opinion

LG6 Will Decide The Rest of Gaga's Career

ApplauseftAdele

Featured Posts

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rivingtonxtrash

yall are just wasting so much energy worrying about wether or not the GP get to appreciate Gaga. I mean? who cares? They have ed sharan, shan mendez and whatever, Gaga is for us.

I mean, no one really knows for sure, but I can understand what you mean. ARTPOP regardless of what fans think about it, was her public image decline (although I enjoyed all the fashion and craziness).

Cheek To Cheek was a great course correction, and I think Joanne was a further extension of it. You had two album eras where she literally did the opposite of everything that people gave her **** about during ARTPOP. 

I see nothing wrong with that. Now, I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but it does seem like they are trying often to hammer in that she is more than the “chick in the meat dress” and that she can actually sing, and I think sold out stadiums full of house wives in pink cowboy hats prove that the GP knows by now. I do I think it’s safe to say that her original success was largely and for the most part built upon a certain style of music and being a fashion icon, and there’s surely a lot of people who’d like to see her return to that. 

I will be a fan of hers regardless of what she does, but I can understand why the next album may seem like a make it or break it for a lot of fans. I don’t think that will make or break her career though. I just hope she continues to enjoy making music and staying true to who she is  

On 12/4/2017 at 4:33 AM, Stef said:

People said the same for LG5

they also said the same for ARTPOP after Born This Way’s predominantly front-loaded success 

im over predicting the outcome of Gaga’s career based on album and single units tbh 

It's true. I remember thinking similar thoughts in the lead up to ARTPOP. On the other hand, Born This Way did end up with 4 total top ten hits. In hindsight, it was a really successful album. But at the time, it felt like it was mostly just a passion project whose success was fueled primarily by Gaga's stratospheric status going in. Although the Edge of Glory came close, Gaga was never able to blast away the competition with a clear #1 hit. Then "Applause" didn't debut at #1, and the ARTPOP era just got crazy messy. Then Gaga legitimately just retired from being Gaga. The only question is whether she is now ready to come out of retirement, and whether she will be able to create a product that will allow her to do so. 

The Joanne era has been really weird. Perfect Illusion was clearly intended to cut through the noise and reestablish Gaga's pop star credentials (never mind that it ended up falling short). Its driving beat, short length, etc. definitely caught attention early on from critics who noted that it was kindof edgy and different from current radio fare. It ultimately fell flat because it was underproduced and was thus kindof sonically grating on people's ears in a way that they couldn't quite put a finger to. Otherwise, it might have worked.

But Joanne itself is basically a folk/country album, with a few splashes of pop or other genres. It is basically nothing like Perfect Illusion. Anyways, I hope that Joanne really was something that Gaga wanted to do and that she really did enjoy doing it, because the era sure didn't last long & certainly didn't back up Perfect Illusion in Gaga's apparent attempt at reestablishing herself. 

9 hours ago, Doot said:

I mean, no one really knows for sure, but I can understand what you mean. ARTPOP regardless of what fans think about it, was her public image decline (although I enjoyed all the fashion and craziness).

Cheek To Cheek was a great course correction, and I think Joanne was a further extension of it. You had two album eras where she literally did the opposite of everything that people gave her **** about during ARTPOP. 

I see nothing wrong with that. Now, I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but it does seem like they are trying often to hammer in that she is more than the “chick in the meat dress” and that she can actually sing, and I think sold out stadiums full of house wives in pink cowboy hats prove that the GP knows by now. I do I think it’s safe to say that her original success was largely and for the most part built upon a certain style of music and being a fashion icon, and there’s surely a lot of people who’d like to see her return to that. 

I will be a fan of hers regardless of what she does, but I can understand why the next album may seem like a make it or break it for a lot of fans. I don’t think that will make or break her career though. I just hope she continues to enjoy making music and staying true to who she is  

Make and break her career as a stadium-touring artist with a massive salary? No. Make or break her career on US pop radio? Yes, it very well could be make it or break it. 

On 12/7/2017 at 2:19 AM, Wigless said:

I agree, but I have no hope. She doesn't wanna do promo anymore. No major artist does, and it's annoying. Idk why Gaga isn't at Rihanna's Level of insta Smash, but she just isn't, and needs to work smarter. 

Gaga isn't at Rihanna's level of insta-smash because Rihanna just makes a consistent pop radio-friendly product which is always sexy and young, and which also manages to drag in urban/R&B/rhythmic radio (because she's not white & because she frequently collaborates with artists in those genres). Gaga used to try really really hard to be #1 at everything all the time, which meant creating the next new amazing thing, which she couldn't always do. Then she took a break from it all. Maybe it was partly to change her image. Maybe that change will be successful. But the simple truth is that at this point, the GP & cautious radio programmers are no longer willing to assume that something by Gaga is going to be something that they are going to want to listen to over and over again. 

