💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Grandma Germanotta Uncomfortable w "Joanne"?

Gracious Gaga

Featured Posts

I mean I totally understand Gaga and I would say she really did suceed in healing her family and herslef to some extent with this project, but I understand grandma too. You never want your kids or the kids of your kids to go through the same painful motions you went through, so she must have been worried about Gaga and how she was chanelling and dressing as Joanne (said by Gaga herself).

I think grandma approved to be supportive and bc Joanne is a very nice piece, but I think she would have rather had Gaga do something else.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, That J said:

My favorite line in the movie was the grandmother saying "Now don't go getting all maudlin over this!"   I laughed because I understood what she meant.  Gaga's sitting there bracing the poor woman and it HAD been 40 years. The grandmother said it was beautiful and enjoyed the song. I just felt she'd already gone through those motions so many years prior. She did seem to like the song. Personally, I had to look away for a moment during that scene because I nearly felt uncomfortable but it's one of the best parts of the film!  

THIS!

retroglamx

So my impression of the scene was:

Gaga: this is one of her rawest moments in the film. We see the grandma's granddaughter (:derpga:), the little girl seeking validation and approval from a very important family member. Trying to be "sensitive" and making sure her grandma is okay with what she's done. Once the song is done she asks: did I get it right? While she hugs her and cleans her tears. The woman really loves her family and is honoured to be able to do so through music. Still she's a little insecure granddaughter trying to get grandma's green light. Which I think it's so genuine and real and not bad at all.

Grandma: she adores Gaga but we rarely see her be affectionate with her and it almost looks awkward when there's physical contact (because of her culture maybe?). She's humbled and honoured that Gaga is paying a tribute to her late daughter and her legacy and her family's loss but she's also already had these feelings a long time ago, it's understandable that she doesn't want to flutter around those memories again, so she reminds Gaga to not dwell on the past cause it's a wound that has already healed.

Joe: "why the **** did I ask her to play it :cryga: imma casually walk out and bawl in the bathroom"

Pink flamingos always fascinated me.

fede ARTPOP

I was crying in than scene, I was waiting grandGag to get into tears and make the moment even more emotional, but...

🖤 C H R O M A T I C A 🖤

techhausmonster

I don't think she didn't want Gaga to do it, I just think she had to get used to it. It maybe seemed like she was revisiting the death of her nineteen year old daughter, so in any situation like that it's going to be a bit hard.

1 hour ago, fede ARTPOP said:

I was crying in than scene, I was waiting grandGag to get into tears and make the moment even more emotional, but...

"GrandGag" :air:

PerfectIllusion

Grandma moved on many years ago but Joe still suffers he had to leave when the song was playing and gaga was crying.

Ariana Grindr
9 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

I got the feeling the Grandma was ok with the tribute but didn't want Gaga to "make a big artistic theme" about her dead aunt she'd never met. Especially when Gaga started crying she was looking at Gaga like... "Stop...it was 4 decades ago and you didn't even know her...chill... :awkney: "

Joe I feel never "got over it" and he too still brings her up. This is why GAGA is named Joanne. The restaurant is called Joanne. So I think the "tribute" trend influenced Gaga's childhood and now she made a whole album of it.

This.

14 hours ago, retroglamx said:

imma casually walk out and bawl in the bathroom

This ! I laughed so much at that part !
"Oh, Joe is walking away... Wait, is he leaving ? Oh no, that's not the front door... So is he going to the bathroom ? But why did they include that... ?"

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

artRaver

I definitely don't think she was uncomfortable at all, if she was she would've never discussed Joanne at all on camera or let Gaga take some of her personal items to be used towards the album booklet. 

My grandma is the exact same way regarding my aunt's death. She passed away nearly 12 years ago and the only time I've ever seen my grandmother get emotional regarding her passing was when we first got the phone call regarding the news. Since then whenever when she's brought up or we go through the family photo albums/her personal items she doesn't even cry but instead reminisce over old memories and tells us not to dwell on her passing and seems to get annoyed if we do so, lol. 

✿ cherry blossom girl ✿

SilkSpectre

She didn't seem uncomfortable in. Opinion. You could tell she was real touched but a strong woman, her jaw and mouth quivered but she didn't cry. I actually thought it was a beautiful scene and that a lot of critics misinterpreted it. I'm sure Gagas grandparents learnt to be very strong about the death of Joanne for Joe's sake and still do which is why she didn't break down, it's a protective instinct. She knew that would upset Joe and Gaga too. But she said it was a beautiful piece and that Gaga was very special for making it for her and joe -how is that being uncomfortable about it? Maybe any discomfort people sensed was the fact she was hearing a song about her late daughter for the first time with camera she rolling, but I didn't sense discomfort tbh. 

The whole Joanne thing puts me off a little. Gaga wasn't alive at all to meet her Aunt, she seems to put too much emphasis on it, especially after seeing the grandmother's reaction. 

Don't visit my profile

I definitely think Gaga was expecting a different reaction out of her Grandma. Gaga was crying and I think she was really seeking her Grandma's approval/wanting her Grandma to be emotional too. I felt like Gaga kind of made the situation more about her than Joanne or her Grandma. 

"The only prisons that exist are ones we put each other in."

hoebitch11

i think because gaga is so emo... like hardcore emo, she just worries she's going to hurt herself.

Because she's very emotional. Like.. :ladyhaha::kara::trollga::bye::cryga::derpga::lolga::wtfga::laughga::firega::saladga::sis::staymad::stalkga::fthis::excuseu::interestinga::icega::queenga::what::v:

No, her grandmother didn't cry or anything but she was clearly moved by it. And it does show how different people live/deal with death. Her grandmother commented that it had been over 40 years, indicating that perhaps she's had closure. But her fathers reaction tells and different story, and I honestly found his actions in the background/leaving the room to be more powerful to me. it really made me think about how Gaga would always say how Joanne's death changed him, I think we saw that/understood it in that moment.

Archived