Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

A Noticable Change in Vocal Style

Glamourpuss

Featured Posts

Glamourpuss

This is not a thread to trash Gaga because I adore her. But this is something I have been wondering for a while. 

Listen to Gaga's vocals in the beginning of this?

Isn't it perfection?

Listen to this from before she was famous. Her voice hasn't matured to the style that we know now but doesn't she sound amazing?

Why did she change to Dope vocals and the sort of shouty style she uses now? I have always wondered why has she not stuck with what she's best at?

I use this video as an example. I know many fans love this but please use a critical mind. 

I remember reading that she now has Christina Aguilera's vocal coach and in this particular video I hear her singing with the same bad habits as Christina.

Don't get me wrong I think she's brilliant and I love all her performances. But there's something about the first two that's so beautiful. She doesn't need to have that "raw" not so perfect sort of signing style when she's absolutely capable of even better.  

Just to add this isn't a threat to trash Gaga.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glamourpuss

It's hardly a meltdown. It was more like an out loud wondering. Don't make drama where there isn't any. 

djBuffoon

I think "Dancin in Circles" proved that she can still tap into the whispy, girlish, slightly nasal vocals we fell in love with. But I think her voice has only gotten more dimension over the years. She's worked on her craft and can now do practically any style of music that she wants. I'll take that any day of the week. 

And just to be clear, she's been coached by the same person since before she became famous: Don Lawrence. 

keith ink

I know you are not trying to trash her on this thread but saying her voice could potentially be much better than what it is now is just plain rude. Its a matter of taste sis, clearly you like her voice pre-ARTPOP. Her voice has evolved so much that she lost those thin airy vocals and has become that thick and rich soaring voice. her vibrato has become so much clearer in years. She's hitting higher notes (papparazzi/applause) which she hasnt done before. Her breath control and stamina are out of this world, i bet you cant tell me a single pop star who can match her pipes.

her technique is flawless

/thread

PartySick
1 minute ago, djBuffoon said:

I think "Dancin in Circles" proved that she can still tap into the whispy, girlish, slightly nasal vocals we fell in love with. But I think her voice has only gotten more dimension over the years. She's worked on her craft and can now do practically any style of music that she wants. I'll take that any day of the week. 

This^

Throughout her time training her voice in 2015/2016, she did a total overhaul on her "normal" singing voice to prepare for the Oscars, the Superbowl, and a vocal heavy era in Joanne. She can still nail the Pre-Fame/Fame era notes just fine (and you can hear that whenever she performs LoveGame at the JWT) but I think she prefers the more theatrical and dramatic technique used in songs like Dope and TIHTY.

I like it better too :flutter: it's more distinguished than most of the singers' voices out there :flutter:

🖤

TropicOfCANCER

post ARTPOP, here's gaga slaying a delicate fluttering pristine crystal clear vocal. (also one of her most underrated vocal performances ever)

datlastfam

No hate but I like this BR performance more :giveup:

imo she sounds better than that Ellen's performance, remember when people said that she cant sing back then ? But when she shows her vocal powers during Oscar perfomance, the GP said otherwise. So I prefer her current voice :flutter: 

I completely understand what you mean and yes I do enjoy her earlier vocals more. I do still love her voice now, but her earlier voice was more soft. I feel like after she worked with that weird lady doing naked yoga dances, her voice changed....but that's just my opinion lol. I guess maybe she's moved on from angelica Ga to Gaga...the elusive chanteuse 

Neight Shayde

I cannot believe her voice evolved like it did today. Truly one of the most powerful voices today.

Reality

Well, there is an obvious change in her vocal style, but I think it's natural. Peoples' voices and styles just change over time. Look at Michael Jackson for example. His vocal style and technique has changed considerably. Of course, his career has spanned a longer time than Gaga's, but the concept still applies. 

Personally, I think the only "bad habit" she may have is smoking—as we've seen in 5F2 that she still does smoke (however, things could have changed now). I actually think her voice has gotten better over the years. She's added a lot more character, and even though she does utilize her "Dope" vocals more often (a style that I love hearing her sing in), with songs like DIC, and even some songs on C2C, it shows that she can still have a very light, airy quality if she wants to. [Relatively] more recently, with The Cure, she's also shown that she's, again, still able to keep that more lighthearted vocal quality. 

🖤👹

PartySick
1 minute ago, M Monstre said:

Look at Michael Jackson for example. His vocal style and technique has changed considerably. Of course, his career has spanned a longer time than Gaga's, but the concept still applies. 

From the age of 5 to 50, things tend to change :applause:

He hit his vocal peak in the late 80's, early 90's imo. I don't think Gaga will let herself have a peak. She'll constantly be shifting, changing, and improving :flutter:

🖤

She’s had the same vocal coach the whole time, no? I think she just switched up to a more technical style. Maybe it’s better for her vocal health? My guess is that it just showcases her power more- it’s much more broad.

3 points in and ready for more

Archived