💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Dr. Luke's Demise Ended Pop's Reign?

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

To start, I do not like Dr. Luke.

But asking myself, did Dr. Luke's demise bring the end to pop music's reign? 

Nielson recently revealed that Hip-Hop/R&B has become the most consumed music in 2017. This dethroned pop-rock. 

Pop music's recent reign began in the late 2000s and carried on into the next decade. 

pop-music-8546.jpg?rect=0,0,600,600&q=98&fm=jpg&fit=max

Dr. Luke's first Top 10 hit came from Kelly Clarkson in early 2005, with her song "Since U Been Gone". He wrote and produced it. His last Top 10 hit was two years ago in November of 2015, when R. City's "Locked Away" featuring Adam Levine left the Top 10. Dr. Luke had a prime that lasted a decade. Between this time he earned 41 Top 10 hits, that can be seen below:

Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
Behind These Hazel Eyes - Kelly Clarkson
U + Ur Hand - P!nk
Who Knew - P!nk
Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne
I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry
Hot N Cold - Katy Perry
Circus - Britney Spears
My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson
Right Round - Flo Rida (feat. Ke$ha)
Party in the U.S.A. - Miley Cyrus
Tik Tok - Ke$ha
California Gurls - Katy Perry (feat. Snoop Dogg)
Your Love Is My Drug - Ke$ha
Dynomite - Taio Cruz 
My First Kiss - 3OH!3 (feat. Ke$ha)
Magic - B.o.B (feat. Rivers Cuomo)
Take It Off - Ke$ha
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry
We R Who We R - Ke$ha
Firework - Katy Perry
Hold It Against Me - Britney Spears
Blow - Ke$ha
E.T. - Katy Perry (feat. Kanye West)
Till The World Ends - Britney Spears
Last Friday Night - Katy Perry
The One That Got Away - Katy Perry
Domino - Jessie J
Strange Clouds - B.o.B. (feat. Lil Wayne)
Good Feeling - Flo Rida
Part of Me - Katy Perry
Where Have You Been - Rihanna
Wide Awake - Katy Perry
Die Young - Ke$ha
Roar - Katy Perry
Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus
Timber - Pitbull (feat. Ke$ha)
Dark Horse - Katy Perry (feat. Juicy J)
Time of Our Live - Pitbull and Ne-Yo
Sugar - Maroon 5
Locked Away - R. City (feat. Adam Levine) 

Since_U_Been_Gone_Single.PNGTiK_ToK_-_Kesha_(official_single_cover).JPG
8d1348afca1ce09132c794a49a96d21d.618x618x1.jpg1200x630bb.jpg

Acts who won him two or more Top 10's

Katy Perry: 12
Ke$ha: 9 (lead and feature)
Britney Spears: 3
Kelly Clarkson: 3
B.o.B: 2
Flo Rida: 2
Miley Cyrus: 2
P!nk: 2

phb8sher4s2qbwe.jpgkesha-dr-luke-2011-ascap-bb8-2016-billboard-620.jpgrs-231260-GettyImages-109675464.jpg56th+Annual+GRAMMY+Awards+Pre+GRAMMY+Gala+MMRXwp7YRoTx.jpg

If you have a man who produced and/or wrote 41 pop-influenced top 10 hits within 10 years (30 of them being within the last 5) and then he goes away, there is obviously a gap. And who filled this gap? The answer would be producers Metro Boomin, Mike Will Made It and DJ Khaled. In the last year Metro Boomin has produced 5 Top 10 hits ("Bad and Boujee", "Bounce Back", "Congratulations" "Tunnel Vision" and "Mask Off"), Mike Will Made It has produced 4 ("Black Beatles", "Humble", "DNA" and "Rake It Up"), and DJ Khaled has produced 2 ("I'm The One" and "Wild Thoughts"). All Hip/Hop producers

01-Metro-Boomin-sxsw-portrait-2016-billboard-1548_0.jpgmike-will-made-it-sxsw-2017-billboard-1548.jpgdj-khaled-2017-cr-Clay-Patrick-McBride-billboard-1548.jpg

