Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

"OMG" Was Supposed to Be The Hit, Not "Havana"

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

doppelganger

"Cabello’s Spotify following has grown from around 500,000 monthly listeners in May 2017 (the month she released her first single “Crying in the Club”) to 5.2 million daily listeners at press time. Her success, which has leant heavily on these double releases, holds valuable lessons for a mainstream pop world that still tends to center album-marketing strategies around one-off “impact dates” -- rather than the typical urban-music approach of feeding a continuous stream of content into the marketplace to maximize visibility over time."

Gaga's streaming issues explained here. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PI Floppedt

Interesting. There's this thing we learn in Sociology that's called the Producer-Distributor-Consumer model and I can't think of a more applicable example than this. Havana came through as the underdog though I'm so glad. Quavo lost, talent won!

tumblr_mvemhfJEil1qlycwjo1_r1_400.gif

I don't actually hate PI

RAMROD
39 minutes ago, Arturo said:

A double A side single is not the equivalent of releasing 2 singles today and seeing which one takes off. For a double A side single both songs are being purchased while using the dual release one single is usually left in the dust.

It is just different method of selling it, as physical copies is not popular anymore these days,  or even happy to buy music at all, it is however still double a side. Sometimes both of them took off, sometimes just one of them more popular and favored by majority people (i.e: Come Together over Something) 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Avenues

So I guess this proves music listening, music making and music business are only vaguely related :oprah:

Edit : this is confusing :laughga:

Ouch, My back hurts.

ordinarynam1310
40 minutes ago, TEANUS said:

This is why I’m always down for Gaga to do a double single situation. 

Now that I think about it, they kinda did it with A-YO and Million Reasons and it turned out pretty well as we know. A-YO got the chainsmokers talk, SNL, James Corden, and a Making Joanne episode, it was clearly meant to be the second single.

But after the album release, Carpool Karaoke, and SNL it was clearly the better choice after it went #1 what, 2/3 times?

Back in 2013 both Venus and DWUW can be single at the same time with a GUY type of video and it will smash everywhere 

The Child

I remember listening to both and thinking they were shitty songs :selena:

I was mad Crying In The Club didn’t smash :interestinga:

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

The Child
1 minute ago, ordinarynam1310 said:

Back in 2013 both Venus and DWUW can be single at the same time with a GUY type of video and it will smash everywhere 

Honestly she should have done that, the fan base loved Venus and the GP loved DWUW so she should have made a long video including those two songs to please everyone.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

DiscoHeaven23
1 minute ago, CrazyMonster said:

I was mad Crying In The Club didn’t smash :interestinga:

One of my top 5 fav songs in 2017 :tony:

TEANUS
5 minutes ago, ordinarynam1310 said:

Ehhhh I don’t know about that one. DWUW was clearly the better choice for the second single. A-YO and Million Reasons was a situation where the fans and even the label were unknown as which would do better. After DWUW was released it was clear it was good as the second single. Even after it’s tumble after being released it only slipped down to the 50s (I think), unlike most promo singles that fall off the charts completely.

If they had stuck with Venus we could’ve ended up with a Dark Horse/ Unconditionally situation except Venus most likely would’ve done worse than Unconditionally. People were tired of the “weird” avant-grade Gaga at that point, they didn’t want “weird”, they wanted “sexy” (DWUW) or “toned-down” (Joanne)

Disclaimer / Venus is a BANGER, just not prime single material. I’m All for it having a video, and if it happened to take off then hey, push it as a single

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

The Child
Just now, DiscoHeaven23 said:

One of my top 5 fav songs in 2017 :tony:

I’m going to listen to the album and if I Have Questions & Crying In The Club fit somewhere I’m definitely adding them to the album.

DiscoHeaven23
2 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

I’m going to listen to the album and if I Have Questions & Crying In The Club fit somewhere I’m definitely adding them to the album.

Crying in the Club fits at the end half

The songs there are dancey

The first half of the album has a Caribbean feel to it. 

StrawberryBlond

I knew this was the case from the beginning. Putting out 2 new songs as official audio at once wasn't so that the public could choose which one they preferred to be the next single. OMG was clearly the one meant to be the hit. Providing an extra song was just a bonus feature, like releasing an official single and promo single simultaneously. I knew as soon as I heard both songs that OMG was "chosen one." It was hip hop influenced, super current and featured Quavo, who was getting hits as a feature left right and centre. Problem was, I hated OMG. Then I heard Havana was like, wow, this song should be the next single. Problem is, even with a rap feature, the sound is hardly what the public is listening to right now, minus Despacito, which was obviously a fluke. I thought it would be another case of the best song losing out to the generic one. But, unbelievably, Havana's views and likes rose and rose like wildfire and OMG's wasn't progressing in the same way. Before we knew it, it was approaching 1 million likes and OMG was a long way off. I wondered, could it happen? Could the label make the switch. And they did. It just goes to prove that sometimes, to quote Gaga, record labels most of the time, don't know what the f**k they're doing. They assume they know what the public want but then it only results in a flop, so what's going on? Sometimes, to quote one of Simon Cowell's favourite phrases: "I'm going to let the public decide." I think he needs to take his own advice more. The funny thing is, he was saying throughout X Factor that Latin music is what the public want now. Even he didn't see that coming, now he's acting like the expert despite having to adapt! I hardly think Latin music as a whole is having a moment but that's not really the point. The public just liked a song and were allowed to get their wish. If we do more of these side-by-side new audio releases, maybe more hits could actually be generated.

The public getting Havana to be such a hit (to the point where it actually overshadowed Taylor Swift's second single mere weeks away from her album release) is really something. At times like these, it rekindles my faith that they can like good stuff.

Archived