Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Lana being sued by Radiohead

youandi

Featured Posts

FFXSoul91
1 hour ago, Cssomeone said:

I didn't insult her, I just said the truth :ladyhaha: 

You are critizing my comment (or rather joke) about age, by using it yourself. That's clever. Dear, it doesn't matter if the song is about Jesus, about trash, mental illness, whatsoever, IF SHE STOLE, SHE HAS TO PAY. Let just see how the case goes 😉

Oh, I wasn't criticizing your age comment at all, by "pretentious generalization," I meant your suggestion that all of Lana's songs are meaningless trash (which most would certainly call an insult). It's fine if you don't like her, but if all you're going off of to judge her is what is said about her in pop culture, that's unfortunate.

My one question here is, if Radiohead wins this suit, do The Hollies get 40% of their profits? :laughga:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cssomeone
7 minutes ago, FFXSoul91 said:

My one question here is, if Radiohead wins this suit, do The Hollies get 40% of their profits? :laughga:

They have asked for 100% so they can pay The Hollies if they demand

wise-black-guy.jpg

ItsTommyBitch
3 hours ago, Killa said:

Well the song is ridiculariously similar, the hell it wasn't inspired. I kinda understand, if there wasn't creep as a base this song wouldnt exist

Not necessarily... this assumes that Creep was the musical inspiration for the song, which we can not say based on what we know. 

Lana has given credits to even soundtracks that she and her team have thought have similar melodies, chord progressions, intervallic leaps, etc. in the past. There's no reason for her to suddenly not credit this inspiration if it was one :shrug: It's not like its even a single or promoted track. It's the last track on the album, and it was actually reworked from its original state to what it is now. 

The pre-chorus melody is similar. Not identical. The chord progression isn't part of the discussion legally, as that would preclude much of pop music. Chord progressions are in essence much more limited than melodies - even more so in pop music. 

That is to say, you can find hundreds and hundreds of hits throughout time that use the same chord progressions. Eventually you will even find the same chord progression in the same key, and then with a similar melody as well. This is why I do not think that few instances of similarity (not identicalness, as the melodies are not identical) should constitute any sort of copyright infringement. The song is at times musically similar but also mostly quite different from Creep.

The verses use similar notes and contour but not exactly and there are noticeable differences. This isn't as "easy to avoid" as you might imagine giving that the chord progression used puts the songs firmly in one key and there is little chromaticism to be found. (There is actually some in Creep)

The choruses are totally different as well, along with the lyrics, the instrumentation, "mood or vibe" and the endings. The parts of the songs that are admittedly similar (chord progression, similar overall melody in the verse-pre-chorus) do not constitute a significant part of the song in my mind. That's why I see 40% as more than generous. At most, its 1 minute, 1 min 30 of an almost 6 minute song. The majority of the song would be intact without any sort of "base" you are assuming from Creep.

The last case I can remember that involved a win from the person suing for infringement had over 15 objective similarities/identicalities. 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

4 hours ago, THEORACLE64 said:

It’s so ridiculous, especially when they COPIED The Hollies and got successfully sued for it - it just seems like bullying on their behalf, especially as it’s been going on for months behind the scenes now. They have a similar melody for one small section of the song, which is NOTHING. Radiohead’s team are sounding morinic asking for 100% tbh. If Lana was offering then 40% then it’s 40% that’s would have gone straight to The Hollies anyway (as that’s what Radiohead owe them). Whenever Lana’s sampled she’s always credited the right people, so it’s moronic to think she’d do otherwise now. 

3 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

But Radiohead was sued for "Creep" and lost that lawsuit a long ass time ago. Don't they understand how shitty it can be to be accused of something :air: 

The chord progression is truly not something they came up with at all, its not even that uncommon, like jesus...

This is a mess and a half and they should be ashamed for asking for 100% :smh: 

I know!!! It's like a dumb and douche move from them. They seriously need a reminder that their song is a plagio di plagio :bye:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

PopBitch
5 hours ago, FFXSoul91 said:

Well, that's a pretentious generalization if I've ever heard one. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were under 21 as well.

