💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

"We Need Women on the charts"

Quark

Featured Posts

MonsterPaws
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

The Grammy comment I agree, but I feel like many male acts don’t deserve the chart positions they get on the charts

They are charting higher than females that have the same quality of music.

For example, why did rockstar block havana from number 1

Because rockstar is hip hop and rap, and right now they--especially rap--are the dominating genres right now.

Pop, which I would argue was mostly female-dominated (think Gaga, Katy, Beyoncé and Rihanna arguably, Madonna etc. all arefemale and had MASSIVE successes as leaders of pop) and has clearly taking the backseat to rap. That could explain Camila (along with other pop artists')'s inability to really "breakthrough" the mainstream and by mainstream I mean current dominating music. I remember an article (Rolling Stone??) that claimed rap to be the new rock, and I 100000% agree. And I'm completely okay with that tbh. 

Havana is still a massive success though so I don't get the "we need women on the charts" argument either. Women have always been on the charts (I listen to mostly-female artists though so I don't notice nor care much).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It goes in cycles.  There was a time when female artists dominated the charts, and it will happen again. 

At the end of the day, it's Kesha's music that will decide if she wins a Grammy.  And Praying had longevity because people liked the song.

Gaga had so many hard times such as broken hip, rape, fibro, and depression, but her success is due to her music, because in the end, people don't care very much about problems.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Hoeanne

Something that always gets lost in this conversation the fact that, when the person who performs a song is a woman, she is almost certainly the only woman who's making money off that song. All of the producers, writers, engineers and managers are almost always men. So even when the charts are dominated by female pop stars, the men (specifically those who manage and produce them) still probably end up making most of the money. So when even the pop stars singing the hits are men, that means that women are being almost completely shut out of the industry at the moment.

Lord Temptation

The charts right now are a mess.

Record labels responded to the threat of dwindling revenues due to the rise of illegal downloading (which began in the early 2000s with sites like Napster and Limewire) with a new service: streaming.

So much so that by 2013, the value of streaming exceeded all other formats.

Don’t you get it? Record labels, once struggling, are now making more money from selling advertising than by selling the actual music. Hence the reason why most new music sucks right now. Labels only release something if it has “marketability”. 

And right now masculinity is at an all time low. Hence dude music. 

Born To Slay

1. Kesha's album deserves a Grammy because it was ****ing awesome. She's doesn't need any affirmative action. 

2. We need women on the charts, not just because they're women but, because the pop girls make much better music then these basic, boring guys that pop music seems to like these days.

15 minutes ago, Born To Slay said:

1. Kesha's album deserves a Grammy because it was ****ing awesome. She's doesn't need any affirmative action. 

2. We need women on the charts, not just because they're women but, because the pop girls make much better music then these basic, boring guys that pop music seems to like these days.

1. It looks like you did not read my OP clearly

2. What you said is subjective. Both women and men are capable of making interesting music and what is interesting or boring depends on who is listening. 

"If males are dominating, it simply means that they are appealing to more people right now. "

Depends tbh. Basically radios are deciding a big part of the hit songs and most of the songs chosen are from males. Out of 50 songs on pop radio's top 50, more than half of the songs are from male artists.

Florian
1 hour ago, Hoeanne said:

Something that always gets lost in this conversation the fact that, when the person who performs a song is a woman, she is almost certainly the only woman who's making money off that song. All of the producers, writers, engineers and managers are almost always men. So even when the charts are dominated by female pop stars, the men (specifically those who manage and produce them) still probably end up making most of the money. So when even the pop stars singing the hits are men, that means that women are being almost completely shut out of the industry at the moment.

That's BS.

Of course there are a lot of men behind a song. Why? Because it's mostly technical jobs and people doing studies in this kind of field are mainly male.

And at the end of the day, I don't remember any of Gaga's producers or managers being in Forbes list.

25 minutes ago, OBEY said:

"If males are dominating, it simply means that they are appealing to more people right now. "

Depends tbh. Basically radios are deciding a big part of the hit songs and most of the songs chosen are from males. Out of 50 songs on pop radio's top 50, more than half of the songs are from male artists.

There was a point were music by females was dominating on radios too. Also, the fact that about half of the songs on Top 50 radio are by men is not saying much. This numbers always fluctuate. There is always bound to be an inequality of songs by males and females on the top 50. Finally even though radio does influence hit songs, streaming hits and popularity of an artist also influences radio airplay choices. 

Born To Slay
8 hours ago, Quark said:

1. It looks like you did not read my OP clearly

2. What you said is subjective. Both women and men are capable of making interesting music and what is interesting or boring depends on who is listening. 

1. I did, just wanted to stress the point. Especially because u only called it good in the op despite it getting "universal acclaim" from critics. 

2. Yeah whatever, we can pretend it's just an opinion that these basic male acts have anything on their female peers that actually try

10 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

They are charting higher than females that have the same quality of music.

For example, why did rockstar block havana from number 1

You are not gonna believe this...but there are people that listen to rockstar more and they like it more than havana :duck:

Can you believe it? :ladyhaha:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

8 hours ago, Born To Slay said:

Well the GP and the charts clearly doesn't agree with it :duck:

9 hours ago, Sizzily said:

I mean, this is a mostly gay website and most gays really like female artists so its understandable that they would be so biased. But its annoying.

Exactly this!!! :trollga:

Just because you like certain things doesn't mean the things you don't like are BS...people can have their own taste in music and if a song is at the top it's because GP likes it, so I don't mind the charts being full with men. It's like I'm getting mad at the world because what I like it's not popular. AND THAT IS STUPID :bye:

Born To Slay
3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well the GP and the charts clearly doesn't agree with it :duck:

They're wrong and basic 

Archived