MelbHawker

That analogy of her career and it's past/future is so simple minded though. I don't think Joanne underwhelmed at all - it revealed a different, unseen side to her person, persona and musicality - and one that has for the most part, been embraced by not only her existing fandom but by a wider range of music listeners. Critics seem to agree as well (ahem, Grammys). She's manipulating her own image through what she puts out. 

Stop pitting her against her peers/using their careers as 'benchmarks'. She'll never be Britney, Madonna 2.0 etc. She's her own success and will continue to be. She doesn't need to change her image, her music etc. to top the charts. If the music is good and resonates with a mass audience it will sell. 

Flaviator

I agree with u, but also I love every single song she has sung and I will carry on loving her as a person. In my country and in my school Gaga has a lot of respect.

StarstruckIllusion
On 2017-12-07 at 1:08 PM, RochestrMonstr said:

This thread is hilarious. Gaga's career will go on with or without pop smashes. She hasn't had one in like six years, and she's literally doing just fine.  

Just fine? Lmao if you say so. Yeah her career won't end until her death, but why do you want her lead singles to peak @ #199 on the Hot 100? She doesn't deserve. And if you say you only care about the music, friendly reminder: high sales fund the new music we all want so badly, so don't be rude by belittling this.  

rockstrongboy

A few time ago, I truly thought all the things written in this post. “Gaga has to come back to the genre of music that made her most successful”, I said. Then, I asked to myself simple questions which helped me to realize something very important for me. What I most love of her, is the ability to surprise me everytime in all the senses.. from her strangest outfit to her courage to always experiment different music. She’s not so stupid as most of you think. She perfectly knows how to make an hit or how to sell most.. but would you appreciate more an artist who choose the easy way to be successful or an artist who continues to give us something different everytime (risking much for her carreer) and instead of this still makes people talking about her? Think about that :giggle:

3 hours ago, Wigless said:

Just fine? Lmao if you say so. Yeah her career won't end until her death, but why do you want her lead singles to peak @ #199 on the Hot 100? She doesn't deserve. And if you say you only care about the music, friendly reminder: high sales fund the new music we all want so badly, so don't be rude by belittling this.  

Having a single chart high on the Billboard Hot 100 is not going to put copious amounts of money in her bank account, album sales will. She has proven with Joanne that she can still sell albums. Not to mention that charts are also largely based on streaming, especially in 2018 since they changed how music is charted in general. 

The number one money maker is touring, and considering Gaga is selling out stadiums from an album with only one moderate chart hit, I think she is going to be just fine. 

On 12/4/2017 at 4:44 AM, Jed said:

im sorry but this is basically what every gaga fan has said about everything she's ever done to be honest. people want more of the same and gaga doesn't wanna serve that anymore. if she did she would've by now.

Jed's right.  People want what Gaga was.  Gaga wants to go her own direction. 

She may lose relevance with people who are only here for popGa if she goes a different direction.  But the number of people who appreciate music other than pop is huge, and she will do fine if she does whatever makes her happy.  I don't think she is interested in basing her decisions on what it would take to become the pop "it girl" again.  I think her interests have changed.

I live outside the space time continuum.

giskardsb
8 minutes ago, Ronk said:

Jed's right.  People want what Gaga was.  Gaga wants to go her own direction. 

She may lose relevance with people who are only here for popGa if she goes a different direction.  But the number of people who appreciate music other than pop is huge, and she will do fine if she does whatever makes her happy.  I don't think she is interested in basing her decisions on what it would take to become the pop "it girl" again.  I think her interests have changed.

I mean, we have 100% direct evidence that the pop industry can be toxic for Gaga if she doesn't balance it, yet people want her to jump right back to what she was doing because for some reason they need their stan ego to be gratified.

Gaga has different goals for herself now, and she should.  As you grow and climb some mountains, you look for other challenges.  

On 12/4/2017 at 5:45 PM, romonster said:

"3 year hiatus" makes it sound like she pulled an Adele and completely disappeared from the public eye and from the media, which is not true. Gaga released Cheek To Cheek shortly after ARTPOP, which was a big success, she starred in American Horror Story, she performed at the Grammys and Oscars multiple times and much more. She was constantly doing something.

And Joanne was exactly the type of album she had to release after Cheek To Cheek. Imagine singing jazz with Tony Bennett for 2 years and rebranding your image and gaining older fans and then going back to the same dance/pop with the next album. That would have been a complete step backwards. Perfect Illusion was not the right lead single, but Million Reasons was the perfect Super Bowl single.

If Gaga has proven anything this year, it's that she will remain relevant no matter what path she takes in the future. I really hope her next album is a big commercial success but her career certainly doesn't depend on it. And she's certainly not on Xtina/Britney level, she's on the same level as Rihanna, P!nk or Beyoncé.

I agree with this more than the original post.

Archived