For the record, Get Free is very deep song with a beautiful message about overcoming mental illness. And while I have a lot of respect for Radiohead's musical achievements and Creep is iconic, Get Free is the better of the two songs.

Musical intergrity typically doesn't include trying to obtain 100% of the credit when you don't deserve it.

I definitely hear Creep in the song, but I don't get this over-the-top asking for 100 percent by Radiohead. That's crazy talk, and it seems to be more about making a point.  Maybe the point is they are mad she doesn't admit to using the song for inspiration and had to go after her, but only  then offers the percentage.  .I think Lana's offer was fair. 

Kanye West practically took Tears for Fears' whole song Memories Fade to make Coldest Winter and never went to them to use the song. They had to go after him for using it.  But there was no fight and no asking for 100 percent, came to an agreement and songwriting credit, and Coldest Winter was a rip-off of Memories Fade, changing lyrics, but not all, and using the music of the song as far as the whole melody.

But saying Lana's song is better?  Huh?  I really like her song, but Creep is magnificent, brilliant.

Perfume

Lana’s pretty much just confirmed at her show tonight that if Radiohead wins the case, then Get Free will have to be removed from streaming platforms since her or her team do not have the right to distribute it anymore. 

an angel held me like a child

16 minutes ago, One Sun said:

Lana’s pretty much just confirmed at her show tonight that if Radiohead wins the case, then Get Free will have to be removed from streaming platforms since her or her team do not have the right to distribute it anymore. 

And it won’t be on any more physical copies of the album produced there after. That means my vinyl copy with Get Free on it would become somewhat rare and i could possibly sell it for a lot of money to another Lana fan :poot:

FFXSoul91
1 hour ago, One Sun said:

That's absolute crap. The song ties the album together and is by far the best close she's ever had.

So basically if she loses, she could never perform or sell the song again, but Radiohead theoretically could? :bye:

Maybe after being sued for something like this artists just become vindictive? If so, Halsey and Taylor better glue on their wigs, because Lana is coming for New Americana and Wildest Dreams. :staymad:

Wolf Boy
8 hours ago, Cssomeone said:

First: Lana's fans (and some people on this cult site :trollga:) reactions show why I hate anyone under 21.

Second: It doesn't matter if it is a well-known song or a B-side, if it's a rip off, she should be sued.

Third: If you really are a Radiohead fan (like some people here love bragging about), you should know that they respect and preserve art. They don't make music to get money and top charts, they have a message to deliver. They don't write songs about 'wanting to die', 'beautiful dresses' and 'daddy issues'. 

Erm, you realize Radiohead got sued and lost their case for ripping Creep off an another artist right?

loathereality
11 hours ago, Cssomeone said:

First: Lana's fans (and some people on this cult site :trollga:) reactions show why I hate anyone under 21.

Second: It doesn't matter if it is a well-known song or a B-side, if it's a rip off, she should be sued.

Third: If you really are a Radiohead fan (like some people here love bragging about), you should know that they respect and preserve art. They don't make music to get money and top charts, they have a message to deliver. They don't write songs about 'wanting to die', 'beautiful dresses' and 'daddy issues'. 

this is just sad

loathereality
11 hours ago, Cssomeone said:

For the same reason I stated: They respect and preserve art. They are sending a message here. She (supposedly) stole their art. Do you really think (as I am quite sure you don't know enough about them) that they would simply say, "Ok, give us some money and get away with it"? 

And your last sentence just shows how unreasonable you are. Can't you have a discussion without relying on offensive slur?

you were very offensive

talking about mental issues ( supposedly “dadd issues” is very brave yet you are degrading that person 

stop stigmatising...

loathereality
10 hours ago, LukeIsGaga said:

They said themselves that they don't even like Creep so I don't know why they are so bothered :awkney: They are similar but they definitely shouldn't be asking for 100%, 40 was quite generous honestly :triggered:

cuz it is their only hit and their only money maker lol

loathereality
7 hours ago, Cssomeone said:

They have asked for 100% so they can pay The Hollies if they demand

wise-black-guy.jpg

the hollies song was released over 28 years ago so they lose the copyright of it

they cannot demand

that song now becomes anonymous

Archived