because they know they're wrong and anxiously backtrack under the pretense of taking the high road as admitting defeat is too embarassing. You weren't even accurate. I said nothing about being a victim. Pray tell, what would have value to you? What do I have to do to prove to you that I'm not racist? No one who accuse me racism ever answers this question. Because they have their minds made up and nothing's ever good enough for them.

You're so melodramatic, omg. Stop using expensive words just to make you feel smarter.

You didn't say it directly, but the tone of your text was "please believe me, i'm a victim". 

Mainly bc racism isn't cancelled by ONE action, it's a group of actions that can be forgiven by not doing things like dismissing black women's problems. 

Evan Peters

god, ya'll can't go one thread without turning it into a racial argument 

emma roberts is an abuser

What confuses me is that after Nipplegate, they added a couple seconds of delay on live events to prevent this exact thing from happening, so while she isn't in the right, why didn't they cut away real quick? 

He/They

Archived