The acts that once relied on Dr. Luke have now (whether its a coincidence or not) struggled to have the same success they used too. Katy's first era without Dr. Luke by her side crumbled more than a crumb cake. Maroon 5 has failed to earn a Top 5 hit since their last Dr. Luke single "Sugar". Britney Spears hasn't had a hit in years. Miley Cyrus' new album lacked a Dr. Luke credit and it failed. And while Kesha had a happy comeback, we can't ignore that "Praying" did not enter the Top 20 (however, i consider her situation different because of the 5 year gap between albums as a result of legal issues). 

This could all be one big coincidence, and let me reiterate I DO NOT LIKE DR. LUKE, but it does some like there is a cause and effect relationship occurring here

Discuss.

I think it is obvious that regardless of the controversy with him, he was a great producer. But I wouldn't worry about pop music in general. There are a ton of other producers out there who will now get the chance to shine as the music industry's resident stock producer is out

sipthistea

I'm glad Gaga never worked with that b*tch 

OT: I think it's just that people got tired of big pop hits, so they are requesting a more urban type of music. I think that's why Spotify artists are reigning, while big pop stars are fading away from the top 10. 

NIghtmareElm

I think hip hop just dominated the majority of 2017.  It's just what people were into.  Dr. Luke ended his own reign though.  Daddy Antonoff is taking over.  Pop is slowly making it's way back into charts with Demi and Taylor.  

For the millionth time, pop isn't dead. This always happens. Pop and pop girls are huge for a few years from the end of a decade to somewhere in the middle of the next one. Hip hop/rap/R&B takes over for a few years. Once that fades out there's either another random genre phase or pop rises again and the cycle repeats itself. Example: late 90s-2002ish (?) pop was huge and Britney/Christina were the huge pop girls. By 2004 Outkast and Nelly and Alicia Keys (and maybe even Bey can be considered in this category) took over. Then that declined and alt rock groups like The White Stripes or emo rock like MCR took over. That lasted for a bit before pop slowly started to return aand by 2009, we had a new wave of pop girls (lead by Gaga/Kety/Kesha and maybe even the Disney girls).

viniferrett
2 minutes ago, FloatWithME said:

I think hip hop just dominated the majority of 2017.  It's just what people were into.  Dr. Luke ended his own reign though.  Daddy Antonoff is taking over.  Pop is slowly making it's way back into charts with Demi and Taylor.  

:rip::air: 

gaga save us 

1 minute ago, FloatWithME said:

Daddy Antonoff is taking over

Lorde_-_Melodrama.png

I stan him for this album along

I really don't like some of his other stuff but Melodrama just outshadows everything.

Just now, viniferrett said:

:rip::air: 

gaga save us 

Her next album is probably gonna be all Bowie and rock inspired (and I'm here for it if it's executed properly)

TheRoof

he has a lot of hit even if Tik Tok and California Gurls are practically  the  same song :reductive: 

Lextyr97
13 minutes ago, MarlonBrando7 said:

he has a lot of hit even if Tik Tok and California Gurls are practically  the  same song :reductive: 

I NEVER REALIZED THIS. I'M SHOOK 

YeehawKylie

He was definitely influential and understood the market, but he literally had two sounds: the Pop-rock of the mid-2000s and the EDM/Pop of the early 2010s. Perhaps if he wasn't an assh*le who chose to torture a young woman over his career, he would have adapted his sound and continued dominating the charts today. However, popular music is fluid and not totally reliant on the music makers. Political climates, demographics, and music technology are huge forces. Times have drastically changed and so has popular music. I think while Dr. Luke definitely had influence and accomplishments, we may be giving him a bit too much credit here...

32 minutes ago, FloatWithME said:

YAS, the world better stan for my boy Jack.

It's such a shame Luke turned out to be an asshole, he made good bops and I think he's lowkey daddy material :gum:

... and now i just sit in silence.

